Mixed Use Complex | 345 Harrison Ave | South End

Reaction score
Developers have filed formal plans to construct apartments and retail space in a section of the South End that has become a hot spot for redevelopment.

The applicants, listed officially as F8345 Harrison Owner LLC, would build two multi-family apartment buildings featuring shops on the ground floors at the site of Graybar Electric on Harrison Avenue, according to documents filed with the Boston Redevelopment Authority.

The project would include approximately 560 rental units in 515,000 square feet as well as 30,000 square feet of retail space.

http://bostonherald.com/business/bu...ed_at_graybar_site_with_560_apartments_on_tap

Re: 560 apartments on tap for South End

Rather surprising how quickly things are changing on Harrison and Albany.

This is one reason why nothing is happening on this end of the Pike though: there's plenty of big industrial blocks rotting away, still. Once they're built out, we'll maybe see something. Right about the same time we start redeveloping Newmarket (yep, long time away).

Great! But these developers need to lobby the city to do something with the Pine Street Inn... this is NOT a good a part of town at night and I would be hesitant to buy anything with that place two blocks away.

Great! But these developers need to lobby the city to do something with the Pine Street Inn... this is NOT a good a part of town at night and I would be hesitant to buy anything with that place two blocks away.

What would you suggest be done with the Pine Street Inn?

What would you suggest be done with the Pine Street Inn?

Not going to happen, but: Figure out a way to merge it with St. Francis House, thus eliminating another problem spot, and then move the merged organizations operations out into a new building in the former CSX yard in Allston.

I don't have a good solution, but something is going to need to be done to make this area viable for decent redevelopment. Nothing kills interest in an area like worrying about being mugged on your way back to the apartment.

... then move the merged organizations operations out into a new building in the former CSX yard in Allston.

Fucking thanks, because Allston doesn't already have enough issues with arsonists, overcrowded residences, littering, loitering, homelessness, and a population that enjoys trashing the town.

The only thing that keeps Allston relatively safe is that its mostly people of about the same age and social status, so most trouble is limited to bros chest thumping in the street, or vandalism. Essentially its the same thing that keeps the ghettos dangerous, but inverse (because Allston gets about the same care from the city as the H block).

The south end is the ideal place to put a home for those needing help and recovering from issues. Its a positive environment, has residents that will observe, report, and not tolerate negative behavior, has mostly high end liquor stores/bars (no nips/single cans/40s I imagine), and has decent access (better than Allston) to jobs downtown. As far as I'm aware, facilities such as the pine street inn throw out people if they cause problems, as long as they are made aware. The only non-resolvable issue with it being there I can see is having to see "those people" in your neighborhood.

*waits for the syringes in the park and pee in the alleys obligatory retort*

Oh yes, god forbid people who live in luxury apartments in the city have to deal with, you know, the elements of the city. </eyeroll>

The bums in Central Square haven't stopped anyone from paying multiple millions of dollars for houses just blocks away. If the homeless have a major depressing effect on home prices then I shudder to think what a Victorian on Inman Street would go for if they ever cleaned up the square.

There are apartment lofts and condos even closer to Pine Street Inn (than where this building will be) commanding impressive rents ($3200 for 2 bedroom), and rising. Restaurants, within a stone’s throw, packed every weekend night.

Not to mention this building will come online after Ink Block, the 2 building development by the medieval manner and the office building next door at Washington and E. Berkeley. This will be a completely different neighborhood.

I attend most of the police meetings for D4 area and the Pine St Inn is a huge problem for that neighborhood. I was told that many of the people who move into that area move away very quickly. A lot of drug dealing comes from that Pine St Inn.

I live close to another Pine St Inn building on Washington St (the one with the unsolved murder) and I've seen people come out of the building, make a drug deal and then go back inside the Pine St Inn. The Pine St Inn could do a lot more to clean up their act.

Looks like site prep is under way for the first building.

Two words: Buyer beware.

People said no one would move to TriBeCa, SoHo, LES, Hell's Kitchen, Harlem, etc. at various times in the last 30-40 years here in NYC and look what happened. In 10 years, I am sure we will barely remember these concerns and the neighborhood will be super-expensive like the rest of the South End.

Re: 345 Harrison Avenue

^^ Great grab. Original thread is titled "560 Apartments on tap for Southend", but I like your title better.

Last edited:
Re: 345 Harrison Avenue

Kind of a mess but also could be kind of awesome. Looks like the highest point of the sloped roof will rise to ~175' but most of it will top out around 14 floors/150'. Very ambitious!

This project, with 560 apartments plus 30,000 sq. ft. of retail in a very stylish building, looks like a winner for the city. Combined with hundreds more residential units in the Ink Block (another good looking development) and this area gains 1031 new units of badly needed housing for the city not to mention all the new retail space.

^^ Don't forget the 400 housing units at the 275 Albany site, which is only a block away. Grand total 1400+ units.

This pretty much hits the all the marks for good urbanism. The only real criticism is that overall it feels heavy. There's a lot going on to the point of overload. Simplifying would be a good thing here.

Back