Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Filene's

Voranado is not to blame. They are just the outside investor. John Hynes/Gale are the local partners and they fouled this up BIG TIME. The local partner's job is to handle the positioning, branding and local publicity/PR for the project.

Right from the very beginning, Gale showed a complete and fundamental lack of understanding of how to position this development - what it was supposed to mean to the city, etc. They treated it like it was just another office building.

He never got the personality and the emotion of the site correct and just couldn't sell the thing to anyone. There was no strategy at all behind the marketing - no rhyme or reason to any of the decisions that were made.

His failure here means that Seaport Square will likely stay parking lots for a while. Can't imagine Boss Menino allowing him to do anything else in this city. Oh wait... they support Menino so scratch that. They can feel perfectly free to do whatever they want.

It's time to give longshot mayoral candidate Kevin McCrea a look. The nice thing about rich politicians like Ted Kennedy, John Kerry or Mitt Romney is that they can't be bought - nobody can afford to buy them.

It's time to give longshot mayoral candidate Kevin McCrea a look. The nice thing about rich politicians like Ted Kennedy, John Kerry or Mitt Romney is that they can't be bought - nobody can afford to buy them.

Money isn't the only thing people are bought with.

The only difference between a crooked businessman and a politician, is everyone already assumes the politician is a crook.

Filene's Basement unloaded to liquidator

By Greg Turner | Tuesday, April 21, 2009 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Business & Markets

A California-based liquidator has scooped up the struggling Filene?s Basement, and it was unclear if the historic Hub retailer would keep operating.

Owner Retail Ventures Inc. announced late today the ?disposition? of the 25-store subsidiary to an affiliate of Buxbaum Group of Agoura Hills, Calif.

Retail Ventures said it ?will not realize any proceeds? from the deal.

The unloading of Filene?s Basement comes five days after the 100-year-old chain was officially put on the block.

?Filene?s Basement has recently experienced significant liquidity problems,? Columbus, Ohio-based Retail Ventures said in a statement. ?Future plans for the operation of the Filene?s Basement business are uncertain and will be controlled by . . . its new owner.?

A Buxbaum Group spokesman declined comment, referring calls to Filene?s Basement spokeswoman Mariellen Burns, who was not immediately available.

[cross-posted from UniversalHub.com]

Thank you, John B. Hynes III , for destroying Filene's Basement

One man is responsible for this disaster: John B. Hynes III. He was supposed to redevelop the Filene's building into an office-retail-condo-hotel complex, but instead decided to walk away from the development after digging a huge hole and demolishing two of its four walls.

As a result, Filene's Basement has been closed for the last two years and is utterly unable to return to its home. I'm not at all surprised that it appears to be going under, but I'm certainly disgusted. If you feel the same way, call Mr. Hynes at 617.350.7577 and thank him for destroying a treasured Boston retail icon.

Um, Hynes fucked up bad, but it wasn't a one-man job. Blame the landlords of the former B&N and all the rest who are ruining Downtown Crossing, too. If Filene's Basement could have rented elsewhere nearby, it would have.

(Also, did the whole chain depend on this one store? Really?)

Another article I posted a few days ago said that Downtown Crossing was responsible for 20% of the chain's sales. So yeah, closing it made a huge difference.

Another article I posted a few days ago said that Downtown Crossing was responsible for 20% of the chain's sales. So yeah, closing it made a huge difference.

The Filenes people are idiots too.

You dont just close your best selling stores and but your eggs in the "well be back in 2 years!'' basket. Anybody could have told them the new building wouldnt be done in the time frame promised. Nothing in Boston ever is.

T

[cross-posted from UniversalHub.com]

Thank you, John B. Hynes III , for destroying Filene's Basement

One man is responsible for this disaster: John B. Hynes III. He was supposed to redevelop the Filene's building into an office-retail-condo-hotel complex, but instead decided to walk away from the development after digging a huge hole and demolishing two of its four walls.

As a result, Filene's Basement has been closed for the last two years and is utterly unable to return to its home. I'm not at all surprised that it appears to be going under, but I'm certainly disgusted. If you feel the same way, call Mr. Hynes at 617.350.7577 and thank him for destroying a treasured Boston retail icon.

I would say it was HYNES ego that got him here. They paid too much for this site. The numbers just don't make sense unless your investor for 50 Years. I think Hynes thought he was going to pull off a quick flip Lincoln St. deal. We'll his timing was way off and he got caught in the eye of the storm.

This was also the worst planning in history from the BRA. This organization is a waste of Tax Payers money.

Mayor Menino and John Hynes share the blame.

It's not just this site, it's the trifecta of the Gaiety Theatre site, Kensington Place parking lot and now the Filene's hole.

Mayor Menino must go.
Flaherty is more of exactly the same (crooked, corrupt and a hack)
Yoon is more of the worst (just as dumb, twice as anti-development).

Kevin McCrea and I disagree on a lot of stuff, but his goal of disbanding the BRA is a big, bold step and he's definitely got my protest vote/support.

Menino bears the blame for this.

This is a city that has a stranglehold on development; projects take years just to gain approval. Yet it took this project less than a year before demolition was started. They had just enough money to rent the bulldozer.

Doesn't that strike anyone as odd? What happened? Was it a quid pro quo? Was it just sheer incompetence? Either way, Menino has to bear the brunt of this - he is the front man of an administration that destroyed one of the city's major shopping districts.

If someone cares to unravel this, they can undo him once and for all.

This project didn't take very long in the approval process. I was shocked at how fast a project this size and complicated was approved.

It's not just this site, it's the trifecta of the Gaiety Theatre site, Kensington Place parking lot and now the Filene's hole.

Nitpick: the first two are the same site. Also, I didn't think it had actually been turned into a parking lot?

Oh, sorry - what is the official name of the parking lot in DTX that Boss Menino handed to his friend Tony Pangaro? THe one across from the OPera House and Paramount?

That site, the Gaiety hole and the Filene's hole are the three sites I'm talking about.

Menino's record on development is absolutely despicable from a planning standpoint, from an ethical standpoint, and from a business standpoint.

...what is the official name of the parking lot in DTX that Boss Menino handed to his friend Tony Pangaro? The one across from the Opera House and Paramount?

Hayward Place.

Menino's record on development is absolutely despicable from a planning standpoint, from an ethical standpoint, and from a business standpoint.

Perhaps we should compile a list of Menino's transgressions, and triage them. It may be a fun exercise.

If we're going to do that, let's at least be consistent. It does not make sense to simultaneously claim that projects are approved too quickly (e.g. Filene's) and too slowly (e.g. Harbor Garage or Fan Pier)

There you go being reasonable again Ron.

*Sheesh.*

But that's the point - Filene's got the fast track, while every other project gets to wither and die.

The consistent point is that the approval process is used both as punishment and reward by the mayor to the detriment of the city.

The process is flawed, not the claim.

Neither. The process should be based on valid criteria; proposals should be evaluated according to merit, not whether or not the mayor likes you. Balanced, objective reviews should be conducted according to a set timeframe. I would think that tearing down a landmark would necessitate a lengthier review, more scrutiny and certain assurances that the integrity of the site would be maintained. Now Downtown Crossing looks like London after the war. It's a disgrace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back