Mission Hill Infill and Small Developments

ETA: this post was in response to someone's post that referred to a hearing yesterday on the Art Park lawsuit. Whoever posted it, they took it down before I was done, hence this post looks a bit apropos of nothing. That poster was wondering if there was any sense of how the hearing went. [OK, now either my computer's going screwy on me or I need to hit the bar early - Scipio's post is back now..... maybe I'll just hit the bar anyhow....]

ETA a second time: here's the link to the hearing news:

http://missionhillgazette.com/2017/03/03/motion-to-dismiss-filed-in-art-park-court-case/

Unless some reporter actually attend, probably won't get reported, and this doesn't strike me as high enough profile to draw reporters to a motion to dismiss hearing. Maybe some outlet will prove me wrong.

As for the ruling itself, it usually takes a judge at least thirty days to issue a ruling after just about any motion. I have a colleague who's been waiting six months on a motion to dismiss (not a Boston court, different type of case, but still.... agonizing).

With these plaintiffs' history of similar suits, plus what they're currently trying for*, I would hope the judge doesn't need a lot of time to cut to the chase and decide.

*If I get this right, the same judge doing yesterday's hearing is the judge who tossed them out in October for lack of standing. And yesterday's hearing was just a re-hashing of that standing issue. Shouldn't be a hell of a lot more either side can say on that narrow of a question. She (the judge) can hopefully decide it quickly and with dismissal. This suit looks loopy.

The proposal, on the other hand, looks really interesting, I like this one a lot.

Last edited:
I'm going to hold up two train tickets at the first public meeting for 45 Worthington St.... "These are your fucking tickets for the Lakeshore Ltd, and the City of New Orleans. Where you can take it up with the Bayou folk."

This couple should be required to pay court costs if they lose and the attorney's fees for the developers and the city.

Boston Green Realty proposes to construct Mission Hill Flats, which would be one of Boston's first mixed-use developments to achieve a total of three environmentally-friendly certifications

Proposed five-story mixed-use building featuring 40 apartment residences and 7,200 square feet of ground-floor commercial space. Residences would include studios and 1-bedrooms; 5 residences, including 3 studios and 2 1-bedrooms, would be designated affordable and rented to households earning no more than 70% of Area Median Income (AMI). Commercial units would feature new homes for Roxbury Knights of Columbus and Boston Green Realty, as well as a family style restaurant. Resident amenities would include a 2,000 square foot outdoor roof deck.

http://www.bldup.com/projects/mission-hill-flats

There's a new and fairly large couple of buildings close to being finished on Fisher Ave, just noticed.

^Good riddance.

Edit - also, thought I'd posted this but I apparently did not:

http://the103advantage.com/mission-hill-garage-eyed-apartments/

The Newton-based owner of the The Longwood apartments in Boston’s Mission Hill neighborhood wants to develop another 115-unit apartment building next door.

Wingate Cos. would demolish a 175-space parking garage that services the existing 147-unit Tremont Street apartment building to make way for a new six-story, 83,000-square-foot residential development at 95 St. Alphonsus St., near the Longwood Medical and Academic Area.

The real estate investment and property management company’s new Longwood II Residences would include 40 studios, 35 one-bedroom units, 10 one-bedrooms with dens and 30 two-bedroom apartments. Fifteen of the apartments would be designated affordable.

Wingate’s plans call for a new courtyard between The Longwood and Longwood II Residences that would serve as a vehicle drop-off area for the new building and the pedestrian entrance to its lobby and amenity spaces.

The new building would have 130 parking spaces on the first floor and basement level that would be shared by residents of both Win-gate apartment buildings.

Last edited:
That brickwork is lovely. (I assume it's the real thing?)

1467 is a handsome building. Reminds me of the Chevron. Materials are different, but they're similar in terms of scale, massing, color, and general facade organization. The black muntins and balcony rails are a big plus in both projects.

1467 is nicely done but it's a throwback to 1920's apartment blocks. I'd rather see well-crafted contemporary instead of nostalgia.

I like presence of detailing and the departure from the stripped norm of most apartment developments in Boston today.

Back