Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Filene's

Great. If they're gonna "force" this one, then it has all the makings of a dissapointing project (less height, cheaper materials, etc.) Too bad as the renderings were pretty nice.

In an article on Russia Wharf, the Boston Business Journal says that:

"In an effort to save $200 million and his struggling
1.2 million-square-foot project at the former Filene?s site in Downtown Crossing, John Hynes is eliminating plans for the top 14 residential floors."

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2008/12/08/daily49.html

So, what are we going to be left with here? looks like a 20 story office building with perhaps a floor or two of junky retail and maybe if we are lucky, a hotel to be named later. what a joke.

I dont understand why there would be an increased demand for office space during an economic recession. Isn't there more likely to be a need for additional housing, because people are being kicked out of their homes?

I would rather live with a hole in the ground for a few years than a severely compromised project...

Ron,
To your credit, you always do seem to have the interests of the underdog at heart. But people who are "getting kicked out of their homes" aren't likely to have a positive impact on the local housing market. By definition, they aren't people who are likely to increase the demand for downtown highrise condominiums.

But they will have a ripple effect through the entire housing market, from bottom to top. Also, sometimes housing units can be re-purposed. For instance, what was planned as condos on West Street is now a Suffolk University dormitory instead.

I don't know very much about the real estate biz, but why aren't more residential towers being built that are targeted to the middle class? Couldn't some of the floors that were designated residential for the Filene tower be switched to affordable? I would think that if decent-sized units downtown were going for 200 or 300 grand, people would be flocking to them. It seems like the market has been saturated with luxury units. I'm going to be looking for something to buy in the next year or two, but would never be able to afford these million-dollar luxury condos that are everywhere you look. It's just not realistic. I'm sure that there are a lot of people just like me, out of college for a few years looking for something to buy. It drives me nuts how impossible it is to live anywhere but in the suburbs or a dilapidated apartment.

I would rather live with a hole in the ground for a few years than a severely compromised project...

I disagreed with this position when I thought they might just cut a few floors off the design but now that they are talking about reducing the size by 1/3 or more, I also rather have a hole in the ground for a few years. Too bad Menino's number priority is to get this building built regardless if it is just another 20 story office building.

I don't know very much about the real estate biz, but why aren't more residential towers being built that are targeted to the middle class? Couldn't some of the floors that were designated residential for the Filene tower be switched to affordable? I would think that if decent-sized units downtown were going for 200 or 300 grand, people would be flocking to them. It seems like the market has been saturated with luxury units. I'm going to be looking for something to buy in the next year or two, but would never be able to afford these million-dollar luxury condos that are everywhere you look. It's just not realistic. I'm sure that there are a lot of people just like me, out of college for a few years looking for something to buy. It drives me nuts how impossible it is to live anywhere but in the suburbs or a dilapidated apartment.

simply put, with land values, construction costs (not to mention permitting cost etc.) there is just no way that the developers can afford to offer these units for $200,000-$300,000. I wish this weren't the case but it is a reality. More realistically, perhaps we can hope for units in the $400,000-$600,000 range but even that is unlikely except for perhaps a small studio facing a brick wall.

I just went outdoors and was counting off the 14 floors on one of the renderings pasted to the building shell. If the height is being reduced by the 14 condominium floors, it brings it to the height of the white "saddle bag", and close to 101 Arch St in height.

But I wasn't clear from the article clip whether the building height is being reduced by the equivalent of the 14 condominium floors, or whether the planned height would be built, but for different purposes.

I understand the land value downtown would be high, but what about all the brown fields around the city? The seaport, northpoint, the East Boston waterfront, etc? Surly the land value there should be low. And I thought pre-fab materials/modules drove construction costs way down. But this is sort of a digression now, so I'll stop.

I agree 100%. This is not a "minor tweaking" of the project. This is turning what was supposed to be one of the most important projects in Boston into another horrid stump. They shouldn't just lop off 14 floors and push this thing out the door. There has to be a better alternative.

I think we're destined to have horrible high-rise architecture in Boston forever. If the NIMBYs don't destroy a project, unfavorable credit markets will.

I just went outdoors and was counting off the 14 floors on one of the renderings pasted to the building shell. If the height is being reduced by the 14 condominium floors, it brings it to the height of the white "saddle bag", and close to 101 Arch St in height.

But I wasn't clear from the article clip whether the building height is being reduced by the equivalent of the 14 condominium floors, or whether the planned height would be built, but for different purposes.

It sounds like it will be reduced, but some of the 14 floors will be kept for "executive offices". So if each executive got their own floor....

What a way to take a bad situation and make it downright deplorable. Menino really is as dumb as he sounds. Keep the hole dammit, NO MORE 300FT STUMPS IN THIS CITY PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd be perfectly happy with a project that was the same height as the preserved walls of the existing buildings. There is no inherent virtue to added height. Just get it built.

I wasn't in love with this design. It was...confused. Looked like a donkey carrying a couple of sacks of coffee beans. Something tall, thin and coherent would have been better.

That being said, Ron's comment reminded me that almost anything would be better than that excrescence that stood at the corner of Washington and "Shoppers Park".

I'd be perfectly happy with a project that was the same height as the preserved walls of the existing buildings. There is no inherent virtue to added height. Just get it built.

my main problem with the amended design is not lack of height but rather just another office building when we were promised one of the premiere multi-use buildings in town with office/residential/hotel/retail. The only thing the developers seem to be promising now is 20 or so floors of office space. At almost any other site, fine but not this one.

But that's not the important thing. The important thing is to restore the streetwall and bring storefront retail activity back onto these blocks. Anything else is gravy, nice to have but not essential.

How about a project that build the first 10 floors now, but is built to support growth? Fill the hole now, add the height later.

Something like the tufts dental school, or this building in Chicago

duskbcbsij2.jpg

bcbsec0.jpg

But that's not the important thing. The important thing is to restore the streetwall and bring storefront retail activity back onto these blocks. Anything else is gravy, nice to have but not essential.

I'm normally with you Ron but I have to greatly disagree with you. This....this is the type of attitude that ends up with Boston getting ugly pieces of stump in the city. This is the type of attitude where we get buildings like those at fan pier. What you are essentially saying is, let's just get this built, who cares about the design or height. It could just be a box building with nothing creative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back