Multi-Family Zoning Requirements for MBTA Communities

Look at who was there

75570390007-middleboro-town-october-7-2024-3.JPG

Only 3 people in the crowd without grey hair. For many different reasons the people who will be affected the most by this were not there. Most probably didnt even know it was happening. Its unfortunate.

Look at who was there

75570390007-middleboro-town-october-7-2024-3.JPG

Only 3 people in the crowd without grey hair. For many different reasons the people who will be affected the most by this were not there. Most probably didnt even know it was happening. Its unfortunate.
That’s a whole lot of prejudice to assume that grey haired people = against the MBTA Communities Act. Neither you nor I know the motivations of those who were in attendance unless they expressed an opinion. You certainly wouldn’t make the same prejudgment and sweep a broad brush if the crowd was mostly Black, Asian, Female, etc. Please be better than this.

Getting on to the subject at hand, the argument that gets me annoyed by the detractors is that there are only costs associated with the law. Yet what is not mentioned is that those costs (police, fire, school, water, sewer, etc.) will be offset (partially or fully) by the new revenue generated by additional households created, mostly through property taxes but also vehicle excise taxes generated directly from the additional residential development. Also the marginal cost of providing these additional services should be less than that of an equivalent SFH given that development will be focused on increasing density near the town center vs in a cul-de-sac on the outskirts of town (which other analyses of Middleborough have shown it to be primarily this development type since WWII - see Garrett Dash Nelson recently in Commonwealth Magazine). Using data from the MA Division of Local Services, an increase of 1,000 residents to Middleborough would (by the average) create 406 new households and generate $2.0-2.5 million in accretive property taxes. The largest budget expense is schools at approx. $40 million, then outside of general fixed expenses ($18 million), it’s police ($6 million), and fire ($4 million). I have no clue if the marginal cost of an additional 406 households would be more or less or equal to the revenue generated via local taxes, but it’s disingenuous to claim only costs not offset by revenues.

Neither you nor I know the motivations of those who were in attendance unless they expressed an opinion.

-Umm first off, yes we do, right from the article I responded to:

“The response of “No” couldn’t have been shouted any louder from the quorum of Middleboro residents proclaiming they don’t want to be forced to comply with a state mandate that, local officials said, will increase housing production to an unsustainable level for the town.

Middleboro residents voted down an article at the special Town Meeting on Monday, Oct. 7 that, if passed, would have created a new 50-plus acre zoning district intended for an increase of several thousand more multi-family housing units.”

-Second off the actual point I was making wasnt even really about them, it was that it is unfortunate that the demographic of people who are least likely to own a home and will be affected the most by this law are not showing up to community meetings. “For many different reasons the people who will be affected the most by this were not there. Most probably didnt even know it was happening. Its unfortunate.” I think that we need to find a way to change this because it is well known that community meetings in massachusetts are not working as a way to be representative of the greater city/town population as a whole. Dont take my word for it MIT did a study on this exact situation:

“Findings indicate attendants to town meetings are more likely to be older, white, married, to work as municipal employees, and to be homeowners compared to the population at large. Conditional on owning a home, attendants’ housing wealth is evenly distributed. Sixty percent of meeting attendees report having been present to the last five consecutive annual assemblies. This group of pivotal, faithful voters—representing only 1.2 percent of a town’s adult population on average—has resided in town for 30 years, 12 years longer than occasional voters. Meeting regulars are more likely to participate in civic organizations, town committees, and volunteering activities. We conclude that older, married, locally-rooted, civically-minded homeowners who have known each other for a long time bear more power in municipalities where recurrent public meetings are used for
municipal decision-making.”
MIT study

-So according to the article that said that the very people who were there “could not be more against it” and studies done on this exact phenomenon in massachusetts that show that older, whiter, married, homeowners tend to be the only ones who routinely show up to community meetings in order to block housing, I think that this is a problem that needs to be addressed. I dont see how you can try to say I’m being discriminatory when I’m trying to say that community meetings need to be more representative of people from all different age groups and backgrounds, but do you.

