MBTA Winter 2015: Failure and Recovery

It doesn't take a fantasy. It's already happened. In 1969. Seriously, read up on Chapter 40B. Exclusionary zoning is and has been raised to the level of a civil rights issue.

Yes. But 1969 was also during one of the most activist periods of social justice reforms this country has ever seen. I just don't see the political will for a beefed up 40B passing the state house. Not that it shouldn't be fought for, but it will be a fight.

Furthermore, land owned by the MBTA is not subject to local zoning ordinances, because they're a state agency. They usually don't exercise this power because they are too afraid, but it's there. See, for instances, the air rights over the Pike near Hynes Convention Center. MassDOT agreed to work with local neighborhood groups and the city, but that was a choice.

It might be time to play hardball with the recalcitrant towns. Either they play nice with the MBTA, or their station gets bustituted. And by play nice I mean following what bigeman312 basically wrote.

Agreed. Again though, the MBTA is not immune to political forces. If they get too assertive without the backup of the legislature, they'll get reined in.

You need to be more cynical here. Read between the lines. Whenever you hear a NIMBY whine about those topics, assume that what they really want is to exclude low-income people, unless proven otherwise.

NIMBYs have become quite adept at using the language of aesthetics and traffic-engineering to achieve their real goal, which is the exclusion of people they don't like. It can sometimes get difficult to separate genuine concern from the concern-trolling. Just be wary.

Oh I don't have illusions about that. Schools just happen to be the places where those fears become realized. Bigger class sizes. More ELL students. Higher costs. New buildings. Higher property taxes. Potential declining district quality.

Massachusetts has some of the best school districts in the nation, but it's a function of our incredibly unequal methods of organizing them. Rich towns have the most money, and therefore the best schools. That leads them to jealously guard their school district fiefdoms from anything that might disrupt the delicate balance that they've struck. That includes, of course, a certain amount of classism, but the housing markets in these high performing towns manage to keep the low-income folks down to a minimum. 40B forces towns to allow some low-income families in, often in a few hidden away high density developments.

All I'm saying is that things get nasty quick when you mess with a town's school systems. And zoning rules affect the schools because they affect the population.

It might be time to play hardball with the recalcitrant towns. Either they play nice with the MBTA, or their station gets bustituted. And by play nice I mean following what bigeman312 basically wrote.

You need to be more cynical here. Read between the lines. Whenever you hear a NIMBY whine about those topics, assume that what they really want is to exclude low-income people, unless proven otherwise.

NIMBYs have become quite adept at using the language of aesthetics and traffic-engineering to achieve their real goal, which is the exclusion of people they don't like. It can sometimes get difficult to separate genuine concern from the concern-trolling. Just be wary.

In the words of a former forum admin I used to know (that forum has since gone kaput)

BING-FREAKING-O!

How else do you explain the lack of development around several CR stations? Just off the top of my head - Grafton is a perfect example. Huge parking lot in middle of farmland and relatively few houses. Plus it's 5 minutes down the road from Westboro's station. And that's just one example on 1 commuter rail line. I'm sure there are plenty of others out there.

Grafton sits right on the Tufts campus. Which, admittedly, does look like a low-density cul de sac. But it gets commuter students as significant chunk of its ridership.

Now Westborough and Ashland? Those are two failures that need to haunt somebody's dreams for awhile.

If they reform the structure of the MBTA, granting the governor more power, he could cut off service to stations where the local community refuses to upzone/allow mixed-use development around the station...

Well, here's their opportunity. This decade has seen a ramping up of the social justice concerns, not as intensely as the 60s, but perhaps offering a chance. The Governor wants to "do something", the legislature is being pressured, there's plenty of support at the national level to do the right things nowadays, and even the Federal government is starting to move in the right direction.

