Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Filene's

Rifleman, one thing that might help the city on this one, is that if city hall calls up 7 news they could put a very bad spin on this, that would be very bad PR for the developer. B/c I'm sure if this story is made big enough, the developer will come off as evil.

Rifleman, one thing that might help the city on this one, is that if city hall calls up 7 news they could put a very bad spin on this, that would be very bad PR for the developer. B/c I'm sure if this story is made big enough, the developer will come off as evil.

That won't happen because the BRA fast-tracked this project without finding out if HYNES had the proper financing. The BRA needs to take some responsiability here. They can go after the developer and the developer will say to the news that he can't find the financing. Why would Vornado build anything here when they will lose a ton of money on this project?

Because whatever the developer says will be met with well-deserved skepticism.
Would you believe anything Vornado said at this point?

Because whatever the developer says will be met with well-deserved skepticism.
Would you believe anything Vornado said at this point?

Isn't that the reason we have an organization funded by the taxpayers to make sure this stuff doesn't happen called the BRA? What idiot would let anybody demo a building not knowing if their was enough financing to build at least the structure of the building? The Developer paid 100 million for the site for the city. Under court as long as they pay their taxes on the land then I see no reason why the developer has to build anything. BRA and Menino issued them the permits. They are partially at fault.

I would love to see a system where the developer has to prove they have all their financing prior to demo. However, people who know more about this than I has argued repeatedly that developers will flat-out refuse to build in Boston under those conditions. I'm still not 100% sold on that argument, but I don't know enough to refute it either.

I would love to see a system where the developer has to prove they have all their financing prior to demo. However, people who know more about this than I has argued repeatedly that developers will flat-out refuse to build in Boston under those conditions. I'm still not 100% sold on that argument, but I don't know enough to refute it either.

At least they need to show that have the financing to build the FRAME & Structure of the building so the city wouldn't be facing a Giant hole in the city.

The financing vs permitting is a chicken and egg problem. No developer will be able to get a construction loan without permitting in place. That's a standard requirement for construction financing. So if you hold back permitting while you wait for proof of financing, the financing will never come. I supposed you could require a non-binding Letter of Intent from a bank, but that wouldn't have changed the outcome in this situation.

Banker & Tradesman - March 9, 2010
Menino Threatens To Take Filene?s Site By Eminent Domain

By Paul McMorrow

Banker & Tradesman Staff Writer

Today

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino has abruptly put eminent domain at the stalled Filene's redevelopment site back on the table, according to a caustic letter Menino sent to Vornado Realty Trust Chairman Steven Roth yesterday.

Menino's letter cited a rare public lecture that Roth gave at Columbia University last week. The New York Observer reported that Roth told Columbia's architecture and planning students he had deliberately left a Manhattan redevelopment site sit in a state of blight for years. He said he did it to drive up the site's real estate value and extract concessions from nervous government officials.

New York newspapers, Roth complained, said "I couldn't make a decision; I didn't know what I wanted to do. Bullshit. I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I wanted the price to go up. A lot. And I was willing to wait because I had almost no basis in the land."

Mayor Thomas M Menino"The quotes attributed to you on this subject are simply outrageous," Menino wrote, adding that Roth's comments showed "a callous disregard for the well-being of the city and its people."

"The notion that you would purposefully cause this to occur - not due to financing difficulties or other problems beyond your control, but as an intentional cynical ploy to extract concessions from the public sector - is inexcusable," the mayor added.

Menino closed the letter by saying he is weighing eminent domain and considering yanking the project's existing permits, because the Filene's redevelopment "is too important to Downtown Crossing and the entire city of Boston to be used as a bargaining chip to improve your bottom line."

The $700 million Filene's redevelopment is a joint venture between Vornado, Gale International, Mack-Cali Realty and JP Morgan. Vornado owns 50 percent of the project.

The venture paid $100 million in cash for the former department store site in January 2007. Work on the project stalled in late 2008 when project lenders pulled out, and the joint venture was unable to find other lenders willing to finance construction of the planned 39-story tower.

The Filene's redevelopment team has had a rocky relationship with City Hall. Menino has criticized Vornado's cash stockpile and stock price on several occasions.

Banker & Tradesman reported in January that city officials were weighing seizing the Filene's site from Vornado's team if they couldn't demonstrate progress. In response, the development partnership has been considering a phased construction plan that would allow for the construction of an underground parking garage and street-level retail. The project's tower component would wait until credit markets normalize and commercial demand increases.

Annual reports from Vornado and Mack-Cali show in 2008, the Filene's joint venture partners booked a $69.5 million impairment charge on the project. New SEC filings from each company show no such write-down in 2009 - a year in which commercial markets deteriorated significantly. Several industry sources told Banker & Tradesman the decision not to recognize a second impairment may have been made with an eye towards having to defend a high project value before an eminent domain jury.

