Midtown Hotel Redevelopment | 220 Huntington Avenue | Back Bay

If this is true we can forget about notable size building here. Maybe 10 stories at best! I was hoping the same developers of One Dalton would make a play here.

If this is true we can forget about notable size building here. Maybe 10 stories at best! I was hoping the same developers of One Dalton would make a play here.

From the Globe article,
“As a pillar of the community, The First Church of Christ, Scientist is being very deliberate in the selection process to ensure a highly qualified developer will produce something that complements the Plaza and the surrounding neighborhood.”
Complements is not a synonym for overwhelms.

The First Church is only leasing the land, so the only NIMBY's voice that needs to be considered is that of the First Church. My guess, -- no shadows on the plaza and certainly none that reach the Mother Church, even on winter solstice.

From the Globe article,

Complements is not a synonym for overwhelms.

The First Church is only leasing the land, so the only NIMBY's voice that needs to be considered is that of the First Church. My guess, -- no shadows on the plaza and certainly none that reach the Mother Church, even on winter solstice.

Past planning for this site capped the height at 11 or 12 floors, depending on floor configuration, similar to the Greenhouse Apartments and Colonnade Hotel. Shadow issues plus minimal sight line from St. Botolph Street.

Now that the Midtown project has a potential developer and the former BU Theater complex in underway that leaves the 2 story block next to Symphony Hall. I have never heard of any interest in developing that.

Trivia: The Midtown Hotel was so named because across the street on the site of the CSC Plaza once stood the Midtown Theater later renamed the Sack Capri Theater before being demolished.

How can that area be 500' by the FAA yet a block away they allow One Dalton?

Because the Midtown Hotel parcel/s falls inside the Runway 9-27 airway flight path.

1 Dalton is located just beyond the boundary of the airway.

It would be nice to see that old sign saved and reused somewhere.

National Development has finalized ground lease for Midtown site. Housing planned.

kmp -- looking at that aerial shot -- I'm guessing they will give us some more of the stuff just up Huntington Ave -- sort of if deference to the neighbors behind on the next street

As in we're ready to propose 40 story slabs -- but rather than fighting us -- how about we do more of what's already been there for a couple of decades next door.

I can't remember a time when I didn't walk by the Midtown and think what a waste of prime real estate it is. That's not a snob comment - I know as an affordable motel Midtown served its purpose well for years - but this site is so big and so central that it just BEGS for a worthy build-out.

Fingers and toes crossed the final plans reflect this crazy opportunity.

I might be walking in front of the firing squad by saying this, but I hope the proposal is mindful about shadows on CS plaza. It is a gem and I think its unobstructed southern exposure is valuable.

I'll be shocked if it goes over 250 ft. It's abutting a row of Southend Brownstones.

I'd be happy if it continues at the height of Colonnade Hotel and with better street activation.
I am pretty sure this site is included in the Christian Science Center Master Plan. And the designation is for height equivalent to the Colonnade Hotel and Greenhouse Apartments.

I am in agreement that this will probably end up like the Collonade. My hope is different. I see no reason that there should not be TWO taller buildings here, separated by the extension of Blackwood St. though St. Boltoph to Huntington Ave. Two buildings the same height as 116 Huntington, with a podium of 5-8 stories. If anything close to this happens I would be shocked. It makes too much sense.

Back