Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Filene's

Toby, wouldn't there also be an issue with legislating a punishment for a past offense (i.e., that wasn't punishable at the time)?

But could you let the permits expire, take the project by eminent domain, reissue the permits, and then auction it off at a higher price. I have to believe there's something sketcy abou that, no?

Maybe the best route is the one which hurts the most in the short term - have the city do nothing and wait until the market forces the developer to do something, be it sell or build.

I agree. And with the permits expiring in August, that should help expedite things. The only missing component is that the city will need to state very clearly and authoritatively that there will be absolutely no more additional subsidies for the site. Not now, not in ten years, not in fifty years, inflation be damned. This might even need to be legislated to give it teeth. In that case, if the developers can't actually afford to build under the current scheme and are actually waiting for future handouts to come their way, then you can bet how quickly they'd offload the parcel onto someone who would actually value it as a building site.

I agree. And with the permits expiring in August, that should help expedite things. The only missing component is that the city will need to state very clearly and authoritatively that there will be absolutely no more additional subsidies for the site. Not now, not in ten years, not in fifty years, inflation be damned. This might even need to be legislated to give it teeth. In that case, if the developers can't actually afford to build under the current scheme and are actually waiting for future handouts to come their way, then you can bet how quickly they'd offload the parcel onto someone who would actually value it as a building site.

I agree with you the only thing is the Hole in DTX will be their for a long time. I don't see this market recovering anytime soon.

I still think that the city could do more to bring the gerneral public into this via the local news media. I think it would be very easy to paint the developer as a villian making the city worse so it can take some of our tax money later. You put this on chanel 7 action news and I think it could create a lot of back lash from its faithful followers.

It is apparent that the best solution for the city is to do absolutely nothing for the next 4+ months until the building permits lapse in August. Once the permits expire, the city then has at least SOME (albeit not a lot) of leverage over the developers. Perhaps even the threat of letting the permits lapse will get Vornando's attention to take some action by August even if it means just putting in an underground garage and a two story building that could later be added to by Vornado or another developer.

Toby, wouldn't there also be an issue with legislating a punishment for a past offense (i.e., that wasn't punishable at the time)?

But could you let the permits expire, take the project by eminent domain, reissue the permits, and then auction it off at a higher price. I have to believe there's something sketcy abou that, no?

Ex post facto punishment is tricky, but, generally speaking, possible. As an example, M.G.L. 21 E (the body of hazardous waste laws) manages it when it comes to responsibility for hazardous waste cleanups.

Your second question is very relevant as to how eminent domain might play out. In the market place, as we all know, a property without permits is less marketable, and therefor worth less than one that is permit loaded/shovel ready. At an eminent domain trial, a plaintiff is often able to offer testimony that a property that lacks permits is worth as much as one with permits if that plaintiff can show that it is reasonably probable that such permits could be obtained. Testimony as to that probability usually takes the form of examples of similar properties that have received the relevant permits. Evidence could also take the form of testimony about the ease of obtaining zoning changes or relief.

The trial judge is supposed to act as a gatekeeper, excluding from the jury's hearing testimony that is unduly speculative. As a practical matter, judges, though they have an excellent knowledge of the rules of evidence, have a poor knowledge of appraisal theory or the professional standards (e.g.USPAP) that apply to that art. As a result, judges typically won't exclude truly speculative evidence, and juries, in many cases made up of semi-literates, are left to ponder difficult questions that are beyond their grasp.

With that background, it is now 2012, the permits have lapsed, and let's say the city took the property for $30 million. Now let me put you in the jury box for a moment while I make plaintiff's closing argument.

"Members of the jury. The highest and best use of this site is for a skyscraper. The city gave all the permits that were necessary, so there is no need to speculate. That is proof that the site is permit ready! You have heard from our appraiser, Mr. X that this site with permits is worth $500 million. And Mr.X is one of the city's finest appraisers, as even the city's own experts concede.

"Now the city will tell you that it is worth $30 million because it has no permits. Of course it doesn't! And how convenient! They won't renew the permits, and why? So they can steal this property for pennies on the dollar! What a coincidence, huh? Don't renew the permits, and then take the property! So they can steal it, and flip it to someone else for a higher price, and pocket the difference!

"Folks, we live in the greatest country on earth. And as citizen jurors, you have a duty to keep it the greatest. The power to seize private property, your property, my property, is an awesome power. Second only to power to imprison or execute a man. And the only thing standing between government's abuse of this awesome power is you! That's right. You. The only ones who can stop the Mayor and runaway maddog government from stealing private property.

"Well, as the judge will tell you in her jury instructions, if they are going to take it, they have to pay for it. And now is the time for you to stand up for our way of life, for all of our property rights, and make them pay. On behalf of XXX, I respectfully ask you to return a verdict of $500 million.

"Thank you.

So gentle reader, there you have it. Don't bet against me! I get a contingent fee of 1/3rd.

Thanks Toby for clearly illustrating why all this talk of eminent domain is just a bunch of hot air.

The BRA allowed this mess to occur, and now needs to take real action to clean it up - not just tough talk to appear like they're doing something. As I have said before, the BRA will have to figure out how to play nicely with the current development team.

Why not give a height bonus for a two phase plan that costs the taxpayers nothing? Phase 1 would be the garage / tower foundation and streetwall buildings along Washington and Franklin (with similar height / massing as Filene's). Give them 2 years to build it. Phase 2 (contingent on successful completion of phase 1) would be the tower component, permitted to 50 or 60 stories, which realistically wouldn't be built for 5 or 10 years.

