Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Filene's

Filene's Basement is no longer bankrupt, as the Syms company acquired it at auction. They're building a joint store in Norwood. We could use that in downtown Boston ... where Syms used to have a store (now CVS on Summer Street).

ablarc, my understanding is the Supreme Court supported the rights of the state / city to take the land in CT, no? As a result, many states took steps to limit the rights of the states to take any private property. Massachusetts has not passed any laws regarding this.

Another seismic shift: me and Marty Walz on the same side of an issue.

Downtown Crossing's money pit
By Paul McMorrow
March 22, 2010
E-mail this article To: Invalid E-mail address Add a personal message:(80 character limit) Your E-mail: Invalid E-mail address
Sending your articleYour article has been sent. E-mail| Print| Reprints| Yahoo! Buzz| ShareThisText size ? + BOSTON MAYOR Thomas Menino resorted to bluster and pleas to try to restart the stalled $700 million redevelopment of the downtown Filene?s. Neither worked. Eminent domain was the mayor?s trump card. And now Menino has nothing else left to hit the project?s New York developers with.

Discuss
COMMENTS (11)
In City Hall?s view, threatening the Filene?s developers with eminent domain was also an act of vengeance. Not so for Vornado, the Manhattan development giant; an eminent domain seizure could actually turn out to be a welcome way of closing out a disastrous downtown Boston adventure.

There?s a reason it seems like Vornado couldn?t care less about that giant hole festering in the middle of Downtown Crossing. And that reason is, it doesn?t.

The company?s bloated balance sheet feasts on the nation?s biggest office markets, New York and Washington, DC. For Vornado, Boston is a bush league market. Their local development partners sold Vornado?s execs on mammoth profits and the chance to remake a neighborhood. And now they own a hole in the ground in a city that could go a decade between office tower ground-breakings. Vornado has the financial wherewithal to finance the Filene?s project. The company doesn?t believe in the city enough to come out of pocket, though.

People who know Steve Roth, Vornado?s chairman, describe him as shrewd and ruthless. He didn?t come to head a $13 billion development company by being stupid or careless. That was actually the point of his profane, chest-puffing speech at Columbia University, the one that put Roth face to face with eminent domain in the first place.

Menino?s strident letter led with Roth chuckling over all the concessions he was able to extract from blight-phobic New York politicians ? who, he said, were so eager to see him develop the Midtown hole he?d dug at the site of the former Alexander?s department store that they gladly tossed fistfuls of cash at him. Those goodies were the punchline to Roth?s speech. But they weren?t the lesson he was trying to deliver.

During the years when he let the Alexander?s site on Lexington Avenue lie fallow, New York newspapers, Roth complained, believed, ?I couldn?t make a decision; I didn?t know what I wanted to do.?? Roth then cursed and explained, ?I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I wanted the price to go up. A lot. And I was willing to wait.??

The moral: There?s no need to force the issue. If you frustrate somebody enough, they?ll eventually give you what you want. It was true at Alexander?s, and it?s true at the Filene?s site too.

Menino floated the idea of seizing the Filene?s site through eminent domain months ago. He backed off because of concerns over the cost of an eminent domain taking, and then launched his recent public threat because he felt that Roth?s comments showed he and his administration had been lied to. The time between was spent in a series of meetings that looked to be heading toward a breakthrough accord.

Publicly shaming a notoriously volatile mayor is not the most frictionless means of obtaining tax-free financing for one?s stalled development project. So that option?s off the table now. But it likely doesn?t matter to Roth and Vornado. Project or no project, they get paid either way.

Vornado put up $50 million of the construction partnership?s initial $100 million property purchase, and has been bankrolling pre-construction work. It has already written off $37 million of that investment.

As the biggest investor in the stalled $700 million Filene?s project, Vornado has the biggest exposure to the money-sucking Downtown Crossing site. And ironically, it?s Vornado that has the most to gain from an eminent domain taking.

Menino won?t get the blighted hole for free. If City Hall takes the land, it has to pay. It may have to pay a lot ? perhaps $100 million, potentially more, depending on the persuasiveness of Vornado?s attorneys. Whatever the price is, Vornado will get half. It?s likely to be enough to put a serious dent in the company?s losses from the Filene?s project. Instead of waiting around, paying millions in tax bills and site maintenance costs, and waiting for an uncertain market rebound, the company could get paid to take a walk from a city it was never in love with. Not a bad consolation prize at all.

How would Menino be able to buy this sight from the Developer? I would storm city hall if they use taxpayers money to buy this sight.
This is not our problem that the BRA & Menino approved this development without the proper process.

THE DEVELOPER PAID TOO MUCH FOR THE SITE. Not the Taxpayers problem

Rifleman, I'm not sure I'm understanding your point of view. How do you feel about the use of public money on projects like these?

How is not the taxpayers problem that we have a giant gaping hole in the middle of the city?

Granted, we didn't cause the problem, but it is certainly our problem now.

