Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Filene's

This might have been covered and I missed it, but does this project have a new name or is it still One Franklin?

This might have been covered and I missed it, but does this project have a new name or is it still One Franklin?

Millennium Tower is what they chose to call it so far. (according to all the press)

Downtown Crossing is now being renamed Millenium Crossing. They're also buying the rights to rename the MBTA station. Also, Washington Street is now Millennium Street.

You're kidding, right? The name "Washington Street" goes back to 1820. If place names don't have historical protection, they should.

You're kidding, right? The name "Washington Street" goes back to 1820. If place names don't have historical protection, they should.

Ask Google maps to find 100 Washington St in Boston Suffolk and it will come up with locations in five different Boston zip codes. Google is investing in the building, and one less stretch of Washington St in Boston will help Google maps immeasurably.

Ask Google maps to find 100 Washington St in Boston Suffolk and it will come up with locations in five different Boston zip codes. Google is investing in the building, and one less stretch of Washington St in Boston will help Google maps immeasurably.

I vote for Orange St. -- it predates the visit of that miscreant rebel who returned to Boston as President

Millenium Crossing is the new toponym. Millenium Way will be replacing Franklin Street and Washington Street will be renamed Menino Way. Because those Franklin and Washington fellows aren't as important politically to world class 21st century Boston as King Tom and the MPs. :rolleyes:

I vote for Orange St. -- it predates the visit of that miscreant rebel who returned to Boston as President
With a statue of William of Orange at one end, and a statue of Robert Emmet at the other. A Boston compromise!!

San Francisco has an Emmet statue, so why not Boston as well?

Alternatively, Benjamin Franklin Keith Way. Keith: theater magnate, vaudeville entrepreneur, and the man I believe who had the first motion picture theater in Boston, showing Lumiere Cinematographe productions.

0611_Filene_%20Rendering.jpg

The design's not bad, and I am happy that it got taller. I wish that the Financial District/DTX had more tall buildings...this building would be excellent if it could just be sort of "lost in the crowd" among towers.

I would bet there will be a new tower on the Macy's site someday. Maybe Macy will move into the old Filenes building, clearing the way for a new project.

Re: Sketchup model in Google Earth

This post just became extremely relevant now that we are getting a 600 footer and it actually looks almost exactly like this thank you.

Gents,

I wanted to get an idea of how a 600ft tower would look in the Filene's location, so I recreated the original rendering, and added the additional height. The building is exactly the same height at the Federal Reserve, not counting the mechanical floors and a decorative mast I threw in. Here are the views from several locations. Enjoy!

Park Street Station
Park-Street.jpg

Beacon Hill
BeaconHill.jpg

Public Garden at Charles Street
Public-Garden.jpg

Fenway Park - Left Field Grandstand
Fenway-Park.jpg

Piers Park in Eastie
Piers-Park.jpg

Longfellow Bridge
Longfellow.jpg

BU Bridge
BU-Bridge.jpg

Top of the Hancock
Hancock-Tower.jpg

Above South Bay Highway Interchange
South-Bay.jpg

Closeup
Closeup.jpg

City Hall Plaza and right next to Quincy Market should be interesting if not blocked by the stuff on State Street

Avenue De Millennium

Millennium on the Common

Suffolk University Millennium School

Millennium Hall Plaza

Millennium Office Square

Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Millennium Way

Millennium District (AKA "MiDi")

I would bet there will be a new tower on the Macy's site someday. Maybe Macy will move into the old Filenes building, clearing the way for a new project.

Don't forget over Lafayette. There used to be speculation that it can support two 30-story towers there.

Condo tower power: Lafayette plan rises
By Scott Van Voorhis/ Herald Exclusive
Thursday, July 14, 2005

A pair of roughly 30-story residential towers would soar into the Hub's skyline at the edge of Downtown Crossing under a plan floated by a veteran city developer and Celtics owner, the Herald has learned.

Robert Epstein, head of development firm The Abbey Group and a part owner of the Celtics, is pitching plans for the twin towers as part of his effort to sell a major downtown office complex, documents reviewed by the Herald show.

A firm hired by Epstein is marketing the Lafayette Corporate Center, a six-story, 600,000-plus square-foot office and retail complex filled with State Street workers, to prospective buyers.

But in a bid to spice up interest in the property, Epstein's marketing agents are also touting the potential for a pair of 23-story residential towers over the garage of the downtown office complex. The possibility of adding a seventh story of offices to Lafayette is also held out, which would boost any residential towers into the 30-story range.

The 560,000 square feet of residential space would be enough for several hundred condos or apartments.

``Holy smokes,'' said Robert Cleary, president of the Codman Co., a downtown commercial real estate firm, reacting to what he called the New York scale of the plan. ``I would say that is pretty aggressive.''

The proposal comes as a series of new developments - from the Ritz-Carlton towers and renovated Opera House to the new Park Essex apartment high-rise now under construction - remakes the Lower Washington Street area.

Once the city's red light zone on the edge of Downtown Crossing, the area is fast becoming a hotbed of pricey high-rise developments.

Still, the height is sure to trigger protests, said Thomas Meagher, head of Northeast Apartment Advisors, a development consulting and research firm. Activists in nearby Chinatown have waged a long battle against perceived encroachment by luxury residential towers.

``Height is a big problem in that they are going to have to battle . . . the neighborhood activists,'' Meagher said. ``It is an area that is definitely on the rise (but) it is fair to say it's still a bit hardscrabble.''

The twin tower residential proposal floated by Epstein, the Hub developer and sports owner, comes as city condo prices soar.

I'm wondering who is going to move into all this new office space? Isn't the biggest issue that a lot of places have pretty high vacancies right now? Boston isn't short on office space, it seems to be short on middle-class to upper-mid class housing. Have a ton of super luxury residential and office space already.

Peterborough
http://www.bostontipster.com

Avenue De Millennium

Millennium on the Common

Suffolk University Millennium School

Millennium Hall Plaza

Millennium Office Square

Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Millennium Way

Millennium District (AKA "MiDi")

The millennium is soooo twelve years ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back