Midtown Hotel Redevelopment | 220 Huntington Avenue | Back Bay

I like it, too, but mostly because it reminds me of some of the hotels surrounding Disneyland in the 70s and 80s...It never seemed to quite fit in at the location on Huntington, though.

It's the right building in exactly the wrong place. In style and form, it violates the rules of the street. It is, in short, an interesting anomaly.

Whacked out idea: Boston doesn't have a Standard Hotel, and the Midtown's design is truly simpatico with their brand. Perhaps this wee hotel could be incorporated into such a plan, with a thin tower replacing part of its footprint.

Whacked out idea: Boston doesn't have a Standard Hotel, and the Midtown's design is truly simpatico with their brand. Perhaps this wee hotel could be incorporated into such a plan, with a thin tower replacing part of its footprint.

In a less reactionary town a sliver tower could be a seriously considered option with the low rise section getting the Verb Hotel treatment, not here though.

That is where one of the 09-11 terrorists stayed before going to Logan Airport & boarding Flight 175.

In a less reactionary town a sliver tower could be a seriously considered option with the low rise section getting the Verb Hotel treatment, not here though.

This is why we can't have nice things...

That is where one of the 09-11 terrorists stayed before going to Logan Airport & boarding Flight 175.

Not to be the on-topic taliban, but how does this morsel of information advance the discussion?

Back on topic, this is a great place for office development, since the E line is under capacity in the reverse-peak direction (outbound morning, inbound evening).

Not to be the on-topic taliban, but how does this morsel of information advance the discussion?

Possible answer: When any redevelopment of this gets rejected due to being placed on the National Historic Registry? Not that I'd support it, though.

Look what Dallas did to shamelessly exploit the Texas Book Depository.

Personally, I'd think that makes it more of a reason to raze the place.

Cool. Maybe Marty + Boston Plans have the site eyed for a very tall tower.

Question - if the mid-town hotel site is selling for more than the One Dalton site, how does putting up a building half the size make financial sense? I of course understand that 1) its most likely a larger parcel, and 2) land values have gone up, but still. Its a 20% increase to lease the land to build a 300 footer?

Yes, PLUS the site is sufficiently long to hold a 300 + 600' easily.

Here's a spot where a *thin spire could ascend well above the occupied floors.

*neighbors already forming an army to stop it.

Yes, PLUS the site is sufficiently long to hold a 300 + 600' easily.

Here's a spot where a *thin spire could ascend well above the occupied floors.

*neighbors already forming an army to stop it.

This will likely be a NIMBY war to remember.

I could see similar height to the apartments across Cumberland st and then a step up to a high rise towards mass ave. Especially since the spaceship building is already there mitigating new shadow impacts on the plaza.

Yea I have a tough time seeing anything of height on this site, there's 3 story brownstones abutting this

Facadectomy the row of brownstones w/ thin set back/ step ups.

then 984' @ the spire's tip!

i (too) assumed it was over the line, and didn't want check to confirm.

That line needs to be moved a couple hundred feet over.

Back