Moon Island/ Long Island road

Doubt it ... nothing particularly interesting out there anyways. Moon has the Boston Fire Academy which is essentially a parking lot with a big training tower and a firetruck graveyard of sorts and Long has a homeless shelter and the remnants of a sanatorium for the indigent.

you can't access that road but there's an old deserted beach(Nickerson beach/Chapple rock) and cliff area right before you get to the gate, park in the lot walk thru the woods then down to the rocky beach great shots of Boston,good place for dogs/wildlife
053-13.jpg
144-4.jpg

yes but theres a parking area about 300 ft before the gate the park its open to the public there's an old monument up in the woods and old small lighthouse type tower and what looks to be some old swings ect near the beach,very cool place

Thanks for the info, I think one of these islands could be turned into something really cool, a resort/nightlife/residential thing w/ a water shuttle right to downtown and fort point chanel.

The road is not open to the public. The bridge is in bad condition, to the point where MBTA buses are limited to 10 mph and (I think) have to run with only partial loads.

At some point they'll probably tear down the bridge and replace it with a ferry. I can't see the bridge's rehab being funded with so many other pressing infrastructure projects.

I think one of these islands could be turned into something really cool, a resort/nightlife/residential thing w/ a water shuttle right to downtown and fort point chanel.

Cool to dream, but for economic, climate, and perhaps most importantly of all enviornmental reasons (Harbor Islands are a protected national park) Boston Harbor won't be looking like Miami's maritime surrounds anytime soon.

Is there still a large homeless shelter on Long Island?

Yes - there are special MBTA bus runs from the South End for the homeless to spend the night there.

...there are special MBTA bus runs from the South End for the homeless to spend the night there.
Why bother to shuttle them back and forth to the South End? Why not just let them stay on the island all day? With a soup kitchen, serve them donated food for probably less than the cost of running the bus; and everyone would be living in an impoverished seaside resort no worse than you'd find on the Andaman Islands or some places in the South Pacific. If the island was dry, the homeless would have no place to drink, and they may take an interest in the computers and library that should also be part of this deal. Like Damian's Molokai without the leprosy; could be worse.

^ Your proposal for a "dry" homeless gulag is entertaining if not mildly totalitarian.

I hope you are kidding. That would, of course, make them prisoners.

Wow I did'nt realize there were so many buildings out there,are they all old and gothic or mixed with typical Mass bland brick 60's crap? Here's a bridge pix from yesterday from Logan,was'nt there once a proposal to fix this bridge and build others thru the harbor instead of the big dig for a much lower cost? there used to be little yellow signs with simple black letters that said " Back the B.B."
204-3.jpg

^ Your proposal for a "dry" homeless gulag is entertaining if not mildly totalitarian.
They can leave any time they want.

What's totalitarian about giving them a warm bed and square meals?

Oh, I see ... would you like to throw in a daily flask? OK by me.

Now what's totalitarian?

Back