The movements of the 60s and 70s got cut short. They stopped the highways, protested the wars, enacted civil rights legislation, the Clean Air Act etc. But then something changed, and we went into this period of stasis. NIMBYs figured out how to workaround the civil rights acts, figured out how to maintain segregation of the schools using zoning ordinances. The same generation that protested the Vietnam war started the Iraq war. Sometimes when I read history books about the 1950s - 1970s I feel like little has changed. The descriptions are eerie. Maybe if I feel up to it, I'll type in some quotes from Rites of Way while I still have the book. Deja vu all over again. Will this time be different?

Also, check out this article if you feel up to it: Where the white people live

I thought this map was interesting:
a38eac75b.jpg

If we really want to see a different outcome for development and transit, equity and affordability, then we're going to have to stop playing by the same rulebook that has produced segregated suburbs and anemic ridership. Change the game, or this will just be another footnote in the long list of "commissions".

I almost feel like this is a parallel to the discussion between Alon and F-Line in the other thread. If we keep playing by the FRA rulebook, which is nearly perfectly written to exclude good passenger service, then we'll never have good passenger service. While it's understandable to want to try and conform to political realities, if those politics won't permit a good thing to happen, then it won't happen until we change the politics. And fifty years from now people will be reading descriptions of this era and thinking "wow, nothing has changed."

Yes. But 1969 was also during one of the most activist periods of social justice reforms this country has ever seen. I just don't see the political will for a beefed up 40B passing the state house. Not that it shouldn't be fought for, but it will be a fight.

Agreed. Again though, the MBTA is not immune to political forces. If they get too assertive without the backup of the legislature, they'll get reined in.

Oh I don't have illusions about that. Schools just happen to be the places where those fears become realized. Bigger class sizes. More ELL students. Higher costs. New buildings. Higher property taxes. Potential declining district quality.

Massachusetts has some of the best school districts in the nation, but it's a function of our incredibly unequal methods of organizing them. Rich towns have the most money, and therefore the best schools. That leads them to jealously guard their school district fiefdoms from anything that might disrupt the delicate balance that they've struck. That includes, of course, a certain amount of classism, but the housing markets in these high performing towns manage to keep the low-income folks down to a minimum. 40B forces towns to allow some low-income families in, often in a few hidden away high density developments.

All I'm saying is that things get nasty quick when you mess with a town's school systems. And zoning rules affect the schools because they affect the population.

Busses -- LBJ is dead and buried -- he's not coming back

However, there are some valid points with respect to density and CR -- specifically:

• Towns with CR stations in or near their center should be incentivized to encourage developers to build multifamily housing combined with offices and shops in 3 or 4 story structures
  • However, the towns which are already built-out at single family density and are not hosts to significant industrial / commercial development are not likely to become urban centers anytime soon -- the vast majority of towns in the MBTA district

However the people living in those towns still need access to CR and this means lots of parking at the relatively local CR stations with good highway access
  • Some provisions need to be made to encourage local bus / jitney service to bring reverse commuters to large industrial / office parks which are near to CR stations [e.g. Anderson]

The challenge to the CR is to make it desirable for customers while being affordable -- it can not be a serious sink on the systems funds

Hence the parking in a large lot on I-495 for example has to at least pay for the costs of operation the lot and some sort of imputed value of the land involved

The Globe is doing real journalism:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...or-upgrades/jEzg2ph6H8AuApZkdEme7J/story.html

Reporter Nicole Dungca is concerned with getting the story right:
https://twitter.com/ofsevit/status/585460199273664513

Nicole Dungca ‏@ndungca 45m ago
@ofsevit Updating now. It's bonding authority.

Nicole Dungca ‏@ndungca 16m ago
@dkathunt @ofsevit It means the money is available if the T has the staff/logistics in place to go forward with the projects.

Nicole Dungca ‏@ndungca 15m ago
@dkathunt @ofsevit But that it's not in some capital project slush fund. Does that make sense? Want to make sure it's clear.

This does raise the question, though, of why the T doesn't have the staff/logistics in place.

