MGM Music Hall (née Fenway Theater) | 12 Lansdowne St | Fenway

Simple issues don't need more words.

cca

I was serious when I asked for your suggestions, you're an architect. Better facade design sounds more like a slap down. Or a lazy answer. Sorry to have bothered you.

if you're all talking about the vertical "fenway" signage on either side, yeah -- that's obviously lit-up signage. those are clearly not banners.

Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to. And, if in fact, they are lit-up signage, even better than banners!

It's a theatre! It's in an entertainment area! Banners are festive, they add color and dimension to grab your attention the same way that neon signs and all the new LED light boards do. This is actually a perfect location for banners.

I disagree. I think the marquee and the vertical signage already provide plenty of visual interest without resorting to gimmicky tricks like banners. I’m not suggesting they need to change anything about the exterior of the building.

u7Ahf5L.jpg

Current site:
Screen-Shot-2019-02-26-at-3-59-48-AM.png

44929962872_4ae071dc63_o.jpg

Previous version:
FenwayTheaterGroundView.jpg

fenwayce001.jpg

fenwaybleacher-850x478.jpeg

Shhh.... **collective sniffle.**
prd-meth01-idx-bg.boston-2-5.jpg

Last edited:
Behind the lit "FENWAY" signage:

XDCAANh.jpg

If the banners are the biggest problem we can find with this theater, then the project's a win.

I'm not convinced those are banners anyway. They look to me more like video panels. So yes, sort of banners, but not in the traditional sense. Look at some of the larger images posted by stick n move, they look more like veins, with some three dimensionality.

Note this one, in particular:

Screen-Shot-2019-03-12-at-7-54-00-PM.png

I'm not convinced those are banners anyway. They look to me more like video panels. So yes, sort of banners, but not in the traditional sense. Look at some of the larger images posted by stick n move, they look more like veins, with some three dimensionality.

Note this one, in particular:

Screen-Shot-2019-03-12-at-7-54-00-PM.png

I'm surprised that the grey paneling isn't "Fenway green."

I just saw this tweet. Does anyone have a B&T subscription? Interested in knowing which groups are squawking about the "intrusive" redesign.

Steve Adams
‏ @SteveAdamsTweet
1h1 hour ago

Groups criticize "intrusive" redesign of @fenwaypark including loss of bleacher seats to make way for event facility, concert hall https://www.bankerandtradesman.com/groups-target-fenway-park-redesign/

If this is what it sounds like, then amen, go "groups."

Build the theater as proposed. Just but don't rip out the upper bleachers.

EDIT: Also, public comments are posted (pdf).

Last edited:
What a shame. Should have been at least 900 feet tall. Bostonification strikes again.

I just saw this tweet. Does anyone have a B&T subscription? Interested in knowing which groups are squawking about the "intrusive" redesign.

Steve Adams
‏ @SteveAdamsTweet
1h1 hour ago

Groups criticize "intrusive" redesign of @fenwaypark including loss of bleacher seats to make way for event facility, concert hall https://www.bankerandtradesman.com/groups-target-fenway-park-redesign/

"Intrusive" and "redesign" are a bit much. It's a few rows of the worst seats in the park for some tables and chairs that might actually be nice to use during a game. It's not like they're leveling the bleachers and moving the triangle in 20 feet.

Wait until the Sox someday get to the point where they need to gut and replace the lower seating bowl to remain competitive. All of the squawkers will come out of the woodwork and make it sound like Penn Station is being leveled again.

Anyway, people are the worst.

If this is what it sounds like, then amen, go "groups."

Build the theater as proposed. Just but don't rip out the upper bleachers.

EDIT: Also, public comments are posted (pdf).

Thanks!

I never went that deep into the website to realize that they post the public comments. Some of those are pure gold.

As a journalist, I've covered planning board meetings and I've seen all the NIMBY folk come out and air their grievances. The projects usually get pushed though in the end. With a few modifications, this will get approved as well. This is just par for the course. I, honestly wouldn't look too much into this.

However, if this doesn't get approved because of these rich sloths, then this city really hasn't grown as much as I thought it had and Boston really does whatever it deserves. We'll be our own special little place that can't get with the times.

Ppl need to look at the bigger picture, if you run this thing into the ground, shitty parking lot stays, a needed theater capacity is not added to the stock of the city. Theyre not building luxury condos here... If 2 rows of nose bleeds need to go to build an ENTIRE theater, so be it.

Ppl need to look at the bigger picture, if you run this thing into the ground, shitty parking lot stays, a needed theater capacity is not added to the stock of the city. Theyre not building luxury condos here... If 2 rows of nose bleeds need to go to build an ENTIRE theater, so be it.

Stick, we've been over this. The "Fenway Park Improvements" (i.e., removal of the bleachers) and the parking lot "Fenway Theater" project are entirely independent from one another. They are, in practice, two separate projects. You are framing a false choice. The theater project in no way hinges on the bleacher removal.

What was gone over before is whether the bleachers need to be removed in order to have room to build the theater. They dont. As of now though as a project they are connected. If they are cool with eliminating that part from the project and still building the theater, great. All I was saying is if theyre not cool with that and will only build the project as planned with all parts, I hope people would be fine with a couple bleachers going, thats all. If they dont need it in its entirety and will settle for only part of the project, thats great too. Whats important is the theater is built.

Stick, we've been over this. The "Fenway Park Improvements" (i.e., removal of the bleachers) and the parking lot "Fenway Theater" project are entirely independent from one another. They are, in practice, two separate projects. You are framing a false choice. The theater project in no way hinges on the bleacher removal.

I clearly haven't been around for a few years, and this thread is the perfect example of why.

Have you seen FSG's CD/bid set? Are you a structural expert who can warrant this is "two separate projects?" Perhaps you're an engineer who knows the MEP are "two separate projects."

C'mon, this is an incredibly complicated build involving at least three existing structures (as described in the PNF), all heavily-modified over time, with compressed deadlines to phase pieces in during off-season, all on a tight construction site.

I'm not a huge fan of losing seats (though, as others point out, it'll likely create more SRO capacity), but for fuck's sake, is screaming into the void of the internet really doing anything for you? In my opinion, FSG has gone above and beyond demonstrating their committment to Fenway Park so I gotta trust they know what they're doing here.

I was serious when I asked for your suggestions, you're an architect. Better facade design sounds more like a slap down. Or a lazy answer. Sorry to have bothered you.

Don't know if you noticed, but I PM'ed you about this post. You should read it. Its an apology. :)

cca

cca, didn't notice...until yesterday evening. Thanks for your note and apology accepted, of course. I was also pretty curt with my response...my "lazy answer" response went a bit too far, sorry about that. Just sent a PM to you!

Den

Last edited:

Back