Moon Island/ Long Island road

Personally I think they should run the road all the way across the islands to the Brewster islands, fill them in to one big one, have a container yard. Keep the LNG storage tanks out there, etc... Maybe parallel some rail along the road, but that would probably the most expensive part in comparison to benefits.

You know, a massive expensive project like that to make us the best port in the east for European imports.

Besides pretending to be homeless, you can get out there if you make a big enough of a stink with the health department. I pestered them in the late 1990's and they let me go out there on a Saturday to take pictures. No government worker wants to be bothered so, call them up, call every other day until they give in. You own the island just as much as the City does.

there used to be little yellow signs with simple black letters that said " Back the B.B."

I remember those signs well. There used to be one hanging from the bridge right next to graffiti that reads "No Nukes! '88" Someone walked to the middle of the bridge and climbed down through the steel to leave us that pearl of wisdom. That might be my favorite bit of graffiti in Greater Boston. You can still see it if you take the commuter boat into town from Hingham and I think from Quincy too.

You know, a massive expensive project like that to make us the best port in the east for European imports.

Obviously that was in jest but Boston will never be a player in the shipping world.

My wife, native New Yorker, and I were driving in the South End (Harrison Avenue, I think) when we encountered a bus with a "Long Island" sign. I had to explain that our Long Island was not the same as her Lon Gyland.

Ablarc & John:

The solution to running a democratic drunk asylum is to build a vineyard and allow the 'residents' to cultivate their own alcohol on site. They'll never leave of their own accord.

Our Chelsea is different than NY's too. Although there has been some gentrifying there also.

Sell some of the land to developers and make them build a new bridge, and make them pay to relocate BFD training acadamy and Boston Health Buildings.

I wonder if the old Boston Sewage drains pits can be built on or if they are off limits due to enviromental issues.

The City of Quincy would object (and probably be successful) to any developement that increased traffic to moon or long island.

Bridge is looking a tad rusty

IMG_0136-1.jpg

IMG_0137-1.jpg

IMG_0138-1.jpg

Hold old is it? I'm going to take a guess that the only reason it was built was because of the previous military presence. I wonder if it will be fully replaced or if a ferry will take over. I don't see a bridge replacement being worth the cost.

Hold old is it? I'm going to take a guess that the only reason it was built was because of the previous military presence. I wonder if it will be fully replaced or if a ferry will take over. I don't see a bridge replacement being worth the cost.

If we had built it out of stone, like the romans, it would be good for another 2,000 years :(

If we had built it out of stone, like the romans, it would be good for another 2,000 years :(

No it wouldn't. It'd get weathered and battered by the storms along with the steel bridges.

The bridge is so bad the city had to buy a secondhand 30 year old ladder truck and a specially designed fire engine to provide fire protection to the shelter on the island. If there ever was a fire on the island they can only have the first eight firefighters or so respond directly to the fire from Dorchester via Quincy, every other firefighter has to respond via the fireboats from downtown.

No it wouldn't. It'd get weathered and battered by the storms along with the steel bridges.

The bridge is so bad the city had to buy a secondhand 30 year old ladder truck and a specially designed fire engine to provide fire protection to the shelter on the island. If there ever was a fire on the island they can only have the first eight firefighters or so respond directly to the fire from Dorchester via Quincy, every other firefighter has to respond via the fireboats from downtown.

Yeah, the bridge is so bad that the city put their homeless shelter out there, and resists all suggestions to move it to the mainland. I used to drive out there to do birdwatching in the 1970s. When they first shut down access, they claimed that it was because the grounds weren't safe for public access due to construction rubble, etc. Then, the story changed to the bridge - which they are happy to drive homeless people across.

This is a grotesque misuse of that island. One of the standard lines you see repeated about the harbor islands is that in the bad old days, the islands were where they sent society's undesirables. It's always written in a head-nodding, we're so much better than that now way. And every day, they bus homeless people to Long Island, and isn't it wonderful.

Yeah, the bridge is so bad that the city put their homeless shelter out there, and resists all suggestions to move it to the mainland. I used to drive out there to do birdwatching in the 1970s. When they first shut down access, they claimed that it was because the grounds weren't safe for public access due to construction rubble, etc. Then, the story changed to the bridge - which they are happy to drive homeless people across.

This is a grotesque misuse of that island. One of the standard lines you see repeated about the harbor islands is that in the bad old days, the islands were where they sent society's undesirables. It's always written in a head-nodding, we're so much better than that now way. And every day, they bus homeless people to Long Island, and isn't it wonderful.

When the bridge collapses or has a major accident due to wear and tear they will take notice and bluster that it's a tragedy...but we know the truth.

There was some talk in the Globe about parts of the island being opened up for public use now that the National Park Service owns the lighthouse on the northern tip of the island. How they actually do this is going to be up in the air, but even if they can't get people on from the bridge possible they could do ferry service.

By Google maps, that bridge looks to be about 3,000 feet. Easily $100 million plus to replace it.

There was some talk in the Globe about parts of the island being opened up for public use now that the National Park Service owns the lighthouse on the northern tip of the island. How they actually do this is going to be up in the air, but even if they can't get people on from the bridge possible they could do ferry service.

Well, hundreds of summer camp kids enjoy that part of the island every summer.

They should open up the old fort and hospital to tours. Could be our alcatraz.

Well, hundreds of summer camp kids enjoy that part of the island every summer.

They should open up the old fort and hospital to tours. Could be our alcatraz.

Summer camp kids staying there isn't the same as the general public getting access...

We had our Alcatraz- Deer Island's house of correction. Or at least we did until the MWRA demolished everything on the island. We have something along your line of thinking already with Georges Island.

I get your idea though, frankly I do not see why they don't block off the federal portion from the city portion by wall or fence- those are the parts people want to see, not the hospital area. The fort is the atrraction, especially with the views of the city and harbor.

I think after Shutter Island, hospital tours could bring in big bucks.

Back