A big problem here is that "Commuter Rail Stations" are always viewed equally. They are not equal. Matthew, I usually agree with you, but I disagree with you on this one. I think different types of commuter rail stations should each be treated in unique ways.

Park and Ride

We need to build large Park and Ride stations where Commuter Rail lines intersect major highways (128, 495). Think Littleton/495. These stations serve the purpose of getting cars off of the highway. They should have direct highway access, with their own dedicated exit(s). As much parking as necessary should be built. Cars would not be accessing these garages from small city/town streets, but rather an interstate.

Parking prices should be as low as possible (basically, if enough parking can be provided to meet commuter's needs, parking prices should approach $0). The benefit: fewer people driving into dense city/town centers, fewer people driving into the big city, fewer people driving long distances on the interstates to commute for work.

Town/Neighborhood Station

Town/neighborhood stations should exist in town centers, and dense neighborhoods. Think Waltham Station. These stations serve the people who live and work near the station. These are the stations where we need to encourage people not to drive, but rather walk/bike/bus to the station. Providing these amenities in a dense transit village encourages ridership and good land use.

Providing parking, or at least plentiful parking, at these stations is a bad idea. This would cause further congestion in the downtowns of Boston suburbs, and crunch already over-capacity streets. This would leave our smaller downtowns (Waltham), with areas dedicated for commuter cars to sit unused during the workday, when the land would be better used to serve residences, offices, etc.

--------

Treating all stations as ones that need parking, or treating all stations as ones that don't need parking is the wrong approach. Parking at Park n' Rides is great to get people to switch from highway commutes to train commutes, and should not be expensive to do so. Parking in city centers' stations is a bad idea, and degrades our urban environment, and should be dis-incentived.

This approach makes a lot of sense to me. Of course, the T spits in the face of logic by building garages in denser areas. With commuter rail it's not about pricing parking to match supply, but more about increasing supply to match demand. It also doesn't help that the T appears to have decent park and ride locations are on the subway (Alewife, Riverside, Wellington, Braintree) and serve areas of job growth (Cambridge, Longwood, Back Bay, Seaport) more directly.

One thing I didn't understand (and perhaps it's bad data), is why ridership at Westwood 128 is relatively low. It's a park and ride station with 2000+ parking spaces and only 800 or so riders per day If the MBTAs numbers are to be believed. This is a drop from 1500-2000 a few years ago. This spot is right at the intersection of 95 & 128 - seems ideal. What's going on here? Is This more of an Amtrak station than MBTA?

There are some suspicious oddities in Bluebook numbers, and the massive drop in Providence/Stoughton Line numbers is one of them. (Others include some obviously falsified counts on the Newburyport/Rockport Line from around 2007). I'm not entirely sure what to make of it.

Grafton sits right on the Tufts campus. Which, admittedly, does look like a low-density cul de sac. But it gets commuter students as significant chunk of its ridership.

Now Westborough and Ashland? Those are two failures that need to haunt somebody's dreams for awhile.

I didn't even think about how many Tufts students actually use that stop, I will admit I was wrong with that assumption. That aside, I agree about Westborough and Ashland - and those are only off the Worcester line. And there's how many other examples out there within the MBTA's system? I think the most obvious is Silver Hill, but isn't that more of a political stop than a practical stop?

Westborough and Ashland both rank in the top third of Bluebook boardings. So does Southborough (secondary village center, okay 9 access, poor 90 access).

Yes, the western half of the Worcester Line could have been better. But they're hardly dream-haunting failures as the MBTA goes. Middleborough, Abington (versus Rockland+trail), not-quite-in-Plymouth, everything about Hingham, Cohasset, and Newburyport are all worse offenders.

you're subsidizing the commutes of rich suburban residents while screwing over the needier.

and "Avg income of commuter rail riders is much, much higher than subway and bus"

Probably true, but the reality is more nuanced and less clear cut. Regarding the relatively very high commuter rail fares, while there are certainly affluent suburban towns populated with commuters flush with disposable income who have no problem with the $20 per day R/T, or more, for the commuter rail and parking each day, there are many commuter rail riders with little to no disposable income. I think many current commuter rail riders have gone down the following path: live in town, pay rent, enjoy the walkable neighborhood and incur reasonable transportation costs. A few years go by, they get married, have kids, move out to some middle class suburb for more space, a quiet street, perhaps better schools, buy two cars, then add in day car costs, higher property taxes and much higher transportation costs and many suburban dwellers find themselves just scraping by or worse.

