Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone who is trying to "save" the current downtown crossing hasn't spent much time there lately. It seems like there are more vacant store fronts than occupied ones and what stores are still open, don't seem to offer much. In my opinion, this area could benefit from some restaurants (with patio or outdoor seating), a few bars and a live music venue or two.

Is that ad board going to be an animated LCD by any chance?

Filenes

Some minor interior work has begun. Also, what looks like a demolition debris disposal chute has been built on the Hawley Street side of the complex.

Looking for a head start: Filene?s project set for launch
By Scott Van Voorhis
Boston Herald Business Reporter

Monday, August 13, 2007

The $650 million redevelopment of Boston?s landmark Filene?s complex is ready to roll.

The Boston Redevelopment Authority is expected to give the project final approval at its board meeting tomorrow.

The 1.2 million-square-foot redevelopment, which will both revamp the 1912 Filene?s building and add a 38-story office and condo tower next door, is the centerpiece of City Hall?s efforts to revive the struggling Downtown Crossing shopping district.

The One Franklin project includes the first major office tower to move forward since the last recession, as well as an upscale hotel, posh condos, and hundreds of thousands of square feet of new and renovated retail space.

Filene?s Basement will get a new home, anchoring a retail complex that will feature an assortment of stores, shops and eateries.

The Basement will reopen first in 2009. The remainder of the project is slated to open in 2011.

?The payoff will be extraordinary with this new building,? said Jessica Shumaker, a spokeswoman for the Boston Redevelopment Authority.

Construction is expected to start in late September. A fence, adorned with a banner touting the project, will go up around the Filene?s block.

Demolition of two newer buildings - tacked onto the Filene?s building in recent decades - will take place over the fall and winter, the BRA?s Shumaker said.

No streets will be closed, despite the construction activity, she added.

Still, city officials are now faced with the challenge of trying to keep Downtown Crossing?s remaining shops and businesses afloat during the construction period.

The temporary loss of Filene?s Basement, Downtown Crossing?s main draw, comes on top of a number of other store vacancies in the area.

The BRA is now working with a marketing firm to come up with ideas to keep the area lively, including concerts and other activities, Shumaker said.

The project?s impending launch is already being hailed as a coup for its lead local developer, veteran Boston tower builder John Hynes.

The redeveloped Filene?s complex, and its new flagship tower, will feature the first big batch of office space in Boston in several years - at a time when demand for corporate suites is soaring.

The start of construction will give the project a key leasing advantage over projects with less firmly established plans. Prospective office tenants generally respond more enthusiastically to projects under construction, as opposed to those that are still just on paper, said David Begelfer, head of the local chapter of the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties.

?Whoever gets in the ground now will be a winner,? Begelfer said.

Its about time! I've known for a while that this would be starting, but there's been so little news on this and other projects in town that its good to finally here some news on something. :D[/list][/code]

Globe had a squib today that the BRA unanimously gave the go-ahead for Filene's.

Ya, i saw that too. Good news. It kinda was implied that it was approved in my head, since they started preparing for construction and blocking off the area before it was announced officially that it was approved. At least now we know we have the BRA's consent for sure

The Globe said:
A landmark's employees mark down the memories

By Donovan Slack, Globe Staff | August 24, 2007

Mayor Thomas M. Menino arrived early and circulated among the crowd. He shook hands and made small talk. With a mantra tinged with sadness, he made a point of talking about his clothes. "My suit? Filene's Basement. My tie? Filene's Basement. My shirt? Filene's Basement."

In the middle of what was once a Boston landmark -- and one of Menino's favorite stores -- the mayor hosted a breakfast yesterday to say goodbye to what for many is hallowed shopping ground, home of the automatic markdown.

It was the last supper -- or breakfast, as it were -- for the 200-odd employees of the original Filene's Basement. The store is scheduled to close within two weeks to make way for a $625 million hotel, condominium, and retail complex.

Silver clothing racks had been bundled in plastic and pushed to the side. A half-dozen tables had taken their place. On each was a white tablecloth with a spray of fresh sunflowers. There were coffee cake, scones, honey-corn muffins, and plenty of tears.

"It's a bittersweet day," Menino told the crowd. "We're going to miss it. Nobody will ever take the place of the Basement."

One by one, employees followed his lead, stepping up to the microphone to share feelings of loss.

"I love all you guys," one said.

