MIT SoMa Building 2 | 200 Main Street | Kendall Square

Exactly. I really like the big modern New England university style buildings. At least we'll have the pictures as head into the next era.

Is this replacing the Eastgate Student Housing tower? Darn, I really liked that building...

It is, IMO, a serious shame that they didn't renovate and expand the building into mixed use rather than completely tear it down.

The concrete structure didn’t support renovation for state of the art building systems. It was simpler to start over.

The concrete structure didn’t support renovation for state of the art building systems. It was simpler to start over.
Didn't they just renovate the affordable housing at around 270 Green st a few years ago? That was completely concrete.

Green St is a much larger footprint than Eastgate, so they had more room to work with.

It must of been really bad inside. Even a complete redo/reimagined first 5 floors with a reclad crown would of made more sense to me, ala the courthouse.

Indeed it was bad on the inside. I visited many friends there during grad school. It had 7’ ceilings.

WMBR antenna is now gone:

ega1.jpg

A nice write-up and image gallery about this project and Kendall Sq in general in the Boston Biz Journal: (apologies if you don’t have access) https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/...-tower-will-be-demolished-in-mit.html?ana=maz

Here’s a cool Birdseye view of the area I’ve never seen before from the article:

View attachment 20816

It's the current view on google maps 3d! They just zoomed in and took a screen shot.

Losing Cambridge's best proportioned tower for something that looks straight out of North Point is a tough pill to swallow. Luckily we'll be able to forget about it within a couple years once MXD and Volpe get those 400'+ residentials into the sky. Cambridge's future is extremely bright, but the next year or so is going to be a real visual downer over there (add in the height reduction of Middlesex Courthouse where that no longer stands out from the crowd either).

Back