The taxpayers should be expected to remain silent so others can have a say? That doesn't exactly make sense. Seems, if people care, and they have an interest, they show up and if they don't, they don't.

The taxpayers should be expected to remain silent so others can have a say? That doesn't exactly make sense. Seems, if people care, and they have an interest, they show up and if they don't, they don't.
I would not ask them to remain silent, but in voicing their opinions, I would ask them to consider that many of the beneficiaries of the new zoning law are literally not invited to the meeting because...
  • They would love to be a contributing member of the town, but they can't afford to live there yet.
  • They live in a different part of the state, so they don't get a vote here, but they are affected by the MA housing shortage all the same.
  • They are kids, or they aren't born yet. Future generations are extra hosed by housing unaffordability.

Okay Millennial

EDIT: Ironic sarcasm

Last edited:
I guess Middleboro will miss out on the opportunity for state grants & maybe the T should just cut service there too?

Success stories include Lexington, one of the first two communities to achieve compliance with the MBTA Communities Act.

The town “really wanted new housing to be in desirable locations, so near retail and civic services, near places that could help support businesses,” Planning Director Abby McCabe said, adding, “We weren’t looking for isolated locations on the edge of town.”

Lexington has seen seven applications for new developments under its MBTA Communities zoning, for a combined total of 960 proposed housing units. The town’s Planning Board has so far approved two of those projects.
Proponents of the MBTA law notched another victory last month in Westwood, where Petruzziello Properties began construction on The Block, a 160-unit mixed-use development to be located on a former industrial site near the commuter rail’s Islington Station. Approved in 2023, The Block is Westwood’s first development under its MBTA Communities zoning.

“In addition to creating 160 housing units, The Block at 22 Everett included many community-driven ‘firsts’ for the Town and paved the way for a much-needed clean-up of the site,” Westwood Housing & Land Use Planner Amanda Wolfe explained in an email interview.

Wolfe said the development will not only offer three-bedroom units, micro transit, and a fully accessible public playground, but it’ll also have the first units in Westwood available to households earning no more than 60% of the area median income — an even more affordable price point than the 80% AMI the zoning bylaw requires for a certain percentage of units.

I guess Middleboro will miss out on the opportunity for state grants & maybe the T should just cut service there too?
As much as I want to see the state come down hard on them, I don't think cutting T service would be productive. "Oh, so you want to be a car-dependent exurb? Then we're going to take away your rail service! Take that!"

In addition to the obvious barriers to this type of community engagement for many different affected groups…
(Almost) everyone pays income and sales taxes. Renters pay property taxes indirectly through rent. Please clarify who exactly you mean by “taxpayers”.

As much as I want to see the state come down hard on them, I don't think cutting T service would be productive. "Oh, so you want to be a car-dependent exurb? Then we're going to take away your rail service! Take that!"
Agreed. A lot of suburbanites wouldn't care about losing transit service in their town if it would get them out of complying with the MBTA Communities Act.

Agreed. A lot of suburbanites wouldn't care about losing transit service in their town if it would get them out of complying with the MBTA Communities Act.
It would be a return to the paleolithic-era MBTA district, where communities outside of slightly beyond Route 128 had to self-subsidize their commuter rail stops. In the 1960's and 1970's you had pretty much YEARLY schedule changes with dropped or re-picked-up stops, service truncations and restorations. Because every boom or recession, every annual town budget shortfall or surplus...immediately affected service. It was pure chaos, and the Legislature had to rewrite the funding mechanisms for Commuter Rail to bring a measure of stability to the game. We still have stops that went the way of town-level cuts which have not been restored to this day.

Definitely not something to aspire to as the "stick" to the carrots with this Act.

Attorney General Andrea Campbell’s suit to force Milton to comply with its obligations under the law turns in part on who gets to make the rules about how Massachusetts tries to address a crippling housing crisis. Lawmakers say they thought they were being clear at the time that they wanted the AG to have that authority – to give the law “teeth.”

I'm thinking this is more of the "play stupid games....." kind of State gamesmanship.

So, what is stopping the legislature from passing a law that has teeth?

Back