MFA Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking the same exact thing.

img5180tg9.jpg

img5179jl3.jpg

img5177vs5.jpg

OUCH! :cry: I'm going to miss that courtyard garden with its fountain and statues. I know the new wing will probably be spectacular (I live in hope) but it does hurt to see the old fabric torn away....feels like a wake.

Padre Mike said:
OUCH! :cry: I'm going to miss that courtyard garden with its fountain and statues. I know the new wing will probably be spectacular (I live in hope) but it does hurt to see the old fabric torn away....feels like a wake.
...and to think of all that PARKING LOT they could have colonized.

Do you mean?

ablarc, question - are you saying that the MFA should have built on the parking lot outside the west wing, instead of on the east side?

If so, hold your breath. That parking lot will be replaced with a new wing, as well. It's in Phase II of Mr. Rogers grand plan.

Donations being accepted as we speak.

Re: Do you mean?

JimboJones said:
ablarc, question - are you saying that the MFA should have built on the parking lot outside the west wing, instead of on the east side?
Every parking lot in every urban place should be built on before anything old and nice is demolished.

If so, hold your breath. That parking lot will be replaced with a new wing, as well.
Good news. Will they build a parking garage?

It's in Phase II of Mr. Rogers grand plan.
Rogers ...or Foster?

As far as I know ...

Hi.

As far as I know, plans for a West Wing addition are part of the Museum of Fine Arts "Master Site Plan". This addition is not a part of the current phase. An architect for the West Wing addition has not been chosen.

Additional parking is included in future phases.

Phase 1, currently under construction, includes a new covered courtyard, relocation of the main information desk to the main Huntington Avenue entrance, reopening of the Fenway entrance facing the Emerald Necklace, expanded gallery space for the American Collection, a new auditorium, expanded administration office space, centralized conservation facilities, relocation of the Gund "special exhibitions" gallery space, and a new, permanent Wallace & Gromit toy shop.

Please don't focus on the negative!

Re: As far as I know ...

JimboJones said:
Phase 1, currently under construction, includes a new covered courtyard, relocation of the main information desk to the main Huntington Avenue entrance, reopening of the Fenway entrance facing the Emerald Necklace, expanded gallery space for the American Collection, a new auditorium, expanded administration office space, centralized conservation facilities, relocation of the Gund "special exhibitions" gallery space...
Ahh. Sounds great..

JimboJones said:
...and a new, permanent Wallace & Gromit toy shop.
Wait...what? :?:

Re: As far as I know ...

JimboJones said:
Additional parking is included in future phases.
Parking's OK; parking lots are not.

Hope it's not lots; in addition to what those do to destroy the urban experience, they'll require demolition of buildings.

Again, you ignore functionality ablarc... parking lots are good, because unless theres enough of them people like me have to pay outrageously to park their vehicle.

I wonder if in your 'urban experience' cars fold up into a suitcase that's miraculously not too heavy to carry around with you.

stay off the crack

Bobby Digital said:
Again, you ignore functionality ablarc... parking lots are good, because unless theres enough of them people like me have to pay outrageously to park their vehicle.

I wonder if in your 'urban experience' cars fold up into a suitcase that's miraculously not too heavy to carry around with you.

stay off the crack

two things:

-- i'll take that kind of crack.

-- ease up.

singbat said:
Bobby Digital said:

stay off the crack

two things:

-- ease up.

why drive and park when you can take the train?

jediot said:
singbat said:
Bobby Digital said:

stay off the crack

two things:

-- ease up.

first off. you probably shouldnt joke about smoking crack. you obviously havent seen its effects first hand.

second, no i wont ease up. who are you?

and id love to take the train, id take it everywhere, but the darn thing stops seems to stop running.

^wow, I can't believe you just seriously argued in favor of parking lots on an urban development forum. Good luck finding any friends on that issue. No matter how you twist it, parking lots are probably the "structures" that most destroy a place's urbanity. They take what could be used to build housing, offices, entertainment (or even better - mixed use!), and turn it into a wasteland. Sure they make a place more car friendly, but at the expense of pedestrians, streetlife, and public transportation.

I frankly don't care if you have to pay large amounts of money for a parking spot, it gives more cash to the city. And maybe it would cause you to move into the city, improving the city's economy, air quality, and atmosphere. If you really insist on driving, the only acceptable parking is underground. Like ablarc keeps saying: ANYTHING is better than a parking lot.

Bobby Digital said:
jediot said:
singbat said:
Bobby Digital said:

stay off the crack

two things:

-- ease up.

first off. you probably shouldnt joke about smoking crack. you obviously havent seen its effects first hand.

second, no i wont ease up. who are you?

and id love to take the train, id take it everywhere, but the darn thing stops seems to stop running.

"i'm the guy who does his job. you must be the other guy." ;-)

There's no excuse to create more parking when there's a T stop at the front door.

Prepare to have your minds blown....

I am siding with [edit]Bobby Digital[/edit] on this one.

I do not think that parking lots are bad in-and-of themselves. They serve a very urgent need, allowing people from far away to go to a place, stay, and store their cars.

Parking lots can and do destroy the urban fabric, there is no doubt about it, BUT they don't have to if they are well placed. Go to Lexington and tell me their Muni parking lot destroys the fabric of Lex Center.

Not everyone can take public transit, nor should everyone. But on the same note, not everyone should drive, thus requiring large parking lots.

We need parking otherwise people couldn't get into downtown from places with no transit. We don't need seas of parking like LA or Houston, but we do need parking. If no one could park in downtown Boston ever then the city wouldn't be able to grow. And before you say "Oh look, European cities don't have lots of parking..." You are right, but those are cities that aren't growing.

Also Dude, telling someone to lay off the crack and then faulting someone for making a joke about crack use is somewhat hypocritical. Just sayin'

In most cases I agree with those who believe parking lots are a detriment and should be eliminated, but when it comes to the MFA I think it becomes a question of access. The MFA isnt some mom and pop corner store, it's an important cultural epicenter. Not everyone can live in Boston or within walking distance of a T station. And to be honest, the T's coverage sucks, even within the city. In many cases, a car is the absolute best option for coming into and getting around the city.

If we had reliable public transportation with universal coverage then I would say remove every single parking garage in Boston. But we most certainly do not have that... not by any stretch of the imagination.

Parking garages are a necessary evil, at least for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back