The developers could hold on or flip the permitted tower with parking and foundation in place for a nice profit. The height bonus would offset the phasing costs and carrying costs to wait out the recession before building the tower. The hole in DTX is filled right away, the developers will ultimately make money, and the BRA can save face.

Any reduced Phase 1 that is built MUST allow Filene's Basement to move back in.

Someone on this site suggested this multiphase approach a good while ago. It seemed then, and still does, that is the most realistic approach.

Hi. I've been asked to sign on to a petition to pass a piece of legislation that would protect private landowners from the threat of eminent domain. This is relevant, obviously, in current times, given the situation going on at Filene's.

I'm against eminent domain in any and all circumstances.

Can you think of any reason to not support this?

It's House No. 1778.

AN ACT RELATIVE TO EMINENT DOMAIN TAKINGS.

Whereas, The deferred operation for this act would tend to defeat its purpose, which is forthwith to make , therefore it is hereby declared to be an emergency law, necessary for the immediate preservation of the public convenience.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

SECTION 1. Chapter 79 of the General Laws, as appearing in the 2006 Official Edition, is hereby amended by inserting after section 1 the following new section: Section 1A. The taking of real estate or of any interest therein by right of eminent domain under this chapter or Chapter 80A shall be effected only when necessary for the possession, occupation, and enjoyment of land by the public at large or by public agencies and shall not be effected for the purpose of commercial enterprise, private economic development, or any private use of the property. Property shall not be taken from one owner and transferred to another on the grounds that the public will benefit from a more profitable use. Whenever an attempt is made to take property for a use alleged to be public, the question whether the contemplated use is truly public shall be a judicial question and determined as such without regard to any legislative assertion that the use is public. In the event that property taken pursuant to this chapter or Chapter 80A is not used for the purpose for which it was taken within five (5) years of the taking, the governmental authority that took the property must offer to sell the property to the owner from whom it was acquired, or his or her known or ascertainable heirs or assigns, at the price which was paid for the property or for the fair market value of the property at the time of the sale, whichever is less, and if the offer is not accepted within 180 days from the date it is made, the property may be sold to any other person, but only at public sale after legal notice is given.

^ Hasn't the Supreme Court already spoken on this topic?

I'm against eminent domain takings of occupied private residences, but have no objection to taking of vacant and blighted commercial property such as Filene's.

I might support the petition if the word 'residential' was inserted before 'real estate' and before 'owner'.

Good point about the residential, Ron. Something to consider.

Taking by eminent domain for the purpose of building something else might be warranted, but taking it just because the developer made you mad (Vornado) without any plan for what it might become, is just stupid, in my opinion.

In a perfect world, the developer would be arrested and flogged in a public place.

(Enemy of the people.)

Presumably the city would not take the Filene's property unless it had a good plan to flip it to another developer more willing to build on the site. I could not support legislation that would impede this process.

Today's Herald-

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1239582&format=text

Filene?s jump-start plan
Developer eyes apartments, shops
By Thomas Grillo

Facing a threat of eminent domain, developers of the gutted Filene?s site in Downtown Crossing are hoping a mix of retail and apartments will finally jump-start construction.

The team of Vornado Realty Trust, Gale International and JPMorgan Chase & Co. are in discussions with six lenders for a $100 million project that would include shops on the first two floors of the historic Filene?s building and apartments on the upper levels, according to two sources familiar with the situation.

Under the latest plan that would require city approval, the hole next to the remaining structure would be filled in with an underground garage and the foundation laid for a future office tower on the Washington Street property, one source said. A temporary ?Shopper?s Park? would be built atop the garage.

?We?re not sure if it?s viable yet,? said the source, who is not authorized to speak for the project. ?We think it?s a good idea and we are running it up a few flagpoles. The retail, garage and the apartments would generate revenue to pay a conventional bank loan.?

The biggest stumbling block to construction is cash. In the past, a $100 million commercial office or residential project typically had a loan from one bank. Today, a developer needs $25 million from four banks because lenders are wary about adding commercial real estate projects to their portfolio.

But the source said the developers will not present the idea to the Boston Redevelopment Authority until financing is secured.

In 2007, the BRA approved the original plan for a $700 million mixed-use complex that included a 39-story office tower, hotel, condominiums and retail space, as well as a new home for Filene?s Basement.

But one year later construction was halted after financing evaporated as the credit markets froze. The development team then downsized the project to a 32-story office tower without the condos. Under the new scenarios, the hotel would be replaced with apartments.

Would the garage go where Filene's Basement used to be (and is supposed to return)?

If so, I'd rather see a temporary 2-story Filene's Basement building instead of the temporary park.

^^^I'm imagining that this "scaled down" approach means that the 5 subterranean parking levels and the tower foundations would be built in the hole, as planned, with some kind of temporary structure built on grade for the "Shoppers park". (I wonder if the developers will still be required to build the new T exit at this time or can it wait until the tower gets built as planned?) It also sounds like they want to fit out the Burnham Bldg. with lower floor retail and upper level apartments. This must mean that the developers are shuffling their original plans for the completed complex as floors 4-8 across both Tower and Burnham were programmed as Hotel. As for the Burnham basement, who knows if the now-bankrupt Filenes Basement Co. can support a store in that location now. There were already doubts about FB's viability when they were getting the sweetheart deal to go back in there after the planned Burnham Building stabilization (which was the 1st stage of the original project)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back