Minneapolis | Twin Cities

The hotel under construction is on N 1st Street. FWIW, the Haute Dish sign is still there even though it closed year ago.

Is that boutique hotel where Haute Dish used to be on North Washington, a few doors down from Sex World? It's been a while since I lived in Minneapolis, but that's the only two-story white building I can remember in the North Loop 😅

These mf's living in the residential tower's south side will have an excellent view of watching the Twins play amateur baseball. ;)
53008222059_fbd786a2cf_c.jpg

I'm looking forward to this hotel's completion. The North Loop needs more than 1 other boutique, a Residence by Marriott, an Element, and a Four Seasons.

53007462957_1cffc90188_c.jpg

Some more 5 over 1 fill, around the corner from the hotel and down the street from Hines' T3 (background). All of these places here line a BNSF freight line. I am talking mile-long trains that rumble and squeal loudly day and night. I wonder if they insulate them for sound?

53007462942_f57dd7253c_c.jpg

At a 5 over 1 in the burbs I took pics of up-thread in St Louis Park - hand-laid bricks, not cheap precast!!

53008538678_5f1afc0f78_c.jpg

Last edited:
Minneapolis has a YIMBY message for America: Build more houses and get rid of suburban-style zoning and inflation will disappear

Imagine that, cut red tape, provide incentives, build a lot of housing in the city and adjacent burbs along transit lines and rents don't go through the roof.

In May, the Twin Cities became the first major metropolitan area to see annual inflation fall below the Federal Reserve’s target of 2%. Its 1.8% pace of price increases was the lowest of any region that month.
That’s largely due to a region-wide push to address one of the most intractable issues for both the Fed and American consumers: rising housing costs. Well before pandemic-related supply-chain snarls and labor shortages roiled the economy, the city of Minneapolis eliminated zoning that allowed only single-family homes and since 2018 has invested $320 million for rental assistance and subsidies.
That helped unleash a boom in construction of apartments and condos in the region that proved to be a powerful antidote against inflation, given that the cost of shelter accounts for more than a third of the overall US consumer-price index. Minneapolis shelter prices were up at half the nation’s annual pace in May.

Rent growth in Minneapolis since 2017 is just 1%, compared with 31% in the US overall, according to the Pew Charitable Trusts. Its share of affordable rental units and ratio of rent to income are better than most comparable US metro areas.
“There is no more effective way to rein in inflation than to expand the supply of affordable housing and increase housing affordability,” said Moody’s Analytics chief economist Mark Zandi.

Last edited:
Not surprising at all for anyone who has been paying attention. Theyve built a billion 5 over 1s over the last few years, more than any other city and its good that now the data is backing up what so many people have been saying for so long. Its important to get success stories like this to point to for others in different cities with massing housing affordability problems so they can say see it worked there now lets make it work here. Hopefully soon the Boston metro will pull its head out of its ass and stop cutting down every single proposal while were in the midst of this housing crisis.

It really is wild how much 5 over 1s are going up. I live in a residential area in the city that looks like Belmont or Arlington and within a mile of me there are 5-6 5/1 buildings going up right now.

I lived in a brand new one when I first got here. Coming from Hudson Hards in NYC and all the jokes about Alucobond and wood construction and it has no soul, it must be cheap & disposable, etc., I found it to be very nice and ate some humble pie. The one closest to me is brand new, right on the light rail (that is still under construction) and a spacious 1 br is going for $1600/mo. - minutes from a lake & parks, a Whole Foods, wine shop, restaurants, etc.

Not surprising at all for anyone who has been paying attention. Theyve built a billion 5 over 1s over the last few years, more than any other city and its good that now the data is backing up what so many people have been saying for so long. Its important to get success stories like this to point to for others in different cities with massing housing affordability problems so they can say see it worked there now lets make it work here. Hopefully soon the Boston metro will pull its head out of its ass and stop cutting down every single proposal while were in the midst of this housing crisis.

That makes sense. I've also read reporting that it was also a change in the atmosphere (or the perception of the atmosphere) at City Hall -- that developers were more willing to jump into the pool because they perceived a friendlier reception waiting for them, regardless of whether or not that was true. Now, I just wish I could find the news stories that suggested this!

I went to an event at the W Hotel in the Foshay Tower. It is like Minneapolis' version of the Custom House Tower. It had a nice view of our handful of tall buildings.

IDS Center and Wells Fargo Center. I like the WF Center. New-ish, but has a lot of great attention to detail, plus cool setbacks.
53132266337_42efc14be3_c.jpg

WF Center and the Capella Tower. I am not a fan of the po-mo Capella. To make things worse, they light up that visor/lid thing at the top.
53133272835_825c4d060d_c.jpg

Got a nice view of the 4th & Park tower going up, as well as the new RAMSA-designed ELEVEN condo tower background. Such a nice building
53133272725_ff6bd409b6_c.jpg

The "historic" Duffy Paper Company factory buildings (2 connected by a walkway) in the North Loop is being redeveloped into a ~360-unit apartment complex. It has sat vacant for 15 years while every other lot around it has been loaded up with 5 over 1.

53187609391_99bbb97c2b_c.jpg

So Minneapolis is one of those cities I've considered visiting, but I've been reluctant only because from what I've seen, the street life...particularly in the downtown area, seems completely lacking. I've done a lot of exploring on street view and watched a few videos on You Tube of people touring the downtown and it just seems jarringly devoid of people on the sidewalks. I realize that the weather there is brutally cold for 4-6 months out of the year and there is an extensive skywalk system (not dissimilar from the RESO in Montreal, only above ground), but as someone who enjoys walking around neighborhoods with lots of people in them, it just seems like the options there are few and far between?

Happy to learn that I'm off base if others have any insight?

