MBTA Winter 2015: Failure and Recovery

Did anyone hear that the MBTA is planning to reimburse commuters in some form or fashion for being so ridiculously inconvenienced during all those snowstorms and bitterly cold weather?

It is not sure how it will do it, but the embattled transit agency is seriously looking into compensating commuters for having been forced to put up with & suffer from all those delays, storms and frigid temps while trying to get to & from work. :cool:

Did anyone hear that the MBTA is planning to reimburse commuters in some form or fashion for being so ridiculously inconvenienced during all those snowstorms and bitterly cold weather?

It is not sure how it will do it, but the embattled transit agency is seriously looking into compensating commuters for having been forced to put up with & suffer from all those delays, storms and frigid temps while trying to get to & from work. :cool:

This was talked about literally one page ago. It's also been all over the news

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Mass-Lawmakers-Take-MBTA-Ride-Challenge-296871931.html

"A number of state lawmakers from across Massachusetts are taking the MBTA to work as part of a challenge.
At least 43 members of the House and Senate have committed to the challenge of using the MBTA to get to the State House."

Yep.

Coincidentally, today the MBTA announced that it finally has enough rolling stock back in service to resume regular service on all 4 rapid transit lines for the first time since Jan 22.

Coincidentally, today the MBTA announced that it finally has enough rolling stock back in service to resume regular service on all 4 rapid transit lines for the first time since Jan 22.

mhm. A least the trains are running well until maybe this summer? Then, the heat becomes a problem, maybe? Honestly, the challenge is just political postering, but at least they will get to see some problems first hand. :)

Oh, its a "challenge" for them to use the T.

Davem -- 43 members of the House and Senate is a fair fraction of the total membership of the two bodies [160 House, 40 senate] and some of them live a considerable distance away from the State House -- out by the orbits of Neptune :)

I get the outrage over the word "challenge," but to be fair, the transit advocates on Twitter & Reddit who were calling for this happen typically phrased it as "I challenge the legislature to take the T." I've even said it before.

The State House is also in a very transit accessible location, so the challenge is pretty easy. What I really challenge them to do is take the T from Revere (Broadway corrdior) to Somerville. It's a 2 hour grand voyage all the way into Boston and back out of the city.

I get the outrage over the word "challenge," but to be fair, the transit advocates on Twitter & Reddit who were calling for this happen typically phrased it as "I challenge the legislature to take the T." I've even said it before.

The State House is also in a very transit accessible location, so the challenge is pretty easy. What I really challenge them to do is take the T from Revere (Broadway corrdior) to Somerville. It's a 2 hour grand voyage all the way into Boston and back out of the city.

Before we dismiss this as a gimmick -- Let's see a map of from where these Challengees will be departing

I'm willing to bet some will face a considerable challenge to get to the State House in a reasonable time

We need the Urban Ring as soon as possible :\

We need the Urban Ring as soon as possible :\

Every viable UR plan requires the Grand Junction ROW. The GJ isn't getting flipped to RT until there's another north-south connector for non-revenue moves.

So we can't conceivably have an Urban Ring until NSRL is done.

I just used challenge for the punchline. Really I'm outraged that this is some special thing for them that it needs to be a challenge. Thousands of their constituents do it every day, it would be nice if they weren't so detached.

Every viable UR plan requires the Grand Junction ROW. The GJ isn't getting flipped to RT until there's another north-south connector for non-revenue moves.

So we can't conceivably have an Urban Ring until NSRL is done.

It would be enormously tricky, but if it actually came down to being able to have exactly one of UR and NSRL, it probably could be done. Time-separated freight on light rail is already done in several places (albeit not under wires, but I'd be willing to bet you could safely fit a bilevel car under even trolley wires); while it wouldn't be ideal, limiting GJ moves to only a few hours each night would not be a huge issue for CR service. The hardest part would be the connections on each end to add Green Line access while still allowing CR moves.

I just used challenge for the punchline. Really I'm outraged that this is some special thing for them that it needs to be a challenge. Thousands of their constituents do it every day, it would be nice if they weren't so detached.

I agree.

It would be enormously tricky, but if it actually came down to being able to have exactly one of UR and NSRL, it probably could be done. Time-separated freight on light rail is already done in several places (albeit not under wires, but I'd be willing to bet you could safely fit a bilevel car under even trolley wires); while it wouldn't be ideal, limiting GJ moves to only a few hours each night would not be a huge issue for CR service. The hardest part would be the connections on each end to add Green Line access while still allowing CR moves.

Doesn't one of the NJ Transit trolley lines operate exactly this way?

Time separated DMUs are no different from Green Line-style trolleys. Neither are rated to the ridiculous 800,000 lb buff strength standard.

What I really challenge them to do is take the T from Revere (Broadway corrdior) to Somerville. It's a 2 hour grand voyage all the way into Boston and back out of the city.

Or 25 minutes if you take the 110 bus to Wellington and then the Orange Line one stop to Assembly. Depends where you're going in Somerville.

Back