MIT East Campus - Kendall Square Gateway | Cambridge

From the top of the MOS and also a couple from the lobby of the Marriott in the past couple of weeks
DSCN0922.JPG

DSCN0926.JPG

DSCN0928.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1073.JPG
    DSCN1073.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 236
  • DSCN0917.JPG
    DSCN0917.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 215
Last edited:
last word on MIT Main Building 4,
crazy dorm tower: not ambiguous FAA
365' (definitely the roof, per other filed reports/multiple points)

"Here, the greatest height reached 365 AGL, making it the highest point of the structure. We are requesting to change the lighting/marking to red lights."

Odurandina -- ambiguous designation of the building as there is an already existing for 100 years MIT Main Bldg 4 part of the original MIT Main Building Complex

The building you are referring to has an official MIT designation
Kendall Square at MIT – Site 4, Buildings E37, E38

So here is something kind of appalling. The Eastgate Graduate Student Housing rent prices were around $1,600 per month. They're raising rents in the new graduate student housing building to $2,600 per month (and tearing down Eastgate). I do NOT think this is what Cambridge expected or wanted when it approved MIT's upzoning in exchange for more graduate student housing. Keep in mind MIT only PAYS Its graduate students around $3,000 per month...so that's over 80% of their paychecks.

I don't like to push an agenda here, but if you also think this is appalling, you can sign a petition here: http://chng.it/RkvFkpV8N9

So here is something kind of appalling. The Eastgate Graduate Student Housing rent prices were around $1,600 per month. They're raising rents in the new graduate student housing building to $2,600 per month (and tearing down Eastgate). I do NOT think this is what Cambridge expected or wanted when it approved MIT's upzoning in exchange for more graduate student housing. Keep in mind MIT only PAYS Its graduate students around $3,000 per month...so that's over 80% of their paychecks.

I don't like to push an agenda here, but if you also think this is appalling, you can sign a petition here: http://chng.it/RkvFkpV8N9
Eastgate is also "Family Housing," so its not a typical dorm. You have to be married and/or have kids to live there. $2,600 for a married couple to live in a brand new apartment in the heart of Kendall is still a below market rate, and on-par with or lower than what other universities charge for graduate housing.

$1,600 is an outright steal.

Eastgate is also "Family Housing," so its not a typical dorm. You have to be married and/or have kids to live there. $2,600 for a married couple to live in a brand new apartment in the heart of Kendall is still a below market rate, and on-par with or lower than what other universities charge for graduate housing.

$1,600 is an outright steal.
Counterpoint: Nobody asked MIT to build graduate student housing in the heart of Kendall Square. Also, many graduate students are international students with rules stating that their spouses cannot work in the U.S., thus making it outright unaffordable.

MIT is not-for-profit with a 17 billion endowment and 3.5 bil operating revenue. Should MIT be trying to make profit off the backs of its most vulnerable? Because that is what this looks like.

$2,600 for a married couple to live in a brand new apartment in the heart of Kendall is still a below market rate.....

Yes, but as students they are also making a below market salary! Not earning the big bucks until after they get that degree.

Yes, but as students they are also making a below market salary! Not earning the big bucks until after they get that degree.
Right, and it's not like this is open to the public, it is ONLY open to students making $3,200 at best. This is only going to be affordable to people with partners earning a decent income or students with rich daddies.

Counterpoint: Nobody asked MIT to build graduate student housing in the heart of Kendall Square. Also, many graduate students are international students with rules stating that their spouses cannot work in the U.S., thus making it outright unaffordable.

Uh... yeah they did. That was literally the number one demand for the KSI. From these same petition-signers.

MIT is not-for-profit with a 17 billion endowment and 3.5 bil operating revenue. Should MIT be trying to make profit off the backs of its most vulnerable? Because that is what this looks like.

I doubt they're trying to make a profit - just pay off construction costs - but I agree in principle. The prices MIT sets for Eastgate should be the same ones it carries forward, since it's MIT that determines how much these folks have to spend. There's nothing market-driven about this situation.

Uh... yeah they did. That was literally the number one demand for the KSI. From these same petition-signers.

I doubt they're trying to make a profit - just pay off construction costs - but I agree in principle. The prices MIT sets for Eastgate should be the same ones it carries forward, since it's MIT that determines how much these folks have to spend. There's nothing market-driven about this situation.
I think people would have been satisfied if they built that graduate student housing elsewhere on campus at the same time as the KSI, if they knew the rents would be priced like this.

The thing is high rents here don't even make sense. It's not like MIT had to acquire this land. It's not like building here costs extra.

Last edited:

Back