MGM Music Hall (née Fenway Theater) | 12 Lansdowne St | Fenway

Look closely and you can see where the rows of seats are being removed
E4C89C0F-269E-4812-9BFF-282BAE2F8316.jpeg

Why dont the redsox build a museum? It seems like an absolute no brainer. The amount of historical artifacts they must have from over 100 years of play must be crazy. It would be a huge hit especially for tourists to the city taking in a game.

I think the city needs a whole new, stand alone sports museum. The Sports Museum at TD Garden is nice, but imo it just doesn't do justice to the breadth of our city's (and region's) sporting history. Sorry for getting off topic.

Why dont the redsox build a museum? It seems like an absolute no brainer. The amount of historical artifacts they must have from over 100 years of play must be crazy. It would be a huge hit especially for tourists to the city taking in a game.
They basically do, it's called the Royal Rooters club behind right/center field.

I still maintain that this city needs a Boston Museum. I pitched something to that effect in the comments for the new Top of the Hub space at the Prudential Center, but think a ground-level standalone museum could accomplish the same goal. Not only could a Boston Museum celebrate Boston professional sports, athletic innovations, and Boston-bred athlete origin stories in one exhibit hall, but it could also showcase a host of other fascinating history, inventions, milestones, and stories specific to the City.

Incidentally, commissioning a Boston Museum would be a fitting way to celebrate the city's quadricentennial in 2030. Your move, Mayor Wu! ;)

A Boston Museum was proposed for one of the Greenway ramp parcels, but that ended up resting with Tip O’Neill’s corpse.

Yup,IIRC, there were going to be 2-3 museums along the Greenway - - to make it a smaller versiion of the Washington Mall with the Smithsonians etc - - a nice concentration for tourists. One was to be the City of Boston History Museum. I think the others were going to about art or shipping or industry, etc.

A boston history museum along the greenway would have been a great idea imo.

Yup,IIRC, there were going to be 2-3 museums along the Greenway - - to make it a smaller versiion of the Washington Mall with the Smithsonians etc - - a nice concentration for tourists. One was to be the City of Boston History Museum. I think the others were going to about art or shipping or industry, etc.

I vaguely remember the Peabody Essex spinning the idea of a Boston location at the Greenway.
That never really got off the ground floor.

I think it was two museums and a YMCA.

The Horticultural Society's Garden Under Glass was the other museum. The Boston Museum proposal was boat-shaped. Sad...

Mayor Wu? A potential legacy...?

The green part already looks like its been there forever. Is that painted sheet metal?

Back