Mission Hill Infill and Small Developments

A handsome project. Too bad the 3 decker won't be relocated, it's a rather nice one.

This replaces a parking lot next the K of C.
https://flic.kr/p/MQvErg

That lot's been screaming for redevelopment... too bad it's not a floor or two bigger. An attractive 6 story building would fit well there.

1470 Tremont project site fenced off.

A handsome project. Too bad the 3 decker won't be relocated, it's a rather nice one.

Yeah, and an old-looking one - I do like the sort of modern tribute to it though. It would be kinda cool if they cantilevered a bigger building right over the two old ones on Tremont... Actually, that'd look gross. Stick with this.

COSTLY WORD ALERT:

Cantilever = +$50/sf.

cca

This is the type of project we need everywhere on the city - and the type of thing that speeding approvals and loosening zoning would allow

This is the type of project we need everywhere on the city - and the type of thing that speeding approvals and loosening zoning would allow

Curcuas -- check out the Readville proposed apartment complex in an adjacent thread

Art Park site lawsuit dismissed

The lawsuit over the proposed Art Park development has been dismissed, but an appeal is likely.

Kathryn and Oscar Brookins filed a lawsuit over the City’s Zoning Board of Appeals’ (ZBA) decision to grant variances for the project in 2014. They claimed in the lawsuit that the ZBA exceeded its authority granting the variances and that they would be aggrieved by the project because of parking, traffic, noise, and property value impacts. The Brookinses own three properties in the area, including one in which they live at.

Judge Judith C. Cutler dismissed the lawsuit on Oct. 18, stating that the Brookinses had failed to show that they are aggrieved by the variance decision, and because of that, they lack the standing to maintain the lawsuit.

http://missionhillgazette.com/2016/11/04/art-park-site-lawsuit-dismissed/

The Brookins have been doing this for decades...and have made a very tidy sum of money acting as jailhouse lawyers and fleecing developers for extortion payments to go away.

I almost lived in that three decker right after college. It needed some love, but was very spacious inside.

Or they should have to pay court costs when they lose!

Art Park is still in appeal. The judge is still confident that her decision will stand, the developer is still proposing to build what we saw years ago, and the city is still enthusiastic about the design.

http://missionhillgazette.com/2017/...ver-art-park-site-developer-sticks-with-plan/

Thank you. Frivolous obstructionist adventurism on exhibit. Once again: no evidence provided to prove they are aggrieved by a variance that will allow 44 units to be built in the middle of a large American city; Awesome projects held up for years. And people wonder why housing costs are obscene in this city. You can't make this shit up.

Court battle continues over Art Park site; developer sticks with plan

January 6, 2017
By Emily Resnevic

The developer of the Art Park development is still planning on moving forward with the project as a court battle continues.

Sebastian Mariscal Studios (SMS) won approval in 2014 to build a 44-unit development on City-owned land between Parker and Terrace streets. Later that year, Mission Hill residents Kathryn Brookins and her husband Oscar filed a lawsuit against the City’s Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) for granting variances for the project. A judge dismissed that lawsuit late last year, a decision the Brookinses are now appealing.

....The City’s Department of Neighborhood Development (DND), which has been spearheading the effort to get the City-owned land developed, is still enthusiastic about the development.

“This is an extremely high-quality housing development that will not only bring much-needed housing at a variety of income levels to Mission Hill, but will also create beautiful open space for the enjoyment of the neighborhood,” said Lisa Pollack, spokesperson for DND, in a statement.

She continued, “There has been a robust and thorough community process around this development, which has won broad community support. We sincerely hope that the legal proceedings will soon come to a close, so this development can move forward quickly to benefit the Mission Hill community.”

Brookinses filed a lawsuit in 2014 ....claiming that the ZBA exceeded its authority granting the variances and that they would be aggrieved by the project because of parking, traffic, noise, and property value impacts. The Brookinses own three properties in the area, including one in which they live at.

Judge Judith C. Cutler dismissed the lawsuit on Oct. 18, stating that the Brookinses had failed to show that they are aggrieved by the variance decision, and because of that, they lack the standing to maintain the lawsuit.

“Because I find that the plaintiffs are not aggrieved by the variance decision, their appeal will be dismissed on that basis and I need not, and do not, reach the underlying question of whether the ZBA exceeded its authority in granting the subject variances for the proposed development,” the judge wrote.

SMS plans to redevelop the Art Park site into 44 apartments with 10 affordable housing units; 58,000 square feet of green space; and 4,000 square feet of retail space. The site will have 30 parking spaces and 82 bike-parking spaces.

The site will also have community gardens on the roof of the buildings, along with a solar-panel farm towards the Terrace Street side. It is expected to be LEED-certified at “Platinum,” which is the construction industry’s highest energy-efficient rating. The site is slated to produce more energy than it will use.

The Boston Redevelopment Authority and the City’s Zoning Board of Appeals both approved the project in 2014 after a two-year community process.

Over the past 15 years, the Brookinses have filed lawsuits against several real estate projects in Mission Hill and the Longwood Medical Area, sometimes gaining settlements, sometimes having the suits tossed out of court. In 2012, they were among the plaintiffs who settled a lawsuit out of court, reportedly for a large sum of money, over zoning approval of Northeastern University’s controversial East Village dorm project.

My God, those damn powerlines! What a freakin mess!

+1

I literally thought to myself this morning as I walked down the street, "they need to put all of these power lines underground like Miami, looks crazy and cheap."

Definitely wouldn't get any money from me to live in there with all of that going on, it's only a matter of time before one breaks loose!

Back