Meadow Glen Mall Redevelopment | Medford

nico

Reaction score
My apologies - this is nothing but hearsay.

There's been a lot of talk that the Meadow Glen Mall (Medford) and the Shaw's across the street will be closed as part of a major redevelopment. Talk of the mall closing has been around for years, however, I understand that employees at Kohl's received an official notice recently.

Again, sorry for posting hearsay, but my wife thinks it's peculiar that I spend so much time on this site and for once was hoping she might actually get some useful info out of me.

I lived in Uncle Arthur's """"luxury"""" apartments right next door for 8 months in 2002.

At the risk of sounding likely snob, we used to call it the "Ghetto Glen Mall" despite having fond memories of going there as a kid.

I live around the corner from the mall and I've heard a few stories too. I've heard Walmart would take the site and build a "super" Walmart. I've also heard the site would be redeveloped similar to Station Landing. I've heard Market basket was going to move into the Shaws building.

Theres alot of talk but none of it from anyone I'd really listen to. As with most gossip there is probably some basis of truth though.

Everyone calls it the ghetto glen btw

Nobody who talks knows and nobody who knows is going to talk. Even if true, anyone affiliated with such a deal would know not to talk about it, but competitors would have an incentive to start rumors. So the whispers could be true or it could be ordinary post-Christmas de-staffing.

There's too much at stake during Christmas to give even a whiff of closing, but by Jan 15th people know who survived and who didn't (Circuit City went out of biz between Jan 17 and Jan 31, 2009).

Personally, I think that whole area around Meadow Glen--including Shaws and the former Colonial Mercury sites--is ripe for redevelopment. Great views of the Mystic with the Boston skyline beyond (if you build up), great proximity, and yes, a perfect place for any of the following retailers who missed out on the Everett Target/Costco/Home Depot/Best Buy "nexus"

Three come to mind:

-Market Basket, which is sorely needed on the discount-end of the market as Whole Foods and Shaws divvy the Johnny Foodmaster carcass. Market Basket has done very well at building big, new stores in slightly-gritty areas.

-WalMart which would fill a huge hole in their map between their Lynn, Quincy and Framingham locations. As with Market Basket, this is a good location where with a "big draw" retailer, the big families from up Rt 28 can shop alongside the immigrants from along Rt 16.

-IKEA is the ultimate "big draw" retailer, but drifted apart from Assembly Square for good reasons--the site became too valuable as TOD and too crowded for their auto-centric model. But IKEA would know that they could still profit from a North suburban location.

not super familiar with the area, whats the opportunity for a station landing, assembly sq. style mixed use with lots of residential? If its a walmart and a market basket, thanks but no thanks.

whats the opportunity for a station landing, assembly sq. style mixed use with lots of residential?

It's more or less kitty corner across the 28/16 intersection from Station Landing, so I'd guess as high as it would be anywhere else in Medford. If a rework of that intersection gets tied in to get pedestrians over to Wellington, could be great.

It's a little ways down from Station Landing - not so connected to Wellington Circle. Could actually be a good place for a new Medford High School as their football stadium (field) and hockey rink is right there. The river would be walking distance for their crew teams as well. There's already two middle schools and an elementary school there now.

Looking at an aerial, between Riverside Ave to the north and Rt. 16 to the south, and Locust St. to the west and Rt 28 to the east, what I'd like to see is a massive continuation of station landing type development on a much larger scale.

Medford already has a fairly new high school (1971). It doesn't need another.

I won a bet with myself that you would have something to say about this.

Medford is having to put huge money into this "new" high school - it's falling apart. Also, It's in a far-flung part of the city. It's never been a popular location.

I was surprised to learn that the Meadow Glen Mall contains a bookstore. Not many malls do, anymore. What's it like?

The mall's store directory doesn't include a link to the store's website, nor can I find one by Googling or Yelping.

I was surprised to learn that the Meadow Glen Mall contains a bookstore. Not many malls do, anymore. What's it like?

The mall's store directory doesn't include a link to the store's website, nor can I find one by Googling or Yelping.

It's more of a small thrift shop than a book store. It fairly unorganized collection of books, old magazines, new and used DVDs, and random local sports apparel.

Old Country Buffet is packed at 2pm for dinner from all the old folks in the neighboring elderly apartments. Its kind of run down and dirty most of the time.

I live within a five minute walk from Meadow Glen and while I haven't heard about the new development, I do know that the iParty maybe leaving pretty soon. I was there about a week ago and 4 spots were empty and another is just a seasonal Toys'R'Us.

Within the past 18 months, three 4-story apartments have been constructed on Locust St. which shares with the mall and Shaws.

This Mall is in the same working-class style as the N.Woburn Mall off Washington St. and Rt. 128, which has undergone an exterior revamp. The variety of stores has improved also and the parking lot is always crowded. Meadow Glen (which replaced a drive-in theatre) will need a similar revamp if it's going to survive, unless the owner is holding out for some other kind of development. I'm afraid it gets too much competition from Assembly Sq. and the retail up Rt. 16 in Everett.

Yes Padre, I believe Medford had two twin drive-ins at one time. The Meadow and the Glenn, where the mall is now, and the Medford Twin Drive-in over by Kappy's at Wellington Circle. Perhaps Ron can verify.

Both Medford drive-ins are before my time, but yes, they are both documented at CinemaTreasures.com .

Oh snap. I'm going to have to swing by for some orange chicken at Panda Express before it goes away.

At the Somerville Museum holiday party tonight, I heard the same rumor that was reported here -- that the leases at Meadow Glen Mall are running out and the whole thing might get replaced by a Wal-Mart.

Plus, who really gains from reducing the retail diversity on this property? Closing the mall would put a bunch of small shops out of business, as well as Kohl's and Marshall's.

Back