Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Filene's

I just read about this project going on-hold. This really stinks. First Columbus Center, now this. Please tell me that Russia Wharf remains on schedule.

As to names, I would suggest something of the form "Center Crossing" or for those who don't like the word "center", perhaps just "The Crossing".

Not on subject, per se, but I have to say, during the three or four community meetings I've been to, I've been surprised at how ill-at-ease Mr Hynes has been. He seems uncomfortable and a bit distracted. Not necessarily distaste of the process, but disdain? I don't know if anyone else picked up on it.

If they can't get him to be good PR for the project, they should get a good advance man. Or a skirt.

'The Hub', 'The Hub @ Downtown Crossing', something like that?

/back to making sure friends on the Black Sea don't get identified|uprooted|eliminated

Personally, I'd like to see it called, "Harrod's"

Well it appears that the question of what marketers will brand this project when/if it's ever completed is academic. For now, and, evidently, time indeterminate, I vote for:

How about:

"That Giant Hole in the Ground in the Center of the City"

Too literal?

Is Boston entering a new Dark Age?

Entering? We've been in a Dark Age for the past 60 years. The real question is: When will we get out of it?

I think I see what ablarc is getting at. For the past few years Boston has been fairly successful at filling in some holes in the urban fabric (with bland, mediocre projects, natch) but lately, not only has that stalled (Columbus Center, Hayward Place) but we seem to be going in reverse (Filenes, Gaity, etc).

Scary times.

Last edited:

DTX is Menino's pet project, he will lead us to salvation!

Menino wants assurances from developers
Mayor seeks new rule after financial tie-ups

By Casey Ross, Globe Staff | August 21, 2008

Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino wants to require developers of large projects to obtain financing before they win permission to dig up the city.

His call follows financial problems for two high-profile developments that have already begun construction in Boston: the $650 million redevelopment of the Filene's building in Downtown Crossing and the $800 million Columbus Center complex over the Massachusetts Turnpike.

Menino is having city planners devise a regulation that would delay approvals for developers who cannot show adequate financial backing to proceed with construction. The regulation is an attempt to prevent city streets from being at the mercy of credit markets that can suddenly stall or upend projects.

"We already have two or three holes in our landscape; we don't want any more," said Menino. "We don't want to stifle development, but we don't want developers to take advantage of the city."

The mayor spoke yesterday after the Globe reported that the developers of the 38-story commercial and residential tower on the former Filene's property have been unable to raise financing because credit markets have severely tightened in the wake of the subprime mortgage debacle.

The project is the cornerstone of Menino's effort to remake Downtown Crossing into a destination shopping district in the heart of the city. Almost a year after receiving city permits, the developers have only begun to excavate a portion of the site for its new foundation.

Menino and officials at the Boston Redevelopment Authority said they have been working on the policy for several days and that they were not spurred to action solely by Filene's or any other development. A draft of the regulation indicates that $12 billion in projects are currently under development in the city, and points out that many neighborhoods might have to put up with abandoned or vacant construction sites if tight credit markets continue to delay construction.

An executive with a leading development group said the mayor's regulation is unworkable and would have a chilling effect on future projects.

"It will become a barrier to development. The market just doesn't work that way," said David Begelfer, Massachusetts director of the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties. "To react this way because of the current abnormality in the credit market, I don't think is very prudent."

Other individual developers, including those for the Filene's and Columbus Center projects, declined to comment.

Lenders have been wary of making commercial real estate loans since the subprime mortgage crisis erupted last summer and caused heavy losses at investment banks and other financing firms.

The team trying to build the Columbus Center halted construction on the giant mixed-used complex this year after developers lost some of their private financing as well as some state subsidies.

The draft of Menino's regulation indicates that developers would have to show proof of financing within 18 months of city approval in order to move forward with construction. If they fail to do so, they would have to ask the city for an extension of their permits.

The Filene's project received its city approval in August 2007, while the Columbus Center project was approved in July 2003.

To take effect, the regulation needs the BRA board's approval.

The mayor said the policy would also help the city control the practice of "flipping," in which developers get approval for a project, carry out demolition and other site work, and then sell it for a profit.

"Too many times developers come in, get approvals, sit on it and make all the money off the city," Menino said. "It's an issue we have to get a hold of."

Casey Ross can be reached at cross@globe.com.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2008/08/21/menino_wants_assurances_from_developers/

Didn't know where to put this, because it is applicable to many projects including CC and kensington.

You don't have to get cute or artsy with it. Franklin Center or City Center is already miles above "1 Franklin Street"

I agree with what you say about cutesy-ness, but I hate the trend of tagging a building with a name unrelated to its address (International Place, 1 Financial Center, etc.). 1 Franklin would at least gives people an idea what street they need to go to to find the building (... or hole in the ground). 1 Downtown Crossing would be marginally better, but "City Center" gives no indication at all as to where it is. Is it in the financial district? near South Station? Government Center? Back Bay?

And where the hell is toby?
He usually has the inside scoop on this project. He picked a fine time to go on vacation.

Pages 69 and 70 of this thread all discussed this two months prior to the Boston Globe splashing it on its front page. The next step is for Hynes to ask for tax credits. I'm sure that's going to come soon. Some kind of "unforseen" construction hold-up will be cited, naturally.

For the past few years Boston has been fairly successful at filling in some holes in the urban fabric (with bland, mediocre projects, natch) but lately, not only has that stalled (Columbus Center, Hayward Place) but we seem to be going in reverse (Filenes, Gaity, etc).
And don't forget NorthPoint.

(And how's Harvard's campus coming in Allston?)

(And how's Harvard's campus coming in Allston?)

Is Harvard financing any of that? Why would they? And if so, who the hell wouldn't loan Harvard money? It's a safer bet than US Bonds at this point.

This city is crazy how they do new development project. If you go to New York you wont see a big hole in the middle of the city. And the amount of time it took to get city approvals they could have been built the damn thang and it could have been lighting up our skyline.
I'm moving to New York.

They bought the building in Sept '06 and started construction in July '07. Considering the site it includes two landmark buildings, sits on top of an MTBA station and there was an large, active retail tenant on site (two really, but one was closing anyway) when they bought the site, I'm not sure they could have possible moved any faster on this.
Reading back through the thread the only road blocks were one historical review and the stupid decision to suspend demo work during the holidays (which wasn't mandated by the city, but I'm sure it was their idea). Even removing those two obstacles only would have saved Vornado, at best, a few months and the credit market was much better in May than it is today.
This is just a big 'ol fail for the holy 'invisible hand'.

isn't there still a big hole where the WTC was?
I was going to mention that, but you have to admit, those are somewhat 'unique' circumstances.
That said, this rarely happens in New York, due mostly to their economy, which is different from pretty much any other city in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back