Poverty and the working class has suburbanized over the last 30 to 40 years. Boston relationship with it's suburban areas has altered. Increasingly, many suburban residents look at those city dwellers as the ones with the excess disposable income. The yuppies, young professionals, DINKs have arrived and changed the lay of the land. When I think of the commuter rail the cash strapped commuters boarding at Brockton, Randolph, Haverhill, Attleboro, Salem, Stoughton, Framingham et. al., come to my mind just as much as investment bankers boarding at Cohasset or Manchester by the Sea. IMO, the problems of transportation equity and costs seem much more complicated than what is often portrayed in the media. Per capita income in Boston is higher than many of its suburbs. Per capita income in Cambridge is higher than the vast majority of Boston suburbs. Anecdotally, I speculate that if you evaluated disposable income, you would find residents of some middle class suburbs could have higher per capita income than urban residents, but yet those same suburban residents would still have lower disposable income than urban residents.

Long story short, I don't think scarce transit resources should be focused on commuter rail infrastructure at the expense of mass transit serving areas with high population density, but I think there has to be a recognition that suburban commuter rail fares have already exceed reasonable levels, especially compared to the relatively more reasonable subway and bus fares.

Last edited:
Park and Ride

We need to build large Park and Ride stations where Commuter Rail lines intersect major highways (128, 495). Think Littleton/495. These stations serve the purpose of getting cars off of the highway. They should have direct highway access, with their own dedicated exit(s). As much parking as necessary should be built. Cars would not be accessing these garages from small city/town streets, but rather an interstate.

Parking prices should be as low as possible (basically, if enough parking can be provided to meet commuter's needs, parking prices should approach $0). The benefit: fewer people driving into dense city/town centers, fewer people driving into the big city, fewer people driving long distances on the interstates to commute for work.

I don't think ridership has really fully recovered from the system shutdown, but leading up to the issues this winter, people at Littleton/495 were parking on the grass and on the medians -- literally anywhere you could cram a vehicle. "As much parking as necessary" is a tricky concept, but the station is basically brand new. I get apoplectic over this. Someone should've put you in charge instead.

It was revealed on the news the other day, that the MBTA seems reluctant with trying to work out a plan for things to be improved for next winter. :eek:

According to the T's Twitter account all services will be free on friday. Hopefully it's a nice day out so I'll be able to get in to the city for a bit.

I wish it was possible (and maybe it is?) to determine if this type of good press results in net new revenue generated once the loss of a day's farebox is taken into account.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...ees-resigns/uKlDkMoIskRYMZtBcvxbDP/story.html

MBTA board shake-up comes after searing report

By Nicole Dungca | Globe Staff
April 21, 2015

Six members of the board that oversees the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority have resigned under pressure from Governor Charlie Baker, officials said Tuesday, clearing the way for the governor to take control of the embattled agency.

Baker last week asked six of the seven Massachusetts Department of Transportation board members to step down as he seeks to overhaul the MBTA after its roundly criticized performance during the record winter storms.

With the board under his control, Baker will be able install new leadership and have broader latitude to help remake an agency that a panel he appointed blasted for having “pervasive organizational failures.” Baker’s transportation secretary, Stephanie Pollack, will remain on the board.

John Jenkins, the chairman of the MassDOT board, sounded a note of defiance last week when he said only the Legislature — not the governor — could take away power from the board. But the governor’s spokesman, Tim Buckley,confirmed Tuesday that Jenkins and the other five had stepped down.

