Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I've been lurking for a while but finally decided to post. Nothing monumental to say really, but I just wanted to express my excitement for this building. Great pics above BTW, but I highly suggest heading over to the site if possible to look at the renderings in person to check out all the juicy details. Great stuff. The proposed height puts it in the same neighborhood as buildings like 60 State, One Beacon and 1 Lincoln. I'm sure you've all seen the "skyscraper diagram"...

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?c145

...it's great to see where this building fits in the mix. Should be a nice addition!

If "South Bay Development" is on there, the Transnational and South Station towers should be too, not to mention the Clarendon.

I agree completely. I figure no body's created drawings to represent those buildings yet. There are a few buildings on this forum that I'd love to see in the diagram to get a real sense of their size and scale. Trans National and SST like you mentioned, but also Nashua Street Res (and any proposed N-Station towers), Filenes Tower, 45 Province. Clarendon is on there, though I'm not sure its accurately depicted.

Ya, they definitely (or defiantly lol) need to add models of all those buildings. I don't think the site has really been updated for a while (well at least for the Boston page) because it doesn't have a lot of the proposed projects and such. Also, I find it odd that they have a model and list South Bay Development on there, even though you don't really hear as much about that as you do about some of these other projects and proposals like Filene's.
ngb_anim8 great to have you here man! Nice to have someone else from around where I live on the forum (I live in Bedford and go to West in Manchester) Question though, why do you live all the way up here and work in Boston? You should move to Boston man!

Question though, why do you live all the way up here and work in Boston? You should move to Boston man!
Haha... good question. I love being in Boston for work. But most of my family and friends that I hang with on a regular basis live in the Manchvegas area. Plus, I love how I can sort of reap the benefits of two completely opposite environments. I get the hustle and bustle and all the activities of Boston like sporting events, concerts and restaurants. But then I get to go home where at night I don't have to hear cars, trains, honking horns and such. The commute sucks, but I end up with the best of both worlds. Besides...I take the train from woburn. No way I'm driving all the way in every day. Thanks for the welcome.

Haha ya I understand what you mean! And Manchvegas is growing a bit, I wish they would build a few more high rises here though, I am sick of looking at the same two tall buildings every day lol But living here is good like you said, you get the benefits of living in a peaceful area while also being able to commute to Boston which is only an hour away.

I'll bet the 495' does not include the mechanical top. 8)

ngb_anim8 said:
I agree completely. I figure no body's created drawings to represent those buildings yet. There are a few buildings on this forum that I'd love to see in the diagram to get a real sense of their size and scale. Trans National and SST like you mentioned, but also Nashua Street Res (and any proposed N-Station towers), Filenes Tower, 45 Province. Clarendon is on there, though I'm not sure its accurately depicted.
This is the diagram I made and posted on the Trans-National thread. I cannot submit this drawing however due to the fact I used photoshop to resize a real image. The rendering is somewhat inaccurate due to the fact there isn't a official height.

Diagram.png

All I can ever think when I see this tower is Prudential 2.0. Not that that is a bad thing though.

I love how the Fed Reserve is looking away in the diagram, as if to say, " I'm not here voluntarily --I'm so beyond this pissing contest bullshit."

Pissing contests aren't the Fed's style...it prefers to flaunt its massive bootay.

Diagram.png
[/quote]

This diagram shows that TNP is not so out of scale with what is already downtown as has been shown in most of the renderings in the papers.

Nice job with the diagram. Who knows, maybe this will inspire them to add a few buildings.

Looks like they are moving quickly on this:

760290663_5f8e60b294_b.jpg

Hawley St. last Friday

Hey, anyone know what's going to happen to Chacarero? It's the little hole-in-the-wall eatery right next door. I love that place. I think they opened another one on Province St, but anyone know if this one will survive? It's always packed at lunch time.

ngb_anim8 said:
Hey, anyone know what's going to happen to Chacarero? It's the little hole-in-the-wall eatery right next door. I love that place. I think they opened another one on Province St, but anyone know if this one will survive? It's always packed at lunch time.

They have another store on Province St., across from the 45 Province St. development.

NIMBOB said:
ngb_anim8 said:

They have another store on Province St., across from the 45 Province St. development.
Yeah but both are open now and the Franklin St one is as busy as ever. I think the are still going to lose a big chunk of business once they are evicted. Maybe they can convince Macy's to give up some space.

Filene?s tower may land luxury Marriott
By Scott Van Voorhis
Boston Herald Business Reporter
Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - Updated: 09:00 AM EST

Beleaguered Downtown Crossing is poised to land one of the nation?s upscale hotel chains - JW Marriott - as part of the $600 million-plus redevelopment of the landmark Filene?s complex.

Project developers are in exclusive talks with the high-end hotelier, which would run a 250-room, $150 million hotel in part of a tower proposed for the current Filene?s site, said John Hynes, president of Gale International and one of the project?s developers.

JW Marriott touts ?luxury touches,? including custom bedding and rich linens, marble bathrooms, high-speed Internet access and executive business centers.

The Filene?s development team recently selected JW Marriott from a field of contenders, which at one point also included the exclusive Meridien chain, Hynes said.

The ability to attract a top hotel chain would be a coup for the project and for the development team, a partnership between Hynes? Gale International and New York development giant Vornado Realty Trust, said Thomas Engel, a Boston-based hotel industry consultant.

The 1.2 million-square-foot Filene?s redevelopment is seen as key to City Hall?s efforts to overhaul Downtown Crossing, with the shopping district struggling to fill vacant storefronts.

?I?d have to say that a JW Marriott is a positive reflection on the overall positioning of that redevelopment,? said Engel, president of the T.R. Engel Group.

Hynes said he plans to break ground on the Filene?s redevelopment shortly after Labor Day. He is focusing now on lining up the final regulatory permits needed before work can begin.

Project executives are also busy courting retailers for the project, which will feature both a renovated Filene?s building and a new skyrise next to it.

The 38-story tower would feature multimillion-dollar condos on its top floors and hotel rooms farther down. Also in the works are 500,000 square feet of office space and several floors of retail in the old Filene?s building, including a revamped underground Filene?s Basement store.

The Filene?s development team recently selected JW Marriott from a field of contenders, which at one point also included the exclusive Meridien chain, Hynes said.
I think I'd rather see Meridien come back to the city than another Marriott, just for diversity.

Also I wonder what the saturation point is for the number of luxury hotels in Boston?
You would think there would be a good market for mid-price hotels here. There seems to be a scarcity of them.

Forget about number of hotels; I'm wondering what the saturation point is for Marriotts! Between the Long Wharf, Back Bay, et al., they have quite a presence. But, for a spot this size, I guess that the question becomes how many other hoteliers are there that are large enough take it on?

I'd vote for a return of Le Meridan too; it's where I had my senior prom!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back