Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it looks great, but other than aesthetics, lighting it up has no purpose other than wasting money.

Agreed on all counts. Just wish it was lit up at night on top/had some kind of "crown." At night, it's dark and disappears, just like the Hancock. Boston really lags behind many other cities in terms of lighting up their buildings well at night.

^It's dark and disappears now, but when the units are occupied and lit from within, I think it will look good. The windows do not seem to be as reflective as Hancock Tower (oops, I mean 200 Clarendon) so I think more light will shine through the windows.(?) Plus all those rich people will be up all night, partying in their new digs, so MT will be lit up all night long! :)

(The 37.5 mil penthouse will have Tiki Lights strung all around the 60th floor!)

Yes, it looks great, but other than aesthetics, lighting it up has no purpose other than wasting money.

^In addition, being mostly residential means it doesn't have to stand out as a high-profile office tower would, so less of a need to light it....(don't get me wrong, I love nighttime illumination). I would think most commercial/office focused buildings would have more of a need to emphasize illumination at night.

This is true but only from certain angles, such as Memorial Drive in Cambridge. WTC dominates lower Manhattan from everywhere due to it's overwhelming height. There are numerous angles of downtown Boston where MT is practically a non factor.

Thats where Accordia can take us....if the BRA is smart. The exact analogy I said before will again be applied but taken much further because Accordia would turn Millennium Tower into a damn good supporting cast member, and it would tower over all of downtown from almost all angles.

Yes.

It's almost as if ... that's on purpose.

Agreed on all counts. Just wish it was lit up at night on top/had some kind of "crown." At night, it's dark and disappears, just like the Hancock. Boston really lags behind many other cities in terms of lighting up their buildings well at night.

As long as the crown jewel of Boston is lit no other lighting really matters. Whatever goes up at Winthrop needs to be incredible, FAA max, with a lit crown at night. This is the ONE spot that we must demand something incredible. If we get a dud here every other great piece of the pie we have slowly added over the years gets overshadowed and the game is over. They must demand world class architecture at max height. This is the last spot left. If that happens you can almost close this forum down because its over from that point on. This tower is going to be like bowzer in super mario and once he is defeated the game is over and we won. Everybody could just kick back have some beers and enjoy the masterpiece that we now have and that this city has deserved forever.

It's been a while since I was in Boston-- how's the streetscape looking around this project these days? Anyone have any recent photos from the ground level outside the tower portion?

Thats where Accordia can take us....if the BRA is smart. The exact analogy I said before will again be applied but taken much further because Accordia would turn Millennium Tower into a damn good supporting cast member, and it would tower over all of downtown from almost all angles.

^I know this is off thread, but, Why have you put all your money on Accordia, when HYM hasn't even shown a tower proposal yet? Granted, Accordia's building is the best looking by far...........so far.

Today while at the MFA for "The Idea of North: The Paintings of Lawren Harris, up on the 3rd floor of the Art of the America's Wing, I wondered out onto a glass corridor that connects the Galleries to space reserved for staff

There I found a, small in number of object, exhibition of works by Gaston Lachaise, including the well described "Large Woman Relief" -- a bronze bas relief of his large wife in all of her considerable Rubenesque pulchritude.

Anyway, at the opposite end of the corridor [closest to Huntington Ave] there is an another sculpture of a large woman and most importantly a golden opportunity to photograph nearly all of the Boston "Talls" with a few other Near Field Objects [NFO] which appear to be tall due to proximity

The tightest shot has the following from L to R:
the Pru, "Mrs Pru" (aka R2D2), 200 Clarendon (aka the building with the window washer), [Christian Science Office Bldg. on Huntington], the MT, several [NFO], Bank of Boston, more [NFOs], State Street (One Lincoln), One Financial, Fed

Someone with a good camera should take this picture as the view will change radically when the Four Seasons and the Copley are built

This building is incredible. So much class and fits into the area so appropriately.

Endless amazing photos DZH.

btw, something hit me....

the BEST ANGLE EVAAR for a photo taken of the Boston Skyline is this one....

so good.... i have no idea where this is (someone knows) – but just imagine what this precise angle and location will render in just a few years, after 111 Federal, 1 Dalton, Copley Place, 1 Congress, Harbor Garage (stay hungry Don) and the 4 towers at TD Garden go up!! :) :)

by then, from this vantage point, a case could be made for Boston as having one of the top 5 skylines in the country....

after NYC, Chicago and Miami, who's would be better? Philly? San Francisco? Houston?

Dallas, Seattle, no way.

opinions?

photoshop guys, magnify the downtown a bit? fix MT, add Accordia, Avalon Nashua St, 1 Dalton, Copley Sq.... we need you!! :cool:

post #6405 first photo... the greatest angle evaar, and one of the best skyline photos evaar of Boston. This is the one that convinced me; we may actually have a world class skyline before not too long.

Can't wait till spring!!.........

http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=937&page=321

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back