Move from new to existing devs

I'm going to rename the "New Development" forum to simply "Development" and it will contain all the project threads. I'll add a status designation to end of each thread title in brackets will specify the project's phase of development ([proposed], [under construction], [completed] [cancelled]). The "existing Development" forum will be renamed something like "Boston Architecture and Urbanism" but will otherwise remain unchanged.

Does anyone have any reason why this should not be done or any thoughts on this?

Love it! Thanks briv :)

Maybe instead of adding the project's status to the title we could instead use a special icon or a simple color to indicate the project's status? This might be a little easier.

Any icon ideas?

Yes, get a naked man with an erection and have it keep growing until the project is complete.

^ Does he cum at the grand opening?

I would suggest some sort of "red tape" for a proposed project, a crane for under construction and fireworks for a completed structure.

So vanshnookenraggen, you wanna wake the fuck up and maybe have a conversation about where stuff belongs? Like I said, considering the base of the Kensington was JUST BARELY FINISHED and it's not even opened up I think it's stupid for it to be in the existing section. Come on dude, don't be a lazy bastard.

PS I'm not going to shut up until some sense is made of this.

Sounds like somebody wants to become another meaningless mod.

If it meant helping straighten things out then I would've been game, but no need for that any more :)

I like the addition of the color icons for projects. Very nice.
If I can give my two cents, it would be cool if we could have a standard for thread titles. For example:

Name | Height | Floor Count | Status

Yes, I stole that from another site, but I like it when looking at projects. Just summarizes what it is in an easy to follow format.

Again, just my two cents.

^ Would be hard to keep up with given all the changes to projects that occur in the planning process.

Fair enough. I just look at some of the thread titles, like "New building proposed for Newbury Street" and think there could be a better, more standard way of thread titles.
That title means nothing. However, if it was more like "4-6 Newbury St | 65Ft | 5-7Fl | Proposed", makes it a little more descriptive.

Would it be too difficult to make this standard? Briv, are you the only one who can modify a thread title once created?

I also like the new feature. It would be great if we could create seperate sections for the buildings at fan pier, seaport, pier 4, since those projects are technically under construction, but because they focus on the larger project there is no status.

I also like the new feature. It would be great if we could create seperate sections for the buildings at fan pier, seaport, pier 4, since those projects are technically under construction, but because they focus on the larger project there is no status.

Which raises the question as to whether each project, be it a 600' tower or a small infill project, should get its own thread.

I for one would support a move to that. While it would clutter things up a bit and make the forum move faster, I think it would also allow for more conversation. Specifically in the "cambridge developments" thread, there are a dozen or so really big buildings going up and yet very little conversation. To a lesser extent its an issue in the a/b developments thread too, especially when mt vernon was putting up a new building every few months. The southie developments thread is a bit of a disaster too.

It would also be really helpful for archival purposes as well, along with a more coherant naming scheme.

RE: thread names, I think the projects name, if it has one, and address should be the thread title. I don't think height/floors is really important, especially since given our permitting process it changes a lot. If anything neighborhood / development is more relevant. So for example if the fan pier projects were to be split up, it would be 120 Northern Ave | Vertex Building @ Fan Pier | Seaport, or 20 Guest St | New Balance Headquarters @ Boston Landing | Brighton. That would also make searches awesome, you could run a titles search for "allston" and see everything that is, was, and might be built.

^I really like that naming scheme a lot. The only change I would make is putting the project name first. I think it would be great for to adopt it for the development forum. Does anyone have any other thoughts on this?

Also, going through the threads to categorize them I realized what a mess some of them are. I was never a fan of the big catchall neighborhood threads. I think they're good for general impressions of the area as a whole, but they always end up becoming dumping grounds for any everything big or small in the area. The neighborhood threads are also good for small infill projects that wouldn't necessarily warrant their own threads. BeeLine's South Boston updates come to mind as the sort of stuff that would fit into a "[neighborhood] Infill" thread. We'd probably need to define what sort of a project warrants in own thread and what belongs in a general infill thread.

