MIT Officer Collier Memorial | MIT | Cambridge

Completely agreed. It's really the hardscape that is the issue, not the fact that it's excessive memorializing. A tranquil sitting garden on that hardscape would be a much better tribute rather than bizarre holey walls and slab seats. No one wants to sit on a stone seat.

Data -- you've got your wish in Medford -- the memorial to Krystal Campbell and the other victims of the Tsarnaevs will be a garden next to Medford Senior Center

http://www.medfordma.org/2015/02/27/krystle-campbell-peace-garden-fundraiser-march-12/
Krystle Campbell Peace Garden Fundraiser March 12

Posted on February 27, 2015
Mayor Michael J. McGlynn today announced that the City of Medford has reached its goal of $1.128 million to construct the Krystle Campbell Peace Garden.

“The Krystle Campbell Peace Garden will honor the victims of the 2013 Boston Marathon Bombings- Medford native Krystle Campbell, Lingzi Lu, Martin Richard and Officer Sean Collier- as well as all the survivors injured during the bombings. The Krystle Campbell Peace Garden will be a peaceful and passive park for all to reflect, relax and to enjoy,” said Mayor McGlynn.

garden1.jpg

Does the Collier Memorial look at all like the Davis Square traffic sign in plan to anyone else but me?

cca

Ps. I guess its missing a leg.

1220-500h.jpg

mit-collier-memorial-artist-rendition-01_0.jpg

Whoa. I didn't even know this was under construction.

Cold, sterile and uninviting. Good job MIT. Nothing says a memorial celebrating someone's life like a large dead space.

What are those metal studs embedded in the ground? Anti-skateboarding texture? The memorial text in Braille?

I think it looks pretty cool/interesting.

Guess it wouldn't be aB though if nobody bitched.

Cold, sterile and uninviting. Good job MIT. Nothing says a memorial celebrating someone's life like a large dead space.

I haven't actually been there yet so can't critique fairly, but there is not necessarily anything wrong with a minimalist contemplative space as opposed to a place to have a party, considering the history of what happened there.

That said, I did walk by it a block away on Main St and it seemed underwhelming from a distance, but I won't judge till I actually visit up close.

I haven't seen it in person but the photo offers some sense of what the architect intended. For me it appears to be a three-dimensional cross-roads at the nexus of pathways, inviting introspection. Sometimes less is more, and a rest for the eyes and a lack of sense-stimulation allows for greater inner contemplation, even if for a moment. It appears not to be a gathering space, which is a good thing, for those who wish a moment of solitude to rest and remember. This can be good for the soul.

Passed by it today and I thought it worked pretty well in person.

New article from MIT News on the design process and construction.

https://newsoffice.mit.edu/2015/sean-collier-memorial-design-0428

Eventually the form took shape: five radial walls that could be interpreted as a hand, but that would also create separate spaces. The empty space in the middle is in the precise shape of one specific stone — from a cairn built in tribute to Collier by MIT’s Outing Club, a hiking group of which Collier was a vital part.

Back