MBTA "Transformation" (Green Line, Red Line, & Orange Line Transformation Projects)

Does no one care about converting it to a Red Line extension anymore? Seems like a really logical thing to do.
This was never a thing that made it past the internet. And it makes little sense unless Milton and one of the NIMBYest parts of Boston is going to build towers, not to mention any environmental issues from building alongside the Neponset.

What we can see from the counts is that most passengers are using the Trolley to get from Mattapan to Ashmont and points north, with a smaller portion going to Milton / lower mills. Many of those trips would be better served by the Fairmount Line if service were frequent or the Blue Hill Ave bus lanes that are in design along with better east/west routes in Dorchester. The trolley ridership was never higher than a middling bus line regardless of which counts you use.

This was never a thing that made it past the internet. And it makes little sense unless Milton and one of the NIMBYest parts of Boston is going to build towers, not to mention any environmental issues from building alongside the Neponset.

What we can see from the counts is that most passengers are using the Trolley to get from Mattapan to Ashmont and points north, with a smaller portion going to Milton / lower mills. Many of those trips would be better served by the Fairmount Line if service were frequent or the Blue Hill Ave bus lanes that are in design along with better east/west routes in Dorchester. The trolley ridership was never higher than a middling bus line regardless of which counts you use.
Mattapan Line was designed and built with a future Red Line conversion in mind, though. Shows up in grade separation, ROW width, etc.

Mattapan Line was designed and built with a future Red Line conversion in mind, though. Shows up in grade separation, ROW width, etc.

Well, as I've said before, in the original public meetings for the "transformation" conversation was brought up in at least the Dot one, and the guy almost got tar and feathered from the public's reaction, and, the chief MBTA engineer on the project claimed there were points in the ROW in the cemetery that were not wide enough for a conversation to heavy rail, thus it wasn't technically possible. Now, obviously, the MBTA was bullshittng, since in the same meeting they were pushing the bustitution of the line as a real alternative, but, I think it's safe to say a conversion to the red line isn't politically happening any time soon.

Apropos of both nuking the Mattapan loop and of prepping the system for the Type 10s, (This is probably one for @The EGE) how are we doing on eliminating the tightest Green Line curves as listed in the Underground Station Layouts thread:

Greatly. Lechmere is 42-foot radius inner and 50-foot outer; Boylston is actually much looser at 80 (westbound) and 90 (eastbound), but the tunnel environment focuses the sound. Other tight curves (less than 75 foot radius):
  • 50-foot radius on Brattle Loop
  • 60-foot radius entering GC southbound
  • 49-foot radius on Park Street inner loop, including the SB inner track. 68-foot radius for SB outer track.
  • 55-foot radius in Kenmore Loop
  • 45-foot and 49-foot radii on the Lake Street Yard loops, several other 50-foot curves
  • 50-foot radii on Prendergast Alley (Reservoir Yard to Cleveland Circle, the alley next to Dunkies)
  • Lots of 58-to-70-foot curves in Reservoir Yard
  • A 57-foot and a 70-foot curve in Riverside Yard
  • 50-foot radii on both loops at Heath Street
If you really want to get into the weeds, I spent an whole appendix of my thesis speccing out various minimum-radii possibilities. tl;dr:
  • 45 feet is the new minimum after Lechmere is gone
  • 49 feet just needs mods to a couple yard curves.
  • 60 revenue/50 nonrevenue is possible if you move some columns at Park Street (and eliminate the inner loop) and deal with Heath Street.
  • 60 everywhere means lots of nonrevenue stuff modified, of which Brattle and Kenmore loops are the trickiest.
  • 66 everywhere (20 meters, the smallest off-the-shelf available) requires some changes to GC as well.

4 track NSRL has a better chance of being built than the bus lanes on Blue Hill Avenue.

Assuming full staffing, what is the maximum throughput they’re targeting with all the transformation projects? I’m thinking of the Cambridge Day article about the disappointment at the GLX opening, and the comment about the head ways.

Assuming full staffing, what is the maximum throughput they’re targeting with all the transformation projects? I’m thinking of the Cambridge Day article about the disappointment at the GLX opening, and the comment about the head ways.

I believe the Orange is 4.5 minutes, and the Red is 3/6 minutes on the trunk/branches respectively. That's a 40% increase in capacity on the Orange and 50% increase on the Red.

Speaking of, most of that also relies on the new signalling systems. The Red was originally tagged for 2021 (if I recall), and the T currently claims it is 55% done in 2023. The Orange was 2022, and the MBTA currently marks it as 30% done. Also, from the weekly updates, the Orange Line's signal upgrade has been on hold since the end of April. Seems like the train wreck (pun intended) of the new rolling stock is getting all of the attention, but, the signal system upgrade is also woefully behind schedule.

Last edited:

Back