“The governor is grateful for all of the members’ service to the Commonwealth, is thankful for their recommendations and looks forward to assembling a new team of transportation experts to assist MassDOT,” Buckley said in a statement.

After the MBTA stranded thousands of commuters during a disastrous winter, Baker has sought to take ownership of the troubles that have faced the beleaguered agency. An expert panel he appointed to examine the agency’s problems recommended that Baker ask for the resignations of the board members. The same panel also recommended the creation of a new board to oversee the agency for three to five years.

On Wednesday, Baker is expected to introduce newMBTA overhaul legislation that would put other proposed changes in place.

Buckley said Tuesday that the administration had received the resignation letters of the six board members who were appointed by governor’s predecessor, Deval Patrick.

Outgoing member Andrew Whittle, who has served on the board since 2009, said he believed the governor deserved a new start with the board.

“I understand the need to have fresh faces,” said Whittle, a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Janice Loux was first appointed to a separate board overseeing the MBTA under Governor William Weld nearly two decades ago. She said she resigned last week after speaking with the governor’s chief of staff, Steven Kadish.

She told Kadish she was “grateful for the opportunity of public service for 18 years,” and wished the new administration well, she said in an e-mail.

Jenkins and two other departing board members -- Dominic Blue and Joseph C. Bonfiglio -- did not return messages Tuesday seeking their comment. Outgoing board member Robin Chase, who had been appointed to the board in November, declined to comment.

The unpaid MassDOT board was formed in 2009 after several transportation departments and authorities -- such as the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority and MassHighway -- merged to form MassDOT. Under the 2009 transportation reform law, the MassDOT board was given oversight of both MassDOT and the MBTA, the region’s massive public transit agency. In 2012, the Legislature expanded the board to include seven members, including the transportation secretary.

But under the law, a new governor has little say over the T during the beginning of a term. Because the MassDOT board members are appointed in staggered, four-year terms, Baker only had one appointee on the board this winter: his transportation secretary.

Transit experts saw that as a weakness that was exposed when the T faltered during the onslaught of snow. When the T’s performance faltered during the storms, Baker initially distanced himself from the agency, saying he only had one vote on the MassDOT board.

“I thought it was a major shortcoming for the governor not to have immediate control on something as important as the transportation network that the people who elected him depend on every day,” said Stephen J. Silveira, a former MBTA official who also helped chair a commission that studied the state’s transportation systems seven years ago.

But as the historic storms piled up more snow, the governor took more public, direct responsibility of the agency, saying last week that he needs to “own the T.”

The scathing report released by the governor’s expert panel recommended several measures that would give Baker more control of the transit agency. The report said Baker should now appoint new members to the MassDOT board, as well as spearhead legislation that would increase the number of members on the board and make the transportation secretary the chairwoman.

In addition, the governor is expected to follow a recommendation to file legislation for a new oversight board that would temporarily take away the MassDOT board’s oversight of the agency. Under the recommendations from the report, the new oversight board would report to the transportation secretary and “manage and control revenues and costs aggressively.”

But it’s already clear that the new board will face skepticism.

Last week, the T’s interim general manager, Frank DePaola, said he worried that the creation of that board would undo some of the collaboration between MassDOT and the MBTA.

Thomas M. McGee, the Senate chairman of the Joint Transportation Committee, also said he will be pushing back on the panel’s findings. “They suggest a control board without identifying what that would be,” he said last week.

Whittle also questioned how the new board would produce real change.

“Does it make sense to have two boards?” he asked.

It will be good if this clearing of the decks means that Baker is going to own the problem. I've been disappointed in his sniping from the sidelines--now maybe he'll have some skin in the game.

http://commonwealthmagazine.org/politics/alvaro-critiques-mbta-panel/

Not a lot of new info in this Commonwealth Mag interview, but it's good that these things are being said.

