Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Filene's

L1080181.jpg

Location of stairs to Filene's Basement.

L1080175.jpg

Hawley Street facade.

Work? Some describe it as a "pointless occupation of space".

L1080199.jpg

The roof of the 1912 building.

Reminds me of the last scene in 'The Departed'.

img9258oa0.jpg

img9259fu3.jpg

img9261sy1.jpg

img9269vq2.jpg

Hey, I see Tobyjug!!

img9273ct3.jpg

img9272jp3.jpg

img9280vi0.jpg

Hawley St:

img9283mm7.jpg

Is that a subway station? The glass thingy protruding from the ground? Or is it the secret underground lair of Filene's basement?

Subway entrance to Downtown Crossing Station (or Washington St. Station or whatever they call it now.) Built in late 80's in last remodelling of Urine Sloppers Park.

What is the proper pronunciation: "figh-leenes" or "fih-leenes"

People from the midwest (specifically st. louis) referred to the latter, at least they did in college.

I've always known it as FIGH-leens.

I always said Figh (as in High) leens.

Toby, thanks as always for the pictures. You too, kz

People from St. Louis say things odd. I don't want to live with a bunch of hicks who had unnecessary R's into words.

My pleasure! Yes, it is "Fi" (as in high) "leans" (as in leans).

Noooooooo.

No no no no no.

It is fi (as in, having a "fit") leens (as in "teens"). That is the old, original way of saying it. (Back when Mr Wm Filene and sons were around, no doubt.)

If you are a true Bostonian, you'll pronounce it that way.

I guarantee, though, if you do say it that way, people will either think you have no idea what you're talking about, or think you're just trying to be a pompous ass.

Which suits me just fine.

The "acceptable" way is Figh (as in "high) leens (as in "teens"), but it's wrong.

Fine, be that way. I guess I'm just gonna have to go eat my mashed po-tah-toes

Hmmm. I do recall hearing it said that way ("Fill-eens"). Puts me in mind of the great "Fannel" "Funnel", "Fan-you-all", "Fan-eye", "Fan-yull", "Fan-oye" (the latter most likely being the way Pete himself pronounced it) Hall debate.

Actually, founder William Filene was Wilhelm Katz, a German Jewish immigrant who opened a tailor shop in 1849. The "Filene" name is a phonticized spin of "feline", which is a pun on "Katz" (cats, get it?).

So put on some leather knickers, a "Cherman axzent" and fool around with it some. You'll probably come up with how it was originally pronounced, and maybe some memorable invitations from passersby. But I'll let you guys play Sgt Schultz; you can call it Katz' Basement as long as you bring back the "Automatic Markdown Plan"!

I've never heard it prnounced Jimbo's way. What did the store's TV and radio commercials say? I'd consider them the authority on this.

I've never heard it prnounced Jimbo's way. What did the store's TV and radio commercials say? I'd consider them the authority on this.

Actually, saying, "FIGH-LEENS" is akin to saying, "TREE-MONT".

People from St. Louis say things odd. I don't want to live with a bunch of hicks who had unnecessary R's into words.

Not a fan of hicks either, but we also add r's to words... refer to "yea"

Gramatically, Figh-lenes=Tree-mont. But really fi-LENES is more akin to Tree-mont in that you sound like your a complete moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back