"I just want to thank everybody," said another. "I will miss you very much."

Sylvia Amenta, a Filenes Basement employee for more than 60 years, received a standing ovation. She began as a cashier in 1946, worked her way up to manager, and now does shipping and customer service.

"I'm going to miss it," she said, her voice quavering, then trailing off as she broke down in tears.

Many of the employees clutched mementos from happier days, when the store's future had seemed assured. One keepsake, a World War II-era brochure, touted the Basement's "remarkable blend of utility and oddity" and compared the "merchandising Mecca" to a combination of "a county carnival, a church strawberry social, and a giant treasure hunt."

Edward A. Filene founded Filene's Basement in 1908 as a way to sell excess merchandise from his father's department store upstairs. The Basement now operates as a separate company.

"I'm heartbroken," said sportswear associate and 19-year Filene's employee Van Nguyen, who wore a floral-print blouse. "I had left my parents in Vietnam and came here alone in 1975. I stayed here learning English. I'm never going to forget you." Nguyen invited everyone to write in a scrapbook. "I've written my own story in here," she said. "If anyone wants copies or anything, let me know."

Steven Barton, a 20-year employee wearing a lime-green polo shirt and khakis, told the group how he found his soulmate in the Basement. "She was the customer service manager, and I was a loss-prevention investigator," said Barton, who now supervises antishoplifting efforts at the store.

"Sorry," he said, choking up and taking a few deep breaths before continuing. Barton met Mary at the Downtown Crossing store in 1992, and married her in 1994. "It just went on from there," he said.

They now own the European Flower Co. in Weymouth. He continues to work at the Basement.

After the speeches, the employees embraced and took pictures of each other. Some lingered over a black-and-white photo display, showing customers lined up outside the store in the 1930s, '40s and '50s. A newspaper clipping from 1937 advertised "impressive new coats or suits: $7.90."

A representative from the Basement's corporate headquarters weaved through the tables, handing out commemorative magnets. Company officials have said they will reopen a Basement store in the same location in two to three years, but many of the employees gathered yesterday said they didn't plan to return.

At 9:30 a.m., the public address system crackled to life: The store is now open. One by one, the employees left the breakfast. Some, not scheduled to work yesterday, paused to take a pensive look backward as they rode the escalator up out of the Basement.

Donovan Slack can be reached at dslack@globe.com.
Link

I forgot my camera today, but they are beginning to fence off part of Filene's and board up some of the windows.

^^ Was just down there a moment ago (about 1:30p), and saw everything that Statler is mentioning. I can't believe how quickly they started working.

^^I haven't been in for the last two weeks but last time I was inside, about half of the lower level was closed off.

Looks like they have another two weeks in operation:

The store is scheduled to close within two weeks to make way for a $625 million hotel, condominium, and retail complex.

The ads on the back page of Metro and BostonNOW still say "Last weeks" plural.

Sounds like a job for kz! We need him to get in there and get some pictures! :D We should get him like the Batman signal, except it'll say kz, and whenever we flash it from the Hancock Tower, he can get pictures!

I always wonder why the Filene Tower got through the process so fast compared to other projects. This tower was hinted and propose about a little more than year ago. A project being approved in one year is nearly unheard here in Boston. Does anyone know why?

Once the developer agreed to preserve the historic facade, there was absolutely no downside to this project at all.
The city has been chomping at the bit to 'revitalize' DTX for years, they weren't going to stand in the way. The economics were right. And most importantly, there are no residential neighbors to complain about it.

closing date

I was browsing at FB Thursday evening and asked one of the clerks about closing. They said the original target close was August 31, but depending on inventory left, they were probably going to be able to extend to September 5. That's why they are being a bit ambiguous about it.

In any event, there isn't much left unless you like bags of tube socks.

Well

Well, at least we all know where to reach Ron until September 5, then ...

Finally brought my camera in:
Hawley St:
1250666588_3f67a1bfe6_b.jpg

Closer:
1250667586_8d45ad6d6d_b.jpg

Corner of Hawley & Washington:
1250668440_fe59137e49_b.jpg

1250668964_f09c1ff9c1_b.jpg

1249813417_aba2b001b2_b.jpg

1250670636_57a2cc7d72_b.jpg

They must be closing soon. they aready have this sign on the Hawley St entrance:
1250671152_042fbfb74f_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back