Bold Italics my emphasis

Alvaro critiques MBTA panel
Former MassDOT board member says it's unfair to blame board, senior officials
GABRIELLE GURLEY
Apr 21, 2015

FERDINAND ALVARO UNDERSTANDS the MBTA’s finances and inner workings better than most outsiders. Ask him who is to blame for the bundle of issues that led to the transit agency’s breakdown this winter and he has a simple answer: “Everybody.”

Gov. Deval Patrick appointed Alvaro, an attorney with expertise in finance and administration, to the former MBTA board of directors in 2008, where he helped oversee the transit agency’s budget. After the 2009 transportation reforms merged the MBTA board into a single MassDOT board, Patrick reappointed Alvaro and two others, a decision which set off a firestorm of criticism.

When the MassDOT board expanded to seven members in 2012, Patrick kept the Republican on. Alvaro frequently criticized the agency for its handling of MBTA commuter rail contracts and was the only board member to vote against the 2012 fare increase. He stepped down from the MassDOT board of directors when his term expired in 2013.

Now a partner-in-charge at the law firm Gonzalez Saggio & Harlan, Alvaro applauds Gov. Charlie Baker’s decision to take a fresh look at the MBTA. But he disagrees with the special review panel’s focus on management over financial issues and Baker’s decision to ask for the resignations of six of the seven members of the MassDOT board of directors. Alvaro also says that he wasn’t aware the T was using capital funds to pay salaries.

The six MassDOT board members stepped down Tuesday. (Transportation Secretary Stephanie Pollack is the sole remaining board member.) With the exception of a defiant John Jenkins, the former MassDOT board chairman, members of the board of directors declined to comment at the group’s last board meeting earlier this month. CommonWealth turned to Alvaro to get his reading on the MBTA special panel, how a possible control board might work, the lack of oversight of the T by state lawmakers, and how business could step up.

This interview has been edited and condensed.

Who is responsible for the fix the MBTA is in?

Although the MBTA special review panel didn’t quite say it, I disagree with the implication that senior management and the MassDOT board are responsible for the transit agency’s problems. The panel report was very informative and useful and a good guide for fixing a lot of things in the future. But it’s unfair to blame the people at the helm for problems that have occurred over decades.

I was talking to somebody about this and they said, OK, so we shouldn’t blame anybody. My response was, no, you should blame everybody. Everybody who has had anything to do with that system or sat in the Legislature for the last 50 years bears some degree of responsibility for the decline, including me.

The backlog in maintenance is something that has been an issue since I joined the old MBTA board back in 2008. The problems that the panel pointed out like lax labor performance are more a function of the things that have been forced on the T by the Legislature, like the Pacheco Law and binding arbitration in their union contracts. What has been inferred—that the entire management is dysfunctional— is completely unjustified.

Why?

A lot of the people who are there are top-notch managers. I would hire [Interim General Manager] Frank DePaola to run any engineering group or the T. [Chief Financial Officer] Jonathan Davis has done the best with a bad situation.

The panel seemed to not give enough weight to the fact that the underlying cause of all of this is money. The report said that one of the reasons that the debt hasn’t been paid down is because it has been refinanced. I don’t necessarily view the refinancing as a bad thing.

The reason that debt has been refinanced is that Jonathan has done a great job of taking higher interest debt and refinancing it into lower interest debt to reduce the interest burden on the organization. Anyone who infers that the financial mess at the T is because of the CFO is just flat out wrong.

The transportation financing mechanism is deeply flawed in this state. In any business scenario, if you write a business plan and your assumptions turn out not to be true, you rewrite the business plan. The Legislature created forward funding based on a number of assumptions. Those assumptions proved to be vastly inaccurate. Forward funding wasn’t going to create the kinds of revenues that the Legislature had anticipated when it was created. They never did anything to fix the funding formula. That was one of things that drove the MBTA to take on enormous amounts of debt.

You do not agree with disbanding the current board?

