Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Millennium Tower - Filene's

Roche Bros. is in lease negotiations to open its first Boston grocery store in Downtown Crossing,

this is an odd sentence to me. Are they planning multiple downtown crossing locations?

There is already a Boston location in West Roxbury.

The family that owns it has been great to the community.

Everyone knows that West Roxbury isn't really Boston.

This is great news. And a no-brainer. The Whole Foods in Beacon Hill/West End appears to print money based off their sales to MGH day staff alone, nevermind the neighborhood shoppers. I could see this shaping up the same way, with huge growth potential for after work and weekend customers as more residents move in.

Still would like to see some more condo/apartment building announcements in DTX. Hopefully news like this convinces some of the developers on the fence (like the group that bought the building(s) across from H&M on Washington Street) to move forward.

Roche Bros. has a store in my hometown of Bridgewater! Large, clean, well stocked with everything all other supermarket's carry along with a huge produce, bakery, deli, and prepared food areas! It is more expensive in many items (but they have great sales) than the other supermarkets in the area (Market Basket, Trucchi's, Shaws, Stop n Shop, Walmart) but, still, it's got a great business and it's Customer Service is tops! IMHO, if you put Roche Bros. head to head with Whole Foods, Roche Bros. would win hands down!

That's the one I went to.... never again.
Personal opinion yes, but awful store.

That's the one I went to.... never again.
Personal opinion yes, but awful store.

My personal experiences have been quite good recently, but that's not the whole point here. Roche Bros. is a local company which puts a quality product and shopping experience up against Wegmans and Whole Foods. That's a good enough reason to support them in my eyes. Why should we hope for a national chain when our own Boston version does the same thing just as well?

IAM thinksin 7/leven SeRVICe sehr gut! wanTsing roaches needs 1) ALLOGOTor clip so NEdsing Hom DePOT 2) could BuY POTT at 7/11 at TRannyspo bUilDing . Butt. NoT so MUch now. BIG hole no FOOD
BUT. MUNchy pRobslem. NOOO traitor JOE. went to CArre-4 aafew tIMEs. BUT serviCio nadA BIEN. beside not Travailing nOw
alDI SEHR GUT. WHTTSA MATTER Wit REWE?
BUT. YOU being BONE heaDS wit DrUgsling talk. NO BRAINER of NO boNEr
so NO PROCRASTIBATIN!!!!

Last edited:

What exactly is the code bostonbred uses? I feel so left out haha

What exactly is the code bostonbred uses? I feel so left out haha

His German is usually fluent and grammatically correct. English is a general, but amusing mess. Every so often he'll throw in some Spanish or French to spice it up.

I admit that I was irked by BostonBred in the past, but I am a true converted BostonBred appreciator!

His German is usually fluent and grammatically correct. English is a general, but amusing mess. Every so often he'll throw in some Spanish or French to spice it up.

ah ok, I saw the German, but thought the switching between capital letters was part of some snazzy code I was unaware of.

Is anybody else old enough to remember Sniglets? This would be in the Sniglet hall of fame.

I had a "Bazookacidal Tendencies" Sniglet hanging up for years....
His is right up there.

Roche Bros. upscale? It's pretty middle of the road I think. They have a more upmarket brand called Sudbury Farms, which might be a better fit for the location for the name alone (can't believe "Roach Bros." ever made it as a business.)

That retail website (with the bizarre, confusing site address...) is pretty cool: I had not previously seen a site that "moves" left and right as you scroll down.

Anyway, it also contains a gem or two of somewhat-prevaricating adman speak:

"Daniel H. Burnham (1846–1912) is considered one of America's most important architects. ... Today, Burnham is best remembered for his iconic Flatiron Building, New York (1901); Union Station, Washington, D.C. (1909); and Filene's Department Store, Boston (1912)."

Right. Filene's is a fine building and iconic for people in Massachusetts, but I think that Burnham is remembered slightly more for, um, building Chicago than for Filene's.

"With the addition of the new $630 million Millennium Tower Boston, the City of Boston will witness the transformation and reawakening of the once-legendary Downtown Crossing neighborhood."

Did it stop being "legendary"? And if you're trying to lure retailers to your building, why tell them that it's located in, effectively, a faded, dumpy area that *used to be* "legendary"?

Roche Bros. upscale? It's pretty middle of the road I think. They have a more upmarket brand called Sudbury Farms, which might be a better fit for the location for the name alone (can't believe "Roach Bros." ever made it as a business.)

In my experience (working in the beverage industry), Roche Bros is, relatively speaking, upscale. Sudbury Farms might be more so, but I'd put Roche a step above Shaws and Hannafords.

My personal experiences have been quite good recently, but that's not the whole point here. Roche Bros. is a local company which puts a quality product and shopping experience up against Wegmans and Whole Foods. That's a good enough reason to support them in my eyes. Why should we hope for a national chain when our own Boston version does the same thing just as well?

I can't think of one thing that Roche does better than Wegman's.

XNC3Mau.jpg

I'm glad that head house is getting redone. I don't mind stealing good ideas from other cities but that may be a bit too 'on the nose'.

Also, it's not the best angle but I can already tell I'm really going to miss the 1905 facade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back