Moving to PDX...

kingofsheeba

Reaction score
Hey gang,

So, I just went through a painful divorce and I'm on the verge of striking out on my own. But I'm thinking Portland because I have heard so many good things from people who have moved there. In fact, I'm growing a long beard right now.

I'm just getting sick of Boston. It's not that I don't like the city, but after my wife left me for some douche, I just need a change of scenery. And yes, I know that people will say "don't run from your problems, cowards do that." But I need a break. I need to travel the country. I just turned thirty, so there's a lot to see.

Anyways, I work in audio and in radio broadcasting (production). I have a potential opportunity for work in my field out there. My price range is between $40,000-$50,000. If anyone has experience living out there (housing, rent, neighborhoods, people), I'll be happy to take any responses.

Thank you.

This comparison should help you. Portland's cost of living is indeed rising from the influx of people like yourself, but it is far below Boston's. You should be able to have a nice quality of life out there.

Consumer Prices in Portland, OR are 20.93% lower than in Boston, MA
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Portland, OR are 29.63% lower than in Boston, MA
Rent Prices in Portland, OR are 41.95% lower than in Boston, MA
Restaurant Prices in Portland, OR are 21.43% lower than in Boston, MA
Groceries Prices in Portland, OR are 27.03% lower than in Boston, MA
Local Purchasing Power in Portland, OR is 4.59% higher than in Boston, MA

Full breakdown:
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...ed+States&city1=Boston,+MA&city2=Portland,+OR

Boston > PDX

I rarely say this, but Pits is right. In some objective senses, BOS > PDX.

It's not to say that Portland is terrible or anything, but Boston is more economically and culturally influential city. On the alpha/beta/gamma world cities scale, Boston is Alpha- and PDX is Gamma-. That is a pretty big difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

Boston shows up on a lot of those global significant ranking lists. Portland is mentioned once in that whole article.

Global power ranking or whatever aren't everything though. Actually, unless you are actively involved in the economic and cultural elite of Boston, then you probably won't notice the difference much.

I know a lot of people who like Portland. If you have any inclination towards hipsterdom, localism, the sharing economy, cycling, and/or general outdoorsy things then I'm sure you'll enjoy Portland. If you are annoyed by the bearded and tattooed, then you may find yourself annoyed a lot. If you have friends there and like what they have to say about the place, then I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new.

Good luck with with everything. A change of scene can be a great thing.

We should be thankful that the coin flip resulted in 'Portland' or else this thread would be very confusing.

After viewing that intro picture in the Boston Magazine article I'd be scared to go to Portland, OR.

I rarely say this, but Pits is right. In some objective senses, BOS > PDX.

It's not to say that Portland is terrible or anything, but Boston is more economically and culturally influential city. On the alpha/beta/gamma world cities scale, Boston is Alpha- and PDX is Gamma-. That is a pretty big difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

Boston shows up on a lot of those global significant ranking lists. Portland is mentioned once in that whole article.

Global power ranking or whatever aren't everything though. Actually, unless you are actively involved in the economic and cultural elite of Boston, then you probably won't notice the difference much.

I know a lot of people who like Portland. If you have any inclination towards hipsterdom, localism, the sharing economy, cycling, and/or general outdoorsy things then I'm sure you'll enjoy Portland. If you are annoyed by the bearded and tattooed, then you may find yourself annoyed a lot. If you have friends there and like what they have to say about the place, then I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new.

Good luck with with everything. A change of scene can be a great thing.
For me, it's not a definite thing. I also have an opportunity to check out the entire Left Coast (aside from Seattle), and if it's not my thing, I come back to Northern New York State where I am originally from.

Boston seems so...And how can I put it without being wicked rude...Elitist. If you don't have a fancy, schmansy degree from a top tier school, then it's almost hard to get a job. I was fortunate to know a few people where I worked in PR for a 501c3 for six years and that's how I met my soon to be ex. Anyways, I'm also trying to get away from the pretentiousness and negativity of this town. It's nothing personal. It's just time for a change.

But thank you guys oh so much for the responses.

For me, it's not a definite thing. I also have an opportunity to check out the entire Left Coast (aside from Seattle), and if it's not my thing, I come back to Northern New York State where I am originally from.

Boston seems so...And how can I put it without being wicked rude...Elitist. If you don't have a fancy, schmansy degree from a top tier school, then it's almost hard to get a job. I was fortunate to know a few people where I worked in PR for a 501c3 for six years and that's how I met my soon to be ex. Anyways, I'm also trying to get away from the pretentiousness and negativity of this town. It's nothing personal. It's just time for a change.

But thank you guys oh so much for the responses.

You will definitely find the opposite attitude in Portland. A friend of mine from Long Island moved out there a couple years ago and I just asked her if she had any advice for you.

"I think the thing I had to get used to the most was that people were so friendly. Like, complete strangers would talk to you and be so kind. It weirded me out at first because I have the NYC mindset so deeply engrained. I was walking down the street after having gone for a few beers with my friends visiting from NYC and we walked past a house where 7 guys were just standing in a circle talking. I took this as an opportunity to show them how it was here and I said a big hello. All of them turned around and said hello in a very animated way like it was the norm."

I'm sure Oregon is similar to where I grew up smack dab in the middle of the country - you'll likely find people more friendly to strangers in public settings compared to Boston. However, once you get to know people a bit better, e.g., colleagues at work etc. I find the regional differences start to break down.

One thing I have heard about Portland is that the economy is not a dynamic as a larger place like Boston and the employment situation can be a bit rough. On the other hand, the cost of living is more reasonable so maybe that mitigates the situation.

You will definitely find the opposite attitude in Portland. A friend of mine from Long Island moved out there a couple years ago and I just asked her if she had any advice for you.

"I think the thing I had to get used to the most was that people were so friendly. Like, complete strangers would talk to you and be so kind. It weirded me out at first because I have the NYC mindset so deeply engrained. I was walking down the street after having gone for a few beers with my friends visiting from NYC and we walked past a house where 7 guys were just standing in a circle talking. I took this as an opportunity to show them how it was here and I said a big hello. All of them turned around and said hello in a very animated way like it was the norm."
Perfect. Yea, I have to find an alternative to people who don't have the "I'm better than you" attitude. Thank you though. I appreciate this.

Why was my thread locked? I really am moving to Chicago on Friday!!!!

Chicago = Boston

Back