As a businessman, it is always a mistake to do wholesale removals of anybody from an organization. If I were on the panel, my advice would have been that the governor should assess every board member on his or her merits and make a decision to ask that person to resign based on that assessment. You lose some institutional knowledge that will be hard to regain when you have a brand new secretary of transportation, a brand new MBTA general manager, and an entirely new board of directors.

There hasn’t been strong public opposition to a fiscal and management control board. Isn’t it a way for Baker to take responsibility and get the Legislature off the hook?

In all of this drama, the people who have been the least taken to task are state lawmakers. The people who are ultimately accountable for transportation or any public good in a democracy are public officials.

When I voted against the last fare increase, the reason I gave was that the Legislature had been completely uninterested apparently in the fate of our customers. They had not shown up with any support. There was no choice but to increase fares. I knew that my one dissenting vote would be symbolic, but I felt like I had to call them out.

Baker has stepped up. A governor can propose any innovation or reform that he or she wants. But if the Legislature doesn’t fund it, it isn’t going to happen.

I didn’t fully agree with Deval Patrick’s last transportation plan, but I agreed with a lot of it. The Legislature, while saying that they were committed to fixing transportation, stripped out an enormous amount of funding from that proposal. Again, nobody took them to task for it. I wouldn’t say that Patrick’s plan would have prevented what occurred this winter. But if the funding that he asked for had been provided, we would be on our way to fixing the problem.

Should the Legislature have been more assertive in its oversight of the MBTA?

Absolutely.

What was your experience with state lawmakers?

I don’t think that the transportation oversight committee really provides meaningful transportation oversight. The Legislature gets involved with the oversight of transportation when it is front-page news. When it isn’t, state lawmakers really leave it to the governor to deal with things.

In 2009, there was an expectation that the board would be more assertive on these issues. Some argue that the board did not step into that role. Did the board operate as a rubber stamp?

You can Google my name and see things that I said at those board meetings that would not support that there was rubber stamping going on. I and others observed regularly that the MBTA couldn’t afford to do all of the expansion that it was doing.

Ordinary expenses like salaries should not be capitalized; we actually fixed this at the MassDOT. There were many instances when management presented real estate deals or other contractual arrangements where we told them to go out and get better terms for the agency. These are things the board told them to do during executive [closed to the public] sessions.

The MBTA paid employees out of the capital budget like the state highway division did. Were you aware of that?

On a number of occasions, I indicated that it was a profoundly bad idea to capitalize operating expenses, although it wasn’t illegal or improper under accounting rules. I had not been aware that they had been doing it at the MBTA. I never commented on it because I wasn’t aware that it was going on at the MBTA. I don’t recall having discussed that practice in the context of the MBTA with anybody while I was on the board.

What do you make of employee problems like high absenteeism?

At the April MassDOT board of directors meeting, [former board member] Dominic Blue of Springfield said that it seems like that we are heading toward a time when the whole place would be unionized. Secretary Pollack said we are pretty much already there: Of more than 6,400 employees at the MBTA, roughly about 200 are not unionized.

I am not anti-union. But if you have a garage that is 100 percent unionized and you have multiple unions to deal with, it would be a real challenge for management – and perhaps an insurmountable challenge — to make sure that everybody toes the line, unless you want to be tied up with nonstop union grievances, which would be even more disruptive. If you have a crackdown, you can be sure that there will be grievances filed by the barrel.

I wouldn’t let management off the hook 100 percent, but it is a more complex issue. Management is a) constrained in what they can contract out; b) stuck with a lot of contracts that they would not have agreed to if an arbitrator hadn’t forced them to; and c) dealing with a Legislature that understands that all those unions turn out votes.

Senior managers and rank-and-file employees are in the headlines, but there hasn’t been much discussion about mid-level managers. How should they be handled?

If there is a fiscal and management control board, one of things you might want to do is to have a thorough evaluation of critical middle managers. More than in many other agencies, the T was a place where political favors were done. I support you, my cousin needs a job; fine, he’s the new so-and-so of the MBTA.

