Museum of Fine Arts Developments | Fenway

It would seem crazy for the MFA to sell the Forsyth to NU after the lease expires. Where else could the MFA expand?

It would seem crazy for the MFA to sell the Forsyth to NU after the lease expires. Where else could the MFA expand?

They could continue building the MFA Master Plan. The current Foster wing is only 1/3 of the plan. Its supposed to be mirrored on the other side (and filled in the middle on the Fenway side). For some reason, we have a massive detailed scale model of the MFA master plan in the Wentworth Arch Dept.

Last edited:
They could continue building the MFA Master Plan. The current Foster wing is only 1/3 of the plan. Its supposed to be mirrored on the other side (and filled in the middle on the Fenway side). For some reason, we have a massive detailed scale model of the MFA master plan in the Wentworth Arch Dept.

Any chance you can snap and share a picture(s) of it for us, please?

Yes, please.
The only "master plan" I have seen is one they have displayed in an exhibit in a hallway off the visitors' center, and it does not suggest any expansion of the main building (it does include Forsyth, however).
When you say "mirrored on the other side" do you mean in the parking lot between the Pei extension and the School of the MFA? "Filled in the middle on the Fenway side"--not sure what that means. Can you tell me which Wentworth building the Arch department is in?...I can stroll over and see for myself. Thanks.

From walking by the building most of the lab renovations are being done on the older/mfa-inspired half. $4-$6M is a significant amount of money for a cash-poor school to do renovations on a building that they now have less than 10 years on the lease.

Also if anyone is interested MFA paid $60M in 2007 for the building.

Yes, please.
The only "master plan" I have seen is one they have displayed in an exhibit in a hallway off the visitors' center, and it does not suggest any expansion of the main building (it does include Forsyth, however).
When you say "mirrored on the other side" do you mean in the parking lot between the Pei extension and the School of the MFA? "Filled in the middle on the Fenway side"--not sure what that means. Can you tell me which Wentworth building the Arch department is in?...I can stroll over and see for myself. Thanks.

If I remember correctly, the Pei wing isn't shown at all. Maybe they were fantasizing about tearing it down? There's just another Foster box on the other end. I'm on co-op this semester, but I'll go find out where they have it now. Last I remember, it was in a studio hallway (behind a keycarded door), but I think they moved it to the foyer.

With this said, the reason Wentworth has this model could be because the MFA threw it (being the plan) to the curb. Annex North (ANXNO) houses the Dept of Arch.

Here's a rendering of master plan model posted in the original MFA thread:
MFA-rend0.jpg

Compared with what's pretty much there now:
mfa5.jpg

Thanks Briv! That's exactly what the model shows!

That model was on display in the Pei wing for several years. My guess is the MFA lent or gave it to Wentworth at some point.

Bernie Madoff and the economic downturn put the brakes on the next phases of the MFA expansion. The MFA probably hopes that the success of the new wing will eventually attract patrons to fund the remaining phases.

Why does the current model shows trees on the parking lot?

Why does the current model shows trees on the parking lot?

If you visti the MFA and look at the way that the old lot is now landscaped -- there are vegetated islands and peninsulae -- eventually some of the smallish trees that have been planed may grow to significant scale

By the way there is an exhibit at the MFA on the MFA and its history -- through next summer

Anyway it includes several renderings -- and I don't recall that any showed the west side glass box -- but several show the Forsyth

"As part of celebrating the renovation and re-opening of the State Street Corporation Fenway Entrance, this exhibition tells the story of the Museum's history, its architecture, and its vital role as a community resource and partner.

Rarely seen historic photographs, paintings, sculpture, archival documents, and architectural fragments bring the long and distinguished history of the MFA to life for a new generation. The exhibition, on view in the Lower Hemicycle, opens with the founding of the MFA in 1870 and documents the first Museum building in Copley Square, as well as the many expansions and renovations to the Museum's present home on Huntington Avenue, which opened in 1909. It also explores current and future building plans, including the transformative project underway now and the recent acquisition of the Forsyth Institute building."

As datadyne007 says, the expanded model seems not to show the Pei wing at all and yet that model obviously had the Foster addition in mind so it can't pre-date the Pei. Seems unlikely they would tear down the Pei section, however, so that's a bit of a mystery.

PS. interesting that the Foster addition went light instead of dark as earlier models had it. I much prefer the light.

A quick Google search reveals...

The 1981 I.M. Pei-designed West Wing, a bland, blank gray box that many also consider an eyesore, will be camouflaged by the new enclosed court.
Source

I.M. Pei has not seen Norman Foster's design for a new Museum of Fine Arts, but the designer of the MFA's 1981 west wing promises that when he does, he won't come down with architect envy.

Pei, reached in New York yesterday, said that he supports whatever the MFA does. That's even if the west wing, which has served as the museum's most popular entrance since its opening, is no longer a dominant feature. Foster's "crystal spine" design, unveiled as part of the MFA's new master plan yesterday, will eventually enclose large portions of the existing museum in glass - including Pei's architectural contribution.
Source

The Pei (West) wing is really not his best. It's certainly no East Wing of the National Gallery of Art (1978).

As much as I love Pei, I really would not miss it.

I agree, but it would surprise me that they would be so cavalier in covering up/demolishing what must have been a very expensive addition by a major architect. It seems if it's that disposable, it's a sad commentary on MFA planners.

I agree, but it would surprise me that they would be so cavalier in covering up/demolishing what must have been a very expensive addition by a major architect. It seems if it's that disposable, it's a sad commentary on MFA planners.
Honestly I think it is a sad commentary on the vision the MFA planners had. I understand it's supposed to be a minimalist intervention by not interfering or competing with the original architecture of the Museum, but there is absolutely no variation in form at all. It's a solid granite box with a skylight that looks like it could have come from South Shore Plaza. It puzzles me how they actually approved that design and didn't ask for more. At that time, his East Wing was being broadcast all over the architecture world.

I think you may have answered your own question. They wanted his name on it and that was what he gave them.

Online Twitter chat w/ Malcolm Rogers, @mfaboston, 4-5pm today, Friday.

Saw the new Linde wing over the weekend. I have to say that it was a little disappointing. Some great pieces, but not very nice space at all. I think the Art of the Americas wing raised the bar in terms of architectural space for art, and the Linde does not even attempt to compete. As others have noted, the Pei box doesn't exactly inspire and maybe curators' options were limited, but it looks they were going for a "drywalled gymnasium" aesthetic. One might say that contemporary art is best suited to an unadorned box, but the finishes could nevertheless be higher end. It really does not look like it is part of the MFA.

The other problem I have with this wing is the number of pieces they are cramming in to the space. Lots of the wall pieces are large and there's quite a bit of sculpture, both of which need some visual isolation and that just isn't happening--there's always something else (and sometimes many something elses) floating in your peripheral vision. The gallery overlooking the courtyard looks like the museum shop it used to be, only the bric-brac shoved into the display cases is art rather than tea cozies. Very dissatisfying as an experience.

Again, I think the Art of Americas wing really set the bar high in terms of quality space and the Linde wing seems amateurish in comparision. Some really good pieces, but not a place for contemplation or engagement.

Back