The former site of Filene's in Boston's Downtown CrossingThe strategy employed by Vornado - insisting on funding the Filene's project with a secured construction loan - stands in sharp contrast to the financing strategy being employed across town, at Russia Wharf. Boston Properties hasn't touched its Russia Wharf construction loan, finding it cheaper to fund the tower's construction off its own balance sheet, thanks to strong investor demand for unsecured corporate bonds.

Both companies are real estate investment trusts. Vornado boasts a bigger market capitalization, although Vornado's cash war chest decreased by $2 billion in the fourth quarter of 2009.

A full eminent domain taking at Filene's could set the city back several hundred million dollars. One solution the city might weigh is the same strategy the state used in constructing North Station - seize the land and low-rise development rights, but not the air rights to build above the taken real estate.

The financing vs permitting is a chicken and egg problem. No developer will be able to get a construction loan without permitting in place. That's a standard requirement for construction financing. So if you hold back permitting while you wait for proof of financing, the financing will never come. I supposed you could require a non-binding Letter of Intent from a bank, but that wouldn't have changed the outcome in this situation.

So it seems like no lender will touch a project unless the developer has permits in hand. Fine. Why can't the city issue a contingent permit? One that says, essentially, "you are permitted to build [x] on site [y] and are also permitted to clear site [y] of all buildings (etc.), however, this permit is contingent upon securing financing by [some future date]..."

This way, the developer can go to his bankers with an actionable permit, but he's not able to open a gaping hole in the city until he's got the financing to better the site.

Boston Globe - March 10, 2010
City looks at taking Filene?s property
BRA chief declares downtown site blighted

By Casey Ross, Globe Staff | March 10, 2010

Boston officials asserted yesterday that the stalled Filene?s redevelopment meets the legal definition of a blighted property, which would allow the city to take control of the Downtown Crossing site and find a new development team that can move the project forward.

The declaration was the latest expression of Mayor Thomas M. Menino?s growing frustration with the Filene?s developers, who halted construction 18 months ago due to a lack of financing, leaving an excavated hole and the remains of skeletal buildings in the heart of Downtown Crossing.

The city?s top planning official, Boston Redevelopment Authority director John Palmieri, said his agency will spend two weeks charting the necessary steps to initiate a property taking. While a final decision has not been made, he said the condition of the Filene?s property easily meets the state?s requirement for such an action.

?It fits the quintessential definition of blighted space,?? Palmieri said. ?Eminent domain is a serious option we must consider at this point.??

Palmieri?s comments came one day after Menino accused Filene?s developers Gale International and Vornado Realty Trust of intentionally stalling the development to try to extract money from the city to help pay for the project. The mayor based his charge on a talk given last week by Vornado chairman Steven Roth, who told students at Columbia University that his firm pursued such a strategy on the redevelopment of another long-idled property, the Alexander?s department store in Manhattan.

Roth was quoted as saying New York-based Vornado stalled that project in the 1990s because ?the more the building was a blight, the more governments would want this to be redeveloped, the more help they would give us when the time came.??

Vornado?s Boston-based partner, John B. Hynes of Gale International, said yesterday that Roth?s comments are being taken out of context. He said the development team is still trying to locate financing in order to resume construction.

?It?s never been a strategy or the objective of the joint venture to create a blighted project in order to extract concessions,?? he said. ?That?s the truth.??

Neither Roth nor Vornado responded to requests for comment yesterday.

The development team had initially planned a $700 million mixed-used complex that included an 39-story tower above a restored Filene?s building. But when the credit crisis struck in 2008, commercial lending ground to a halt, leaving Filene?s and dozens of other major projects across the country without funds to complete construction.

But after reading Roth?s statements in The New York Observer, Menino said the developers can no longer use the economy to hide their real intentions to induce the city to provide public subsidies for the massive project.

The leader of a Downtown Crossing business association said she believes the mayor?s threat to take the Filene?s site by eminent domain amounts to a negotiating strategy, to pressure the developers to resume construction on the site.

?If the city has the ability to bring parties together as quickly as possible, I?m happy to see them do that,?? said Rosemarie Sansone, executive director of the Downtown Crossing Partnership. ?This situation should not continue to linger on.??

Palmieri said yesterday the city and the development team have been talking for months over whether Gale and Vornado should proceed with a smaller version of the project that might have a better chance of getting financed. He left open the possibility that the developers could still rescue the project if they agree to resume building soon.

?If the current development team steps up with a plan to honor their commitment, we?ll entertain that,?? Palmieri said. ?But our clear intention is to find another way to do this with another developer.??