I'm going to begin going through the threads and attempt to clean them up a bit by removing the big project's from the catchall neighborhood threads.

Would it be too difficult to make this standard? Briv, are you the only one who can modify a thread title once created?

The other mods can change the thread titles as well.

Which raises the question as to whether each project, be it a 600' tower or a small infill project, should get its own thread.

I for one would support a move to that. While it would clutter things up a bit and make the forum move faster, I think it would also allow for more conversation. Specifically in the "cambridge developments" thread, there are a dozen or so really big buildings going up and yet very little conversation. To a lesser extent its an issue in the a/b developments thread too, especially when mt vernon was putting up a new building every few months. The southie developments thread is a bit of a disaster too.

It would also be really helpful for archival purposes as well, along with a more coherant naming scheme.

RE: thread names, I think the projects name, if it has one, and address should be the thread title. I don't think height/floors is really important, especially since given our permitting process it changes a lot. If anything neighborhood / development is more relevant. So for example if the fan pier projects were to be split up, it would be 120 Northern Ave | Vertex Building @ Fan Pier | Seaport, or 20 Guest St | New Balance Headquarters @ Boston Landing | Brighton. That would also make searches awesome, you could run a titles search for "allston" and see everything that is, was, and might be built.

Putting the large project in parenthesis like Vertex Building (Fan Pier) would work. I like the Idea of breaking it up especially for projects with multiple stages.

^I really like that naming scheme a lot. The only change I would make is putting the project name first. I think it would be great for to adopt it for the development forum. Does anyone have any other thoughts on this?

Agreed, it would make searches MUCH easier too.

Also, going through the threads to categorize them I realized what a mess some of them are. I was never a fan of the big catchall neighborhood threads. I think they're good for general impressions of the area as a whole, but they always end up becoming dumping grounds for any everything big or small in the area. The neighborhood threads are also good for small infill projects that wouldn't necessarily warrant their own threads. BeeLine's South Boston updates come to mind as the sort of stuff that would fit into a "[neighborhood] Infill" thread. We'd probably need to define what sort of a project warrants in own thread and what belongs in a general infill thread.

Agreed on this as well. The Cambridge, Somerille, Brighton, Southie, etc., threads could be renamed "[Neighborhood] Infill Projects" for small-ish residential/commercial infill. Not sure what the upper limit on that should be.

I'm going to begin going through the threads and attempt to clean them up a bit by removing the big project's from the catchall neighborhood threads.

uglaOex.jpg

I think keeping the neighborhood threads for small infill projects is good but larger projects warrant their own threads. The Cambridge thread drives me crazy. A lot of the big project go unnoticed as they're mixed in with much smaller projects.

Agree on everything so far.

I would say the upper limit on project size to need its own thread should be the size of a triple decker for residential, or a quick check for commercial. Anything requiring pile driving, slurry/sheet walls, a core, more then two cars worth of indoor parking, or more then a single steel beam should get its own thread. I know it seems slightly low, but anything more then that could quickly get out of hand.

As examples I know: the renovation of the verizon warehouse into the ceramics lab, or the four unit house they are building on Murdock St should be in the developments thread, but 379 Market St or the proposal for the car free building in Union Square get their own. New Balance/Boston Landing obviously does, and the buildings are of such substance they may even require individual threads of their own.

Obviously if something's on the fence it could go in the general thread, and then get split out later. But that should be avoided as much as possible.

As far as splitting up existing threads, perhaps you should temporarily "deputize" some not-really-mods to help with the task, who then go back to being regular users after. I for one do NOT volunteer for that, it sounds terrible, put perhaps some would.

Briv, I just made these for you...

I propose we use a relatively similar scheme to Emporis with a slight change (U/C):

bluesm_zpsecd170db.png
- Proposed
yellowsm_zpsc964adfa.png
- U/C
greensm_zps42f49ee2.png
- Completed
redsm_zps45a56aa3.png
- Cancelled

Last edited:

Back