That continued for a number of years and, to some extent happens today, though not in as drastic a way as it used to occur. When you have an organization where some of the hiring decisions are made based on politics rather than capability and where many of the people who were hired on that basis are still in the organization, you get a fair number, not to say all, but some unqualified people. A lot of people are coming up on retirement. Typically what happens is that the good people will leave because they will have other employment opportunities, and the not-so-good people will stay.

Should every governor get to appoint a board of directors?

The terms should be set so at least a majority of the board is replaced when the administration changes. You don’t need to change the law. To do that, you just need to set people’s terms so it works that way. What that majority is depends on the party of the governor who is appointing. If it’s a Democrat, four Democrats; if it’s a Republican, four Republicans. It was slightly disingenuous of our previous governor to reappoint so many people whose terms were going to continue years into the new governor’s administration.

What qualifications should board members have?

You don’t need seven transportation experts on the board; that’s not necessarily a good thing. You need a solid financial person and a solid engineer. To me, [MIT civil engineering professor] Andrew Whittle was one of the most valuable members of the board. In an organization where more than 90 percent of the employees are unionized, it is sensible to have somebody on the board who can share the union’s perspective.

Should a board member be compensated?

MassDOT board positions should not be paid. However, as I read the tasks of the proposed fiscal and management control board, they don’t seem to be things that can be done at once-a-month meetings over a three-year period.

If I wanted to effect drastic change, I would create something akin to the Massachusetts Gaming Commission, which is a dedicated, full-time compensated group of people with the necessary skill sets to do what needs to be done.

Should riders take on more of the MBTA’s financial burden by paying higher fares?

Secretary of Transportation Pollack is looking at a restructuring of the fares so that people with less means will pay less. I applaud the idea of doing it on a needs-based basis. My neighbors who commute in from Marblehead and take the train from Swampscott can very easily afford an increase in their commuter rail fees.

State lawmakers point to the success of the gas tax indexing repeal as evidence that voters don’t want to pay more taxes for public transportation improvements.

It is a paradox in the transportation space. Folks that represent the disabled say, don’t you dare stop making accessibility improvements, which is an enormous part of the budget. Elderly folks say, I know you’ve got a big problem but don’t you dare cut back The Ride.

One of the groups that has benefited the most from public transportation, and they essentially get it for free, is the business community. One of the things, I proposed on my time on the board that never got anywhere was a reinvention of the basic transportation funding formula that would take into account the transit benefits that businesses get.

Now I am a good Republican. I do not lightly say that business taxes should be increased. But as somebody who knows a little bit about transportation and the value that it provides to our economy, it would be appropriate to do two things. They would both have a salutary effect on the system. Assess businesses some portion of the cost of transportation, and, in exchange for that, give business a place at the table in the management of the transportation system. The price of admission would be you pay some portion, in some way, of the cost of the transportation system.

Do you think the MBTA is up to the challenge of preparing for the 2024 Olympics?

That is an interesting question. If the Legislature makes a real commitment to make the kind of investment that’s required to bring the infrastructure up to snuff, then the answer is yes. If the Legislature does not make that commitment, then the answer is no.

The T can’t do anything unless it has the money. So the bar is higher now than it was before this past winter. Before this past winter the question was, can we execute all the expansion projects that would be necessary to accommodate the Olympics? The question now is, can we fix the core system and accomplish all the expansion that would be necessary to accommodate the Olympics?
If you really want to accelerate that process, and we should want to accelerate that process, put people on the control board who are going to work on the problem on a full-time basis and get paid for it. If you do that, the time horizons shrink.

I'm really over people saying this report was "scathing" or "searing" or any other "s" words that end in "ing." The leaking of the report to the press in the days before its release focused on how poorly run the T was and how terrible the T employees are, but anyone who actually read the report knows it was more balanced than that. I'm not saying I agree with everything in it at all, but taken as a whole, it was nowhere NEAR as bad as it has been made out to be. It calls for separating capital spending and operational spending and actually calls for a new, dedicated capital fund for the T.

Back