Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Filene's

The Ritz-Carlton is well establish brand and known quality. It is more descriptive than emotive.

If you named that development "Gilintzer" or "The AVRY" would it have sold anymore than anymore than "One & Two Avery Place"?

It all depends on execution... a name, a logo, an ad... none of them move real estate. An integrated campaign, that includes the architecture - that's the home run.

The Ritz and Trump brands are the extremes, but sometimes highlighting the extremes showcase how something works. Imagine if this property was named "The Trump Center" tomorrow with a fancy press conference, the gigantic piece-of-crap d-bag Donald himself, and a fancy gold logo. Would the perceptions of this project change in Boston? Would the value of this property increase? I bet it would.

The teacher's union/penion fund that renamed its real estate investment arm "Archstone" could attest to this. Admittedly, I was holding out for the "Liberty Book Store Tower" but the "Archstone" name equals real estate value.

I agree with Pelham, alot has to do with perception.

HOTEL: The hotel operator that was "rumored" has not signed, a year later? No hotel operator in place. From what I have heard, luxury hoteliers come to visit the area and are not impressed, at all, with the area. I would expect more like a Marriott than a St. Regis.

I wonder if the folks at Loews Hotels would have any interest in this project. It is certainly no St Regis but the ones I have stayed in (Orlando, New Orleans and San Diego) have been superior to your average Marriott. I know they were supposed to be where the W Hotel is now going but perhaps they would consider this up and coming location.

I Argee the Loews Hotel would be good for this site. I think we already have too many Marriotts Hotels in the City.

^There is no Loews Hotel in the city, but the ones I've stayed in were very nice (Portifino Bay and Royal Pacific- Orlando, Quebec City, Miami Beach).

My only worry would be what will Loews' "gimmick" be? Any of the Loews I've stayed in have something unusual or unique about them; In Orlando, they're part of the amusement park complex and have themes like "Bali" (Royal Pacific), or Coastal Italy (Portifino). Even Quebec City's had a revolving restaurant on top (that IMHO spun too fast for dining purposes... I got a little woozy). Miami had the nice staircase running through the fountains down to the beach side pool. What would they do for DTX?

The same "Boston theme" everyone else does. Colonial America.

**Yawn**

You are right. Doormen in tricorn hats. Reception in powdered wigs. "Boston baked beans, clam chowda and scrod." Barf.

^There is no Loews Hotel in the city, but the ones I've stayed in were very nice (Portifino Bay and Royal Pacific- Orlando, Quebec City, Miami Beach).

My only worry would be what will Loews' "gimmick" be? Any of the Loews I've stayed in have something unusual or unique about them; In Orlando, they're part of the amusement park complex and have themes like "Bali" (Royal Pacific), or Coastal Italy (Portifino). Even Quebec City's had a revolving restaurant on top (that IMHO spun too fast for dining purposes... I got a little woozy). Miami had the nice staircase running through the fountains down to the beach side pool. What would they do for DTX?

You seem to have purposefully left out the New Orleans Loews from my quote. I stayed in that hotel a year ago and was not aware of any theme whatsoever with that hotel. But you are indeed correct about the Portofino Bay Loews in Orlando. But Orlando is the theme capital of the world so I am not too worried about Loews coming to Boston with a terrible colonial theme or other theme. I don't believe they had a theme in mind when they designed the hotel that will now be the W Boston. There is a condo component here (and at the W) and no one is paying millions for a condo with a terrible New England theme.

There is a Loews Hotel in New York. It is named The Regecy . Located on Park Ave. very high end and classy

How about a gimmick that fits downtown crossing? Instead of a bed you have a box, instead of a snack bar in your room you can buy herion, you pay the guy at the front desk by putting money into his coffee cup, etc etc...

Boston Business Journal said:
The redevelopment of the former Filene?s Basement site is among the projects already under way. Led by Gale International, this project at One Franklin Street will bring a 39-story tower to Downtown Crossing. It will have 300,000 square feet of retail space, including a reopened Filene?s Basement and nearly 300 hotel rooms. It also will have nearly 500,000 square feet of office space ? Class A, of course ? housed on floors nine through 25, with 250,000 square feet of condominium space on floors 26 through 39.

Despite the economy and the staggering financial markets, Gale International CEO John B. Hynes III said the project is on track for a spring 2011 completion.

?The credit crunch is affecting many developments worldwide, but location, the way financing is structured, and the track record of the developer are factors that trump the current downturn,? he said in a statement. ?We see no issues in moving ahead.

Full article here

Divot, for a first post to this board, that seriously lacked class.

Divot, for a first post to this board, that seriously lacked class.

I was actually going to post something similar, and thought better of it. Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, Dick Gregory and George Carlin were all "lacking in class," but in general, they were on point.

Divot -- We've had heated discussions on this thread about the character and composition of retail in DTX, as well as the pervasively grimy, down-market vibe. I think it's an unmitigated outrage that this is the central shopping district in Boston. Others aren't particularly concerned.

I'm guessing that this recent story and the ensuing discussion may have triggered your sentiments. I'm sure you're bright enough to tell us what you think without the shtick.

Welcome.

Sorry, I havn't been paying any attention to this. Then i learned it was a 40 story glass tower, and i realized how much of an impact this will have. So just curious, whats the status? from what i've read, they are using the design on pg 3? construction is going smoothly? No SST/Columbus Center stunts being pulled?

I must admit that when reading Divot's post, I pictured complimentary copies of "Spare Change Newspaper" outside of every hotel room.

I actually live in the area and think that the recent/upcoming developments are going to help a lot. I'm acutally considering both of the new condo developments (although not all that seriouslly at this point).

Last edited:

Apart from the over priced package store (Wine Cellar) that closes at 8 p.m., it has alot to commend it. You get to know many of the street people. They are one's next door neighbors!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back