My recollection from living there was that you find better pedestrian experiences in the neighborhoods -- Northeast, Linden Hills, Lake Street, Cathedral Hill in St. Paul -- but there's no getting away from the fact that it's a Midwestern city that took advantage of all the elbow room they had when building in the first place.

So Minneapolis is one of those cities I've considered visiting, but I've been reluctant only because from what I've seen, the street life...particularly in the downtown area, seems completely lacking.

To be fair, I often walk around the financial district outside of work hours and it's typically nearly devoid of people. For every busy street in Boston, there are half a dozen other streets that are practically dead.

Having lived in Boston an NYC for most of my life, here are my thoughts.

Life here is really, really easy - good quality of life, great jobs, and a fairly low cost of living.

The metro area is 4.5M people, so it is not as big as Boston, but it is plenty big enough that you are not going to the same restaurants over and over.

The downtown area is classic Midwest, it is like Boston's financial district or FiDi or Downtown Brooklyn (pre-housing boom) - very quiet at night and on weekends. While there is no Back Bay, Beacon Hill or analogous Manhattan neighborhoods in the "downtown" - there are plenty of great adjacent neighborhoods, like Northeast, Uptown, North Loop, Linden Hills, etc.

Getting out into the countryside is easy. The metro is shaped sort of like a round blob and I live on the western side of the city, so in less than 30 minutes, I can be in literal open farm country like you see in the movies, rolling fields, with red barns and grain silos, etc. It looks like something out of a movie if you are Northeast born/raised.

Our state fair (one of the largest in the country and held in the city of St Paul), fall season pumpkin patches/apple picking/hay rides/etc. are all undefeated.

Our airport is excellent, is a Delta hub, and is about 25-30 minutes of light traffic driving for most people in the metro.

Winter - the 800-pound gorilla.
It is about 8 weeks of terror. November and the first part of December are like Boston winters. The end of February and all of March are like Boston winters. The roughly 8-week period in between is a total wildcard. Last year, the end of December was below zero for a week. The year before it was in February. My first winter it was in January where daytime highs did not go above zero for a week. It is in the teens a lot - and this was argued a lot on a previous page here, but the lack of dampness and intense wind you get in Boston and NYC just does not exist. We also get a lot of sunny days - not much grey gloom. 20 degrees - dry, sunny and a 2mph breeze is actually quite nice. You have to buy a heavy coat, but then you are good.
We don't get a ton of snow here - it is too cold to snow. Also rock salt barely works here - you have to buy a special kind that works in super-cold weather. However, once you get a hard freeze in November and a small storm in mid-November, you don't see your lawn again until April.

Return on investment: Spring, Summer and Fall - the weather across all 3 seasons is awesome. Typical summer days are mid-80's, dry and sunny.
During the summer, the sun goes down after 9pm and is light out past 9:30. The sun also comes up really early and at 5am it is perfectly light outside before sunrise.
I live near 3 lakes, biking paths, and as I said earlier, getting out of town for camping, fishing, etc is very easy. Everybody is out doing something after work and the weekends.

So Minneapolis is one of those cities I've considered visiting, but I've been reluctant only because from what I've seen, the street life...particularly in the downtown area, seems completely lacking. I've done a lot of exploring on street view and watched a few videos on You Tube of people touring the downtown and it just seems jarringly devoid of people on the sidewalks. I realize that the weather there is brutally cold for 4-6 months out of the year and there is an extensive skywalk system (not dissimilar from the RESO in Montreal, only above ground), but as someone who enjoys walking around neighborhoods with lots of people in them, it just seems like the options there are few and far between?

Happy to learn that I'm off base if others have any insight?

It's funny you say winter feels like a "terror." Maybe it's because I was in my teens and 20s when I lived there, but other than the 4 p.m. sunsets and learning to cover my face once it got below 25 degrees, it was still pretty fun? Things like the Loppet race and the Art Shanties still kept the outdoors fun, and the huge local music and arts scenes kept my energy up.

Winter - the 800-pound gorilla.
It is about 8 weeks of terror. November and the first part of December are like Boston winters. The end of February and all of March are like Boston winters. The roughly 8-week period in between is a total wildcard.

Are they like the “normal” boston winters or the “probably new normal” boston winters of the last 6-7 years. If its like the old boston winters plus 8 weeks of terror that sounds pretty rough. If its like the new boston winters then thats not too bad. I’m not sure how long ago you moved out there, but recently the winters here have been nothing like they used to be. I left for the Marines in january 2011 and the week I left Ma got a 3ft snowstorm, and was pounded thereafter. Since I got out on christmas day 2015 and returned to the state Ive noticed a massive drop off and it seems to be less and less every year. For the most part theres hardly any snow accumulated on the ground for most of winter. A couple years ago we got a foot of snow, but for the most part its really not that bad anymore and its nothing like when I was younger.

Good question. It is sunny most days, dry with little/no breeze so I would say upper 20's and low 30's during the day in those similar to Boston winters. Now that you mention it, the early and late winter periods are far better than Boston, haha. We never get the gloomy, damp, grey, cloudy cold days I remember. When you take away the grey skies, the damp, and the wind, 30 degrees ain't so bad.

We only get about 40-45 inches of snow from November through the end of March, so we are not constantly digging out, more that it just doesn't melt.
The 8 weeks I mentioned is more that anything can happen in those 8 weeks and not that it is below zero the whole time, haha.

Since last winter was much warmer than usual, Boston had no snow and it was "warm enough" here for us to actually get a f-load of snow.

From the weather records that Weather Underground has, there were stretches where the highs were low teens to single digits and the lows were below zero. Other times it was closer to Boston in the winter. This was at the airport which is at the southern end of the area.

Back