Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Filene's

Cambridge didn't attract biotechs; Harvard and MIT did. Because most of those biotechs were started by alums.

Building a "fashion mecca" isn't thinking out of the box. And if there's anything this board has come to agree upon, it's that outside the box thinking isn't always the best, especially when you end up with some beautifully extravagant piece of architecture that has no relation to the streets around it. Perhaps hotel, condo, and retail really are what is needed, and the developers weren't flawed in their planning.

Did they (the city and the developer) f*ck up the financing? Yeah. But that's a topic for another day.

Central Sq still has a crack head aspect to it and from what I'm told Magazine St was pretty bad in the early 90's.

Yeah, Central Square can get filled with crazy people shouting at one another, especially at night, but they're harmless.

Kennedy, I think you're spot on. Filene's isn't begging for the perfect "original" idea, it just needs some goddamn financing so that it's not a hole.

Yeah, Central Square can get filled with crazy people shouting at one another, especially at night, but they're harmless.

I'm listening to them right now! I suppose I could shut the windows, but the summer breeze is so pleasant...

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view/20100803mayor_nixed_filenes_alternative/
Mayor nixed Filene?s alternative
By Thomas Grillo and Richard Weir
Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Developers pitched a potentially sensible alternative to get the stalled Filene?s project going again in Downtown Crossing, but the idea went nowhere fast last January because it didn?t pass muster with Boston?s mayor, according to newly released e-mail exchanges.

John Hynes, head of Gale International, floated the possibility of jump-starting the block with a scaled-down, $100 million plan that would bring back retailer Filene?s Basement but hold off on a 34-story residential tower. The original, full-size project?s price tag was $700 million.

?It should be cast as ?Phase 1? and could put us in a position to just keep going and complete the tower,? Hynes wrote in a Jan. 5 e-mail to John Palmieri, director of the Boston Redevelopment Authority, obtained by the Herald through a public records request.

In a quick reply, Palmieri noted the concept ?may make sense.? But just a day later Hynes e-mailed the BRA chief to report he?d already received the summary judgment from the city: ?I heard from (BRA spokeswoman) Susan (Elsbree) that the Mayor did not actually embrace the interim program. Oh well.?

The e-mail exchange came between the 2008 economic meltdown that put a freeze on construction financing, and the 2010 meltdown of relations between the developers and Mayor Thomas M. Menino.

In March, Menino threated to seize the site through eminent domain, accusing Hynes? partner, New York-based Vornado Realty Trust, of deliberately stalling the project in attempt to secure city funding.

Yesterday, Menino defended his decision to nip in the bud Hynes? alternative proposal of a two-story retail structure above Filene?s Basement and three levels of underground parking.

?A garage is a money maker for the developer, not a money maker for the community,? he told the Herald at an event in Brighton. ?A garage is not good for Downtown Crossing.?

The trial balloon floated by Hynes included a request for $25 million in bond funds from the city and mentions the possibility of another $25 million from the state.

?I can get my guys to invest the $25 (million),? Hynes wrote, referring to Vornado. ?The Governor will get on board too for 1/2 of it I?m sure (he could use some good PR too and this would do it).?

Providing a window into the power Menino wields when it comes to city developments, Palmieri asks whether Hynes has the support of the Patrick administration. In response, Hynes writes, ?I believe the state will do it . . . if Mayor wants it.?

Palmieri said yesterday that while there may be some city money available, Hynes must first line up investor cash and state funds.

?I?ve told John that he needs to tell us he has firm financial support from Vornado and other public entities and that he?d like the city to fill the gap,? Palmieri said.

In a recent development on Filene?s, the Argenta Group, a Texas-based private equity firm, met with Hynes and the BRA last month about the possibly of investing in the project.

?If Argenta can demonstrate they have the cash and we can come up with a loan transaction that works, there?s a possibility of making something happen,? Hynes said yesterday.

I don't understand the purpose of publishing so many direct quote emails without actually providing the emails themselves. Either write an actual article or give us the docs so we can draw our own conclusions.