Under an eminent domain taking, the city would have to pay the owners fair market value for the site, based on an appraisal of the property. The city would then solicit bids from other firms to the develop the property.

In addition to pursuing eminent domain, Palmieri said the city could simply allow the project?s permits to expire. Under city regulations, he said, the permits issued for the redevelopment would lapse in August.

Casey Ross can be reached at cross@globe.com.

Well whether it's just a two story w/ the ability to build the rest later, or a the whole enchalada, it seems like something will be getting built here sooner than later, hopefully.

Well whether it's just a two story w/ the ability to build the rest later, or a the whole enchalada, it seems like something will be getting built here sooner than later, hopefully.

Yeah either way it will be with your TAX money.

If the city does take the project whoever they assign, (I'm sure a Menino crony will get all the tax benefits possible) Highly doubt this will happen.

Or Vornado will make a deal with the city and try to get some stimilus money interest free to get this deal done.

Either way the taxpayers will be getting screwed on this project. gotta love these developers who actually don't have to put their own capital to get these projects finished.

I'm not all that familiar with how ED works. Is it possible for the City to take the property at fair market value and 'flip it' at the same price or a small profit?

Yeah either way it will be with your TAX money.

If the city does take the project whoever they assign, (I'm sure a Menino crony will get all the tax benefits possible) Highly doubt this will happen.

Or Vornado will make a deal with the city and try to get some stimilus money interest free to get this deal done.

Either way the taxpayers will be getting screwed on this project. gotta love these developers who actually don't have to put their own capital to get these projects finished.

If a small portion of our tax money can be used to rid the city of this blight, restore DTX as a successful shopping area, create jobs, and improve the economy in that area, then that is money well spent. Otherwise if the developers is trying to use the project to extort money, they should be run out of town with pitchforks and torches.

Im not all familiar either, but i think the city will be able to take it at current market value. (Don't know if that value would include the permits/approvals to build - those expire in august.) Which should be significantly less than when Vornado et al. bought it. They also might be able to make a profit because it will be guaranteed permits etc...

If a small portion of our tax money can be used to rid the city of this blight, restore DTX as a successful shopping area, create jobs, and improve the economy in that area, then that is money well spent. Otherwise if the developers is trying to use the project to extort money, they should be run out of town with pitchforks and torches.

Why should the taxpayers continue to bailout these clowns that paid too much for the site? This what our free markets have come to. Why doesn't Vornado take some of their cash on hand to invest in this project? WHY because they can't make money on this site. Nobody is going to buy condos in the DTX for 500 to 900K. This development was poorly planned and the city should take responsibility. Maybe we should gut the BRA because they are a waste of taxpayers money. That would be a great solution. The mayor should force the developer to cut it's losses and auction off the project to a developer that is willing to invest in BOSTON.

...and we wonder why real estate developers get a bad name.

It's great to talk about running Roth out of town, taking the property, and flipping it for a tidy profit. The problem is that he has the city by the balls, and he knows it. Eminent domain is a messy process, just determining "fair market value" can be litigated for years. Meanwhile, the Filene's building is rotting from the inside out and nothing is happening with one very large hole.

If anything is to happen soon, the BRA will have to play nicely with the current developers. They will need to give an incentive to build a garage and pedestal now (most likely at a loss), and wait to build the tower and realize profit in 5-10 years.

The Liberty Mutual project illustrates how the city will chip in for a project it likes. Roth's little "slip" at Columbia has jump started this conversation, so he can see what the city will do to get his project going again. Essentially he is forcing the city to give him "favored developer" status.

The mayor should force the developer to cut it's losses and auction off the project to a developer that is willing to invest in BOSTON.

How?

Oh, I know. He could threaten to take the property by eminent domain and/or insinuate that the permits won't be renewed in August.

How?

Oh, I know. He could threaten to take the property by eminent domain and/or insinuate that the permits won't be renewed in August.

I think the Mayor is in Big trouble on this project. The city could try to take the project and auction it off to the lowest bidder so the numbers would make sense for the next developer to build. But Vornado, JPM have deeper pockets than the city these days and I could see the lawyers making a bundle on this as it's tied in the courts for 5-10 years.

Even if the city buys the project for a 100 Million then trys to auction it off they will lose millions.
Hynes and Vorando want an Interest Free loan either from the city, state or Federal to get this done. All said and done they might get the free money. It actually makes me sick that we will bailout these scumbags. The city of Boston deserves this as they voted in this moron for another term.

Bottom line: Hynes and investors paid too much for the project. Back when we had bank regulations Vornado would have had to dump 20 or 30% of equity in the project another 180 Million at least to actually get this project built. But now under the new financial system funded by the taxpayer. Free money is floating everywhere so these clowns can't lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back