Mmmm... Pizza (Discuss Your Favorite Slice)

M.Morgan11

Reaction score
[Mod Edit: Posts from here]

Does anyone know what will happen to Sal's Pizza?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully die? 5 bucks plus tax for a slice of mediocre pizza... I understand they have to pay rent in the city but it just such a rip

Was just in NYC and stayed in midtown. There were at least 5 shops selling $.99 pizza slices that were actually pretty decent. Hard to believe that can't exist in Boston

The best affordable slices I can think of are Harvard House of Pizza (Greek, Cambridge), Angelina's (Italian, Somerville), and Pinocchio's (Sicilian, Cambridge). Anything in Boston proper?

Regarding Sal's, it's pretty mediocre but I don't think it's too big of a ripoff considering how enormous the slices are (from what I can remember, it's been a while since I ate at one).

The best affordable slices I can think of are Harvard House of Pizza (Greek, Cambridge), Angelina's (Italian, Somerville), and Pinocchio's (Sicilian, Cambridge). Anything in Boston proper?

Regarding Sal's, it's pretty mediocre but I don't think it's too big of a ripoff considering how enormous the slices are (from what I can remember, it's been a while since I ate at one).
I think for how big the slices are, NY Pizza on Tremont/Mass Ave is 'affordable', even with toppings.

Was just in NYC and stayed in midtown. There were at least 5 shops selling $.99 pizza slices that were actually pretty decent. Hard to believe that can't exist in Boston

NY isn't about hot dogs anymore. It's all about dollar pizza now. I've lived off that shit when times were tough.

NY isn't about hot dogs anymore. It's all about dollar pizza now. I've lived off that shit when times were tough.
The 1974 McAnn’s 50 cent Knick draft beer and free reheated meatballs were a better deal.

love the buff chick slices at Cappys, Il Mondo, and Crispy Dough.

You can also still get a beer, shot and personal pizza for $5 in Manhattan
Those places must operate on razer thin margins but get away with it due to volume. Boston isn't crowded enough to keep a $1 slice operation in business.

There are some bars in Fanuel that offer "happy hour" deals. The Point in Fanuel has "happy hour" deals that are always available any day of the week and any time of day. I walked by the other day and saw $3 coors and bud light deals. Same with Hennessey's. I got Coors light bottles for $3 but most of the places that offer those are pretty gross.

There are some bars who've figured a way around the "Happy Hour" ban by offering $5 monthly cocktail specials. Earls in Somerville and back bay have this offering available. I'm actually surprised more bars and restaurants don't offer this.

I haven’t lived in central/southern Connecticut for 20 years. And I still desperately yearn for the pizza there.

It wasn't great pizza per se, but Giga's got me through some late nights at BU. $5 would get you two giant slices and a soda till 4 am. The landlord tripled the rent in 2013, and now the spot is occupied by a mediocre fusion place that closes at 9.

When I lived in NYC, I thought the dollar slices were usually terrible.

To be honest, in some ways I thought NYC pizza was overrated. Most places were just mediocre, but when you found a good one, it was better than anywhere else in the country (except New Haven). I think NYC has a reputation for such good pizza because you can get them anywhere.

As for Boston area slices, I'll go out to the suburbs to say that Giovanni's pizza is actually very good.

As I'm currently a Kuala Lumpur resident, if you ever make it to this side of the world, I"d suggest Mikey's NY Pizza http://mikeyspizza.com.my/

Are we not mentioning Regina's because it's generally understood to be the best pizza in Boston or are we doing the hipster, nose-in-air, "Askually, Regina's is very over-rated" thing?

I'll admit the the chain pizza isn't as good as the original location stuff but it's still a lot better than ever other chain pizza and the original location is still the best pizza in Boston.

I'll also give a shout out to Tony's in West Roxbury as one of my personal favs and say that I think the pizza from the Pleasant in Rozzie gets way too much love. (Though the Pleasant itself is a very cool place, the entire menu kinda sucks).

I find Regina's sauce to be to grassy-sugary (somehow both too fresh and over-sweet). But this, I will concede, is a matter of taste in a Dunkin-vs-Starbucks coffee or those crazy-color Mexican sodas in a "to each their own" way.

I liked Ernesto's on Salem St in the north end (at busy times, when they're making it, not just re-warming slices. Rewarmed it is never better than mediocre). I'll admit I haven't been there in something like 3 years, though.

What I really want to know is where the different doughs come from and who uses which supplier.

Badly managed Sabatino's Italian Kitchen (Brighton, Waltham) had was I think is some of the best dough and I'd be interested what others think of their pizza.

Last edited:
Are we not mentioning Regina's because it's generally understood to be the best pizza in Boston or are we doing the hipster, nose-in-air, "Askually, Regina's is very over-rated" thing?

I'll admit the the chain pizza isn't as good as the original location stuff but it's still a lot better than ever other chain pizza and the original location is still the best pizza in Boston.

I'll also give a shout out to Tony's in West Roxbury as one of my personal favs and say that I think the pizza from the Pleasant in Rozzie gets way too much love. (Though the Pleasant itself is a very cool place, the entire menu kinda sucks).

Regina is great, so are Santarpio's and the Pleasant (you are totally wrong about their pie and other menu offerings). But I think the issue is that these are singular places against dozens of mediocre places. The contrast with New York is two fold:
  1. You can expect to easily find a $1 slice there
  2. You can expect to easily find a quality slice there
These two things don't generally overlap, but are both widely available in New York, whereas here, the $1 slice is almost non-existent, and the quality slice is only in a few places. To the three I listed above, I'd add New York Pizza (Columbus/Mass Ave. location is better than Tremont St.), and La Mama in Allston.

Back