But then again, that wouldn't allow the "newsgatherers" to sensationalize things.

Wow.....Hynes suggested teh idea to build a part of the project so that it could bring back Filene's basement and the mayor rejected it? Are you F*CKING kidding me? Mayor, please LEAVE OFFICE. Do you not see the hole in the ground, how downtown is decaying? Building a two story structure that will allow any future additions to it, would solve our current problem and leave the building with many possibilities. Ugh, how clueless can you be?!

Is there a system in place to impeach the Mayor?

Unless I am misreading something, he is asking for $50,000,000 to essentially build a garage. Is Menino really that far off base in declining? It's not like he said "We'll build this in the interim until we can fund the tower." He said, "We'll build this in the interim and we'll pay half of it."

Underground garage, two stories of retail with the intention to build a tower when more financing is available.

I rather have a nice looking hole than a garage in DTX

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done. I'm saying the developer should pay more than half the cost of the garage + 2 storeys. I'd prefer the building be surrendered to a builder who isn't intentionally hurting the city in order to force government assistance (or even taken and developed by the city itself).

I'm not a fan of Menino, but people are so quick to jump on everything he does that there isn't a moment for analysis. Again, this was not just Hynes asking for approval to build. It was a matter of approval plus a handout (which would be significantly more palatable if it was something in the range of 10%, but half?).

Do you really think this will get built and then Hynes will go ahead and raise capital for the remainder? Of course not. He'll sit on the garage and ask for more money from the people of Boston in order to finish the project.

By all means, let's reward the guy who tore a hole in the city.

I rather have a nice looking hole than a garage in DTX

I hope this is what Menino was thinking and not just engaging in childish spite against the developers at the city's expense. The developers are such greedy assholes that it's hard to tell, sometimes.

I agree we shouldn't necessarily pick on Menino. He doesn't necessarily make the worst decisions for the city. But the fact that he has so much power to do so is a serious problem.

Menino was right to reject this alternative. If they build a garage and lowrise, nothing else will be built here for decades.

Menino was right to reject this alternative. If they build a garage and lowrise, nothing else will be built here for decades.

Hayward Place and the former site of the Gaiety Theater don't inspire confidence in this situation changing any time soon.

Hayward Place and the former site of the Gaiety Theater don't inspire confidence in this situation changing any time soon.

+1. Like I said, I rather have something for decades than a hole for decades.

It sounds like Hynes wanted to phase the original project. Build the 5 subterranean parking levels and the tower foundations (which means you wouldn't actually SEE the parking), and 2 stories of the tower (the retail floors below the hotel floors), then cap it off to build the rest later. Returning FB to it's old spot would require all the Core & Shell work to be done on the Burnham bldg. (required by code) as well as the temp wall to it's rear (designed to last several years during tower construction) Yeah, $100m would probably do all that at todays costs. The original project was priced when steel was astronomical and labor was high, both not the case now. Too bad this proposal went up in flames too. It was probably the last way to save the original project.

+1. Like I said, I rather have something for decades than a hole for decades.

My point is if HYNES can generate private money for this situation I am fine with it. But why does the city and state have to pay 50 Million of Taxpayers dollars so they can reap the rewards off the garage?

Seaport will be a disaster also. IMHO Hynes is very poor planner. I also think he got very lucky with Lincoln since State Street was pretty much lined up for that spot.

My point is if HYNES can generate private money for this situation I am fine with it. But why does the city and state have to pay 50 Million of Taxpayers dollars so they can reap the rewards off the garage?

Seaport will be a disaster also. IMHO Hynes is very poor planner. I also think he got very lucky with Lincoln since State Street was pretty much lined up for that spot.

To the first point, because he's in the business of generating profit. If the city will fork up XXX to see something built, why not take it? That's why the e-mails seem to be misleading to people who don't understand the context. Most people don't understand it's like a damn bazaar market in Boston. It's how things get built in this city----a dance back and forth between the developer and BRA (Mayor) until there's a tentative agreement that's ready for a press release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back