Mixed Use | Wharf 8 & Pier 7 | Seaport

goldenretrievers

Reaction score
Wharf 8 & Pier 7

ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND INDUSTRIAL CORPORATION OF BOSTON JUNE 15, 2017 BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING

http://www.arrowstreet.com/portfolio/wharf-8-pier-7/

site

Harborlights envisions a venue that will quickly become a landmark Boston attraction for residents, visiting conventioneers, and tourists alike. This new and critical source of year-round programmed activity, while attracting large audiences and spawning success for the venue itself, will also make an important contribution to the commercial and cultural fabric of the surrounding area. The development will include a water-transportation hub that will improve public transit options and connectivity. Harborlights facilities and spaces will be available during scheduled daytime hours for harbor-focused youth environmental education programs and related maritime uses, including a home for a non-profit entity dedicated to research and development of sustainable fisheries practices. The project also proposes to extend the Harborwalk to a floating park at the end of the former pier. A docking facility, located between the water-transportation hub and the floating park, will help to meet the demand for boat docking space on Boston Harbor.

Mayor-Walsh-BRA-Audit-Non-Revenue-Producing-Land-Parcels-630x565.png

Wow about time that debacle of a pier gets developed! I always thought putting a driving range into a net facing the water (or Top Golf) would be cool, but that's a biased opinion.

But the remainder of the pier remains undeveloped?

This isn't a redevelopment of the dry dock pier (dry dock #4, that is). This is a new mostly-floating structure between Legal Sea Foods and the Blue Hills Bank Pavilion. Perhaps one segment closest to the Pavilion is on that pier, the rest looks to be floating. No change to the dry dock.

I'm not crazy about these structures. It's so not Boston's character.

These renderings remind me if they upgraded Logan Airport's terminal structure.
This is how it would look.

Between Seaport Square, M, and now this, Seaport will finally have a variety of architecture. This will help mix up the heights and (hopefully) be a fun spot to go. Awesome development - let's hope this isn't ve'ed to death

Steps that proceed down and into the water. And a ramp into the water, as well. Wonder why Pier 4 didn't consider this? Think it's a wonderful idea.

Hold everything here!

This is solely an extension of the designation given to Madison a few years ago to develop this project, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the proposals shown above by Harborlights, they were one of the losing bidders.

Is this so? Are there other renderings or none? (the above was all I could find)

If this thread is unfounded, mods please delete.

Disappointed if this isn't real. Such a shame this just sits there (along with the rest of the marine park).

Disappointed if this isn't real. Such a shame this just sits there (along with the rest of the marine park).

Speaking of marine park with its large expanse of nothing - I presume it's constrained by the requirement of marine related business only.
What about try to move Coast Guard there from North End?
The North End one is a prime parcel and Coast Guard is a maritime use.
All we need to do is convince feds...

^ just because something is designated as a certain type of "business only" doesn't mean it can't be / shouldn't be surrounded by public space, green / trees, shoreline access (where possible)...

sure, there would need to be some restricted areas, but this is no different than anything else...the Fed tower downtown has public park space all around it despite the fact that it is heavily fortified/secure access only/etc...

There's still way too much wasteland in the seaport that needs to be converted to higher quality space, regardless of the use-type

Isn't the drydock still used occasionally? I may be getting it confused with another one

^ Dry dock number 3 gets used all the time. Drydock number 4 never gets used.

Mayor-Walsh-BRA-Audit-Non-Revenue-Producing-Land-Parcels-630x565.png

^ Dry dock number 3 gets used all the time. Drydock number 4 never gets used.

When I went by dry dock 3 about two weeks ago, there was a US Navy Hospital ship in there undergoing repairs. Still there as far as I know.

Back