Saturday 14

IMG_3884.jpg

IMG_3885.jpg

Bonus!

Bustitution
IMG_3886.jpg

Re: Filene's

Looks like the view from the DSW. Nice!

The busstitution was terrible. The T employees were saying it was alternatively a fire and track work. Not fun.

I cannot wait for this to rise! Since this is in the neighborhood of 45 Province, a lot of the pics from that will eventually have this in it as well.

So, in the first picture there were luminescent discs, in one of the others a mysterious rainbow, and finally neon green little men! The new Filene's is going to be a secret alien base!

I bet once this thing goes you willl see a lot of revitalization in the area.

Same like the road I live on. Route 138 in Raynham.
A lot of the businesses are banking on a walmart going in.
then they are gonna tear a lot of old parcels down and sell them to "pad sites" box stores.

There is an abandoned car wash my neighbor said hes friendly with the owner and he said as soon as wal mart goes up so will his business go up for sale.

^They're planning another one in Raynham besides the giant one on 44? It sure would be nice to see some redevelopment along that stretch of 138 in Taunton and Raynham. I frequent Bella Roma when I can (the steaks are a good value) and miss Henry's. The owners of Henry's (the Palmers) were neighbors of mine growing up.

Anyways, I do think Filene's, once completed, will be terrific for the area. DTX will come back to life, it's too great of a spot not to.

Are B&T and their sources suggesting that the demolition will occur with no building to follow due to lack of funding so there will be a big hole in DTX for years? That seems far-fetched, but I guess anything is possible these days.

Are B&T and their sources suggesting that the demolition will occur with no building to follow due to lack of funding so there will be a big hole in DTX for years? That seems far-fetched, but I guess anything is possible these days.

That's what I was wondering. It is one thing to dig up a street or two and some utility wires and then put a project on indefinite hold (Columbus Circle) but to tear down nearly all of a destination building and leave a sizable hole in the middle of the city's downtown shopping district is entirely unacceptable no matter what the economic climate.

This is where the developer comes to the city and says "Aw shucks, well, you see, the financial markets are in turmoil, and this project is going to create a lot of jobs and all, and I'd hate to leave a hole in Downtown Crossing for years... you should probably cut me tax breaks and tax incentives."

The only thing that might preclude this scenario is that John Hynes is working on Seaport Square and would surely put that project in jeopardy by monkeying around with this one.

Hey, if I saw what the city did for JP Morgan, you can bet I'd be next in line with my hand out ...

^They're planning another one in Raynham besides the giant one on 44? It sure would be nice to see some redevelopment along that stretch of 138 in Taunton and Raynham. I frequent Bella Roma when I can (the steaks are a good value) and miss Henry's. The owners of Henry's (the Palmers) were neighbors of mine growing up.

Anyways, I do think Filene's, once completed, will be terrific for the area. DTX will come back to life, it's too great of a spot not to.

So Bella Roma is good. ?
I have lived here since 03 and haven't gone in there.

So I should check it out huh ?

Shoot me a PM let me know a little bit about it.
Thanks. also are you from the Raynham / Taunton Area as well.
And to answer your question yes they plan on building a wal mart on route 138 at the former Par 3 golf course.

Word still awaited on 2nd Wal-Mart
By Susan Parkou Weinstein
Mon Jun 09, 2008, 02:07 PM EDT

http://www.wickedlocal.com/raynham/homepage/x710598301/Word-still-awaited-on-2nd-Wal-Mart

Since Filene's was an operational store the last time I saw it, and considering I used to be taken here by my grandmother to view the Christmas village display, to see this for the first time was absolutely shocking. I felt as if somehow the Orange line exit must have opened onto the set of some kind of bizarre post apocalyptic movie:

Filenes-4980.jpg

Filenes-4984.jpg

Filenes-4988.jpg

Filenes-4989.jpg

Walls standing eerily on their own:

Filenes-4994.jpg

Filenes-4998.jpg

Filenes-5002.jpg

I am willing to bet that this project will change the city like no other. Given it's location (basically at the center of the hub), quality of design, and mixed use, this will open people's eyes to what a city can be, for both better and worse (worse being the total gentrification of DTX and probably Chinatown).

I hope this project changes the city like no other.... but I fear a Lafayette Mall scenario. There are a few things wrong with this project, storm clouds on the horizon if you will...

1) Gale ripped up DTX and there is no promise at all of financing or tenants at this point. Potentially, we'll have a hole in the heart of an important part of the city, and a developer with his hand out asking for tax credits. The PR team could come up with something like this: "Oh, we didn't know that the T lines would be such a problem, we just need money to mitigate the construction there - it's actually the MBTA's fault for building the tunnels poorly... " - any number of such stories could be concocted. Financing is not available for these projects.

The four major uses of the property:

2) HOTEL: The hotel operator that was "rumored" has not signed, a year later? No hotel operator in place. From what I have heard, luxury hoteliers come to visit the area and are not impressed, at all, with the area. I would expect more like a Marriott than a St. Regis.

3) RETAIL: Big names, big retail tenants have been "rumored" (wonder who's doing his PR?) and yet the only real, tangible announcement is that there will be a Zara (a Spanish Gap). Target, Best Buy, Whole Foods, other big anchors were strongly, strongly pursued - all said "no thanks" - at least for now. The presence at the ICSC was very, very poor for a project of this magnitude.

4) OFFICE: Look at the leasing history at 33 Arch and 101 Arch - this is not the Financial District. Office users view DTX as a pioneering location, and not up to Financial District rents.

5) RESIDENTIAL: Admittedly, I don't know much about this aspect of things, but I did see the BBJ had written an article about sales at 45 Province not doing well. This is not a residential area... yet.

6) This is the kind of development unlike anything Boston has seen before, and yet the developer is marketing it in "black/navy blue corporate real estate" and has named this supposed exciting project "One Franklin Street" - there is no brand or sense of destination - just another building. To some extent this is the same problem 45 Province Street is having - the developers have not created a destination brand, just another building.

So, let's keep our fingers crossed, but I for one and personally very nervous about this project... all it will take is one domino to fall and the whole thing will come together nicely, but each of the uses seems to be waiting for the others to make a move.

Hotel - I thought a J.W. Marriott was confirmed, and not a rumor.

Retail - I thought Fresh Market has signed a LOI as the grocery anchor. Renderings show them, and they have said they are looking to enter the Boston market. Target is out, but not because they weren't interested, rather the load zone couldn't be made to work for them.

Office - Haven't heard anything, but I think the sales pitch will be much more effective once the building is complete, as this project has the ability to redefine the area. If the developer really wants to use the political process to his advantage, he would get the mayor to "relocate" the homeless from the area.

Residential - This seems like the weakest link in the project to me, at least for luxury condos. Luxury apartments perhaps, or smaller semi-luxury condos would be better IMO, though I'm sure the numbers don't work if they can't get over $1,200/sf and they are limited in the number of units, so they can't build more smaller ones.

I share your concern but given the recent invenstment in the area I have hope that things are changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back