Miner St. Developments | Fenway

416 Park Drive
Can you spot it?
2150399107_da8776a912_b.jpg

2151190530_c1c6d2c61e_b.jpg

2150400957_25227f3c76_b.jpg

2150401915_555a65704d_b.jpg

I was a little underwhelmed by the vertical bay but then I saw the side bays. It's a shame they are tucked in but they look really nice and are a great touch most developers wouldn't think about.
2151193400_7629a1ee88_b.jpg

2151194548_4ed9ee2b0f_b.jpg

16 Miner St
2150404771_963201fa4c_b.jpg

2151196530_c3a1473f4d_b.jpg

2151197566_79035fb022_b.jpg

2150407385_0cc56146e9_b.jpg

2151199082_b432b787ce_b.jpg

2151200016_309904ee62_b.jpg

2150409829_978597d6c4_b.jpg

Thoughts: These two projects have proven that it is possible to build quality, attractive buildings on small lots in Boston. The city needs to promote more infill projects like this.

The city needs to promote more infill projects like this.

Amen Van! I was going to list the places in Boston I thought would benefit most from some infill but they are just too numerous.

btw- Thanks for the update. I think it will really look great when the copper turns green.

The one one on park drive wasn't a planned project. If you remember that apartment building burned down a couple of years ago.

Just got off the phone with the sales agent at Audubon Park (16 Miner St). They had their first closings, last week. Eight of the 53 units are under agreement; four of those units are closed and people have moved in.

Prices range from $459,000 to $814,000 depending on size, floor, and view. Parking an additional $75,000.

Eight out of 53 is not great, since they started marketing them back in late-2006.

Still, it's a start. Since they're done, maybe they'll get lucky and have people show a renewed interest over the coming months.

Three units are on the rental market by one of the owners; a one-bedroom for $2,00, and two-bedrooms at $2,700 and $3,000.

Notice the windows on the new construction and then look at the ones on all the others. The windows on the new construction are wider and are placed side by side in the bay. All the others have tinner windows and they are placed individually. This is a visual trick that most people don't realize but is something that always rubs me the wrong way.

I want to say it was Christopher Alexander who wrote about this but I can't find it in either of the two books of his I own so I'll just paraphrase:

A tall, thin window tells you, subconsciously, that there are living, active people inside the dwelling. A wide, horizontal window makes one think of a person lying down, asleep, inactive, even dead. Thus a tall, thin window is more harmonious to the person walking down the street, and a wide, horizontal window makes someone uneasy.

You can debate whether or not that is the image going though someone's mind when they see wide windows but the feelings the different window types convey are real. Wide, horizontal windows always make me uneasy unless they are designed a certain way that works with the overall building concept. Obviously most architects/developers are not going to spend the extra time and money worrying about whether a window is harmonious with the building.
There are many, many cheap apartment buildings going up like this (but much, much more bland) around where a good friend of mine lives in Queens. We go walking a lot and like to see the new construction and every new building, all of them, have wide, horizontal windows and no matter the quality of the brick or prefab they use, is ugly because of the windows.

The windows are the eyes of a building. Can you even look a person in the eyes if their eyes are all weired? They could be a great person but if they have a lazy eye or something I defy you to look them in the eye and not feel just a little uncomfortable. A building is the same way.

I think the people paying money, inside, wanting more light get preference over you walking by.

From the Herald
New Park at Fenway
Audubon Park condos step up with style
By Paul Restuccia
Saturday, March 8, 2008 - Updated 12h ago

Located at 16 Miner St. in the Fenway?s Audubon Circle neighborhood, the 53-unit development offers what builder Robert Fox calls ?Asian fusion? design. That?s a contemporary look of clean lines and colors that combines a loft?s open feel with traditional walled bedrooms.

Targeted at young professionals and empty nesters, Audubon Park has 17 studio, one- and two-bedroom units still available, priced from $455,000 to $789,000.

We recently looked at Unit 404, a two-bedroom-suite condo that?s listed at $735,000.

Audubon Park exudes style from the moment you approach the six-story complex from the street.

The building?s exterior featurea banded brick, concrete quoins and metal projecting bays fronted by a large wooden trellis. Located at the nexus of the Massachusetts Turnpike and the Green Line?s D branch, the structure also offers unobstructed city views from all sides.

Entering the building?s stylish lobby, you?ll quickly notice the oak paneling and granite-and-bluestone floors. A green-granite concierge desk, staffed daily from 10 a.m.-8 p.m., looks like the surface of a kid?s toy marble.

A set of elevators whisks you to the fourth floor, where a hallway outfitted with green carpeting and recessed lighting leads to 1,090-square-foot Unit 404.

The condo opens into a hallway with bamboo flooring.

An adjacant, 13-by-8-foot galley kitchen features recessed lighting, two contemporary pendant lamps, bamboo floors and a dozen maple-stained rubberwood cabinets. There are also Carioca Gold countertops that extend out to a two seat breakfast bar.

Top-of-the-line appliances include a Fisher-Paykel stainless-steel refrigerator, along with a black Bosch dishwasher and electric stove with a matching microwave oven above.

Two storage closets sit opposite the kitchen, as does a third closet that hosts a white Bosch stacked washer/dryer.

Nearby, a bright, 22-by-12-foot open dining/living room features bamboo flooring and enough space for a dining table and a good amount of living-room furniture. A front window, a corner double window and two large glass sliders that open onto a Juliette balcony provide lots of natural light, although with nice West Fenway views.

