MIT Museum/Book Store | née Boeing | 314 Main St. | Kendall Square

I wonder how long before this thread derails into why the Boeing 747 still has 4 engines or if the Airbus A350 will crush the 787. I give it to page 5.

If it's inevitable, then let's just cut to the chase:
The 747 now only makes sense for cargo and will soon disappear, forget the A350 and 787 debate: the future is the 777-X with it's folding composite wing - this will be the most efficient airplane per passenger mile ever constructed, and lacks a viable competitor from airbus
https://www.boeing.com/777x/reveal/video-777x-Folding-Wingtip/

Annnnywhooo, I just think its nice for Kendall Sq. to showcase a diverse portfolio of engineering companies: biotech, software, aerospace. Seriously, find another square mile in the world that does that with the impact that Kendall does...

The 747's future is in doubt, as is the A380. Four-engine jetliners might end up being phased out, except for freight. The 787 & 737 both are Boeing best-selling planes.

280', basically very close to the height of the Marriott and 88 Ames.

Any thoughts on merging with the "MIT East Campus - Kendall Square Gateway | Cambridge" thread?

Any thoughts on merging with the "MIT East Campus - Kendall Square Gateway | Cambridge" thread?

Individual buildings should always have their own specific thread when they begin construction. This is an appropriate individual building thread.

Individual buildings should always have their own specific thread when they begin construction. This is an appropriate individual building thread.

Agreed, especially as this is a substantial building (17 floors, 250'). I think the combined threads are fine in parallel for strategic planning discussion centered on clusters of projects, and, of course, for neighborhood infill...but I'm a fan of branching to the building-specific threads when substantive projects begin.

A request was made to split this off with this morning's lease news:

http://news.mit.edu/2018/boeing-kendall-square-initiative-first-major-tenant-0801

MIT-Boeing-314-Main-02.jpg

Basement construction has begun. Vertical construction in Fall 2018. Occupancy in 2020. 17 floors, 250'.

Last edited:

Usually I would agree, but the as a practical matter are we going to cross post in the two current threads (Are there 4 threads for all 4 buildings currently under construction?)

The site plan for this project is a 5+ building project plus nearly 2 acres of campus landscaping with buildings 1,3,4 and 5 currently under construction:

m8cmashwecilohs6jizw

Usually I would agree, but the as a practical matter are we going to cross post in the two current threads (Are there 4 threads for all 4 buildings currently under construction?)

The site plan for this project is a 5+ building project plus nearly 2 acres of campus landscaping with buildings 1,3,4 and 5 currently under construction:

Why would we need to cross post? Think of it like the Seaport: it's all one master plan, but each project has a different thread even though many are being constructed simultaneously (though some with different developers).

Agreed, especially as this is a substantial building (17 floors, 250').

We figured out that this one is 280'. Pretty much every building proposed in the area is quoted without the mechanical penthouse/crown height at the top.

sgBqFLzl.jpg

MIT Museum, Building 4 and Courtyard taken 11/15

Back