MIT SoMa Building 2 | 200 Main Street | Kendall Square

Is there a reason why there is such an overhang and the building does not go down to the ground level? It seems like a lost opportunity for for square footage in favor of some architectural move, unless there is some hidden constraint that prevents them from doing it.

Is there a reason why there is such an overhang and the building does not go down to the ground level? It seems like a lost opportunity for for square footage in favor of some architectural move, unless there is some hidden constraint that prevents them from doing it.

I think Cambridge has certain requirements around the footprints of buildings only taking up a certain % of the site with the other % going toward public/green space. Cantilevers might be something of a loophole if that’s the case.

Daylight shining through the top couple of levels. Hate to say it but she's on her way down, folks.

ksg-st2-22.jpg

I think I count at least 5 levels (maybe more?) demo'd off of the top of the old Eastgate tower by this point (7/16). At center-right:

Way more than five levels. Looks like close to half of the building is gone. It used to be nearly the height of Site 4, the tallest building in this picture.

Way more than five levels. Looks like close to half of the building is gone. It used to be nearly the height of Site 4, the tallest building in this picture.

Yeah, you're definitely right that it's more than 5, but I'd been hesitant to overestimate because viewing angles and relative proximities can make this sort of thing really tough to judge. That said, here's the view from Main St. yesterday (7/19) and a lot has definitely come down. After a slow start with the demo, they seem to have found their groove now and this is coming down rather quickly at this point:

mtksqg-st2-7.jpg

Is there anything left of Eastgate at this point?

Back