Unit 404?s master-bedroom suite includes a 15-by-12-foot bedroom with wall-to-wall carpeting, a 6-by-5-foot walk-in closet and two windows offering good city views.

The en-suite, 9-by-6-foot master bath features beige-porcelain flooring, a wood vanity with a beige-marble countertop and a combination tub/shower with a semicircular shower curtain.

The unit?s second bedroom suite consists of a 13-by-11 bedroom with two deep closets and glass sliding double doors that lead out to a Juliette balcony offering nice city views.This bedroom also has its own 8-by-8-foot bathroom, which features beige porcelain-tile flooring, and a walk-in shower done in almond-colored square tiles and a wood vanity with a beige Botticino marble countertop.

The condo also includes a 7-by-6-foot den/home office with carpeted floors.

Unit 404?s $566 monthly condo fee includes heat, hot water and air conditioning from the complex?s shared, gas-fired utilities. You also get a private storage cage in the building?s basement, although a deeded parking space in the site?s underground garage will cost an extra $65,000.

As for the neighborhood, Audubon Park is just a short walk from the Green Line?s Fenway station. It?s also about a quarter-mile from the Landmark Center?s shops and movie theater, as well as less than a half-mile from Kenmore Square?s stores and restaurants.

For more information or a chance to view this property, call Fred Alibrandi of Otis & Ahearn Real Estate at 617-267-3500.

$566 monthly condo fee? ouch. Thats almost as much as i pay for rent!

I really like the copper building too.

Whoever wrote this was payed handsomely by the developer. I mean, they make living next to a highway and a railroad seem like a great thing!

Same situation with the MacAllen building. Who wants to spend 1.7 million for a unit in a not so great area overlooking a rail/bus yard and a highway?

Why someone doesn't do some serious historic high end restoration and rennovation of the prewar housing stock in the Fenway is beyond me.

I think it is because most of that housing is occupied by students and owned by people who know they don't have to invest much since there will always be a steady supply of new tenants.

going to auction:

Fenway Condos Head To Auction Block
By Paul McMorrow
Banker & Tradesman Staff WriterToday
Failed California lender IndyMac is working on a familiar task, but in an unusual location: It's cleaning up the pieces of a soured development project, blocks from Fenway Park.
OneWest Bank, the organization that plucked IndyMac from FDIC receivership, has scheduled a late April foreclosure auction at the Audubon Park condominiums. The bank is also locked in a months-long legal battle with the project's developer and investor, claiming the pair is personally on the hook for as much as $11.8 million.
Developer Robert Fox brought the 53-unit project to Miner Street in Boston's Fenway neighborhood in January 2008, just as the state's condominium market was beginning its precipitous fall. He financed the development with a $23.6 million construction loan from IndyMac.
Failed development bets in California doomed IndyMac, which folded in July 2008. The bank did minimal building business in Massachusetts, though. The Audubon Park construction loan was the only mortgage north of $5 million IndyMac ever wrote in Suffolk County, according to The Warren Group, publisher of Banker & Tradesman. It was one of just two IndyMac loans of more than $5 million in all of Massachusetts.
The developer sold 10 units before IndyMac's failure, at prices ranging from $400,000 to $725,000.
However, the bank's implosion coincided with a cash shortfall on Fox Development's part, and with the condo market's unraveling. Unit sales dried up. Fox was unable to pay off his contractor, Columbia Construction. Instead, Fox granted Columbia an unusual second mortgage on the project for the balance of the firm's unpaid work, $350,000.
An LLC controlled by OneWest sued Fox and his investor, Jonathan Sherwin, last July. The complaint said after the Audubon Park construction loan matured in December 2008, Fox had converted the unsold condo units to rentals. Such conversion was prohibited by the construction loan's terms, the complaint said.
OneWest also alleged that it found the development's financial documents "in disarray," with scant accounting for the deposits residents had put down on 23 rental units. The bank said that, while condo sales had taken $7.33 million off the construction loan's outstanding balance, rental income was not flowing to the lender.
A OneWest workout officer said in an affidavit that the bank wouldn't be able to foreclose while residents were living in the building on rental leases.
The lender has scheduled a late April foreclosure, putting the 41 unsold residences on the auction block as a unit.
An auction is unlikely to recover the nearly $20 million OneWest says it's owed, though, so the bank is trying to collect on a personal guaranty and a non-recourse carve-out guaranty that Fox signed. That guaranty puts Fox on the hook for up to $11.8 million, OneWest says.
Fox has argued in court filings that the auction proceeds, when added to the construction loan's partial repayment, should put enough money on the table to shield him from any personal liability.
Fox could not be reached through his attorney. Corporation papers on file with the Secretary of State show Fox Development legally dissolved last year. OneWest declined comment citing the pending suit.

According to last week's Boston Courant, the Stonewall Communities parcel has been purchased by TJAC Development, which is planning a seven-story, 69-unit apartment building on the lot.

The earlier proposal was for condos and had been reduced from nine stories in response to neighborhood opposition. That proposal was a victim of the economic recession.

The new developer has proposed a mixture of one- and two-bedroom units, 750- to 900-square feet in space.

The developer has previously built private housing marketed to students, which has led to some resistance from neighbors who say they were unaware of this, and fear it will become an off-site "dormitory" for college-aged kids from area universities.

This month's award for exaggeration goes to the Aberdeen Street resident (one block over) who said the new seven-story building would "loom" over her two-story home.

"I'm sickened," she said.

Yeah, me too, sister.

Aberdeen St

aberdeen.png

Miner St

miner.png

Last edited:
Lady, your precious, out of place two story home is already being "loomed over" by a six-story building.

Back