This happens quite frequently in civilizations. Individuals cause problems for society as a whole. It is, in fact, one of the main reasons humans tend to band together to form things like governments.

Rifleman, I'm not sure I'm understanding your point of view. How do you feel about the use of public money on projects like these?

My point is Menino should not use tax money to bailout out these developers. Menino was just saying it's not the cities fault that the developer paid too much for the site quoting the (Aquarim Garage project) Now the city might be considering taking the Filene's site. That is bailing out a developer because they paid too much for the site.

Leave the hole in the middle of the city until the developer goes bankrupt or is forced to sell at a lower price. The BRA should have been prepared for a situation like this. Vornado has almost a billion in cash so they can patch up the site. The problem is the BRA approve them without the proper due dillegence about making sure they would not leave a hole in the city.

How is not the taxpayers problem that we have a giant gaping hole in the middle of the city?

Granted, we didn't cause the problem, but it is certainly our problem now.

This happens quite frequently in civilizations. Individuals cause problems for society as a whole. It is, in fact, one of the main reasons humans tend to band together to form things like governments.

IAM showing old unsle this postings. HE SAY Riffman make good CATALONIAN anArChISt in 1936 und you being the Juan Negrin persons here

Leave the hole in the middle of the city until the developer goes bankrupt or is forced to sell at a lower price.

Do you even read the articles posted here? Vornado is swimming in cash (especially when you consider how bad the commercial real estate market has been the last 24 months). Vornado isn't going bankrupt anytime soon. They won't sell either. They will sit on this site for as long as it takes to lock up 3rd party financing on favorable terms. Best case scenario we see some activity at this site in late 2011 early 2012. over/under on final completion date = March 2016.

Do you even read the articles posted here? Vornado is swimming in cash (especially when you consider how bad the commercial real estate market has been the last 24 months). Vornado isn't going bankrupt anytime soon. They won't sell either. They will sit on this site for as long as it takes to lock up 3rd party financing on favorable terms. Best case scenario we see some activity at this site in late 2011 early 2012. over/under on final completion date = March 2016.

Yes I read the article. My point is the developer can keep the hole in the ground until they either want to sell it, Build it, or file bankruptcy on it. Why should the taxpayers give percs to these developers? 2011 early 2012 your dreaming if you think this market is coming back anytime soon.

Menino has no right to give these developers favorable terms then give other developers unfavorable terms.

The city should had written in a contract that no hole in the city past 3 months should exist on this development after demo process.

What's the sense of having Boston Redevelopment Authority when they can't get anything BUILT

I don't see how using eminent domain in this situation is bailing out Vornado in any way. If anything, it's bailing out the business owners who are going to be struggling even more than they already are if this hole remains in the center of Downtown Crossing for an extended period of time. Vornado will be paid whatever the site is currently worth (presumably what they could currently sell it for). If this happened, they would surely lose millions on the project, since they have already put money into it and the property's value has fallen- or so I would have to assume.

That being said, I feel like eminent domain would end up taking longer than anything to get this hole filled up. Hopefully just the threat of eminent domain will get Vornado moving.

Filene?s developer says he?s sorry

By Casey Ross
Globe Staff / March 24, 2010

The New York real estate developer behind the stalled redevelopment of the Filene?s block in Boston has apologized to Mayor Thomas M. Menino for public comments that suggested he intentionally lets projects languish in order to get public officials to provide financial assistance, a city official said.

Steven Roth, chairman of Vornado Realty Trust, apologized during a meeting with Menino in Boston late last week, said Susan Elsbree, a city spokeswoman. She said Roth expressed a desire to resume construction on the $700 million Filene?s project, but a specific timetable was not agreed on.

During the meeting, Elsbree said, Menino reiterated his threat that the city will consider taking the property by eminent domain or revoking the project?s building permits if Vornado and its Boston partner, Gale International, do not restart construction soon. Work on the Downtown Crossing site has been stalled for nearly two years, leaving a gaping hole in the property.

Menino initially threatened to take control of the property after Roth told an audience of architecture students at Columbia University this month that he allowed redevelopment of the Alexander?s department store in New York to languish because he believed the delays would make public officials more willing to provide funding.

The mayor excoriated Roth in a letter March 8, calling his remarks ?simply outrageous.?? Menino has struggled to get Vornado and Gale to restart work on the Filene?s project, which was supposed to result in construction of a 39-story tower with a hotel, offices, stores, and more than 160 condominiums.

Elsbree said it is unclear whether work will resume soon. Neither Vornado nor Roth returned calls seeking comment.

So basically nothing new. We're sorry, construction still not scheduled to resume, yada yada.

Not directly related to Filene's but pretty darn cool:

Washington Street in 1906
http://www.shorpy.com/node/7920

4a13537a.preview.jpg

View hi-res

^ So ... you can improve something continuously for a hundred years or more and end up with something worse than you started with ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back