Museum Of Science Renovations | 1 Science Park | West End

Re: Museum Of Science Renovation/ Addition

If there was ever a place in Boston for a starchitect designed building, this is it. The one we have now looks like the cheap high schools they built in the 1950s to handle all the baby boomers.

Think Bilobao on the Charles.

took this today as part of a larger pix!(see crane pix thread) zoomed and cropped from highway in Somerville
0055.jpg

Totally non-renovation related comment: I think that Globe article sort of disproves its own thesis there at the end. The point is that sometimes kids don't need to be horrifically overstimulated to enjoy themselves. My favorite memory from the science museum is that fascinating plinko-style board in Mathematica. I think that hasn't been changed since the 1950s. The exhibit of machines in the basement as well.

I do think, however, the appeal of the Big Dig exhibit has run its course (is it still there?). Having a fully interactive exhibit on the construction of the TWT 15 years after it was opened, and still calling it "cutting edge?" Help.

Yep, IBM Mathematica is still there and still very popular. It was designed by famous architects Charles and Ray Eames. There's no need to update it. I saw another 'copy' of it at the (Chicago) Museum of Science and Industry when I was quite young.

I think it may need some touching up. The last time was there I seem to remember a few of the displays being a bit threadbare, if not completely broken.

By the way, my favorite Science museum exhibit ever is the giant model train layout at the aforementioned Museum of Science and Industry. Now, if they can build a starchitect building with a giant glass atrium which they fill with a huge train set like that, I'll buy a membership.

I also tend to like the current building in an ugly-retro sort of way. It could definitely have been a lot worse. The new additions seem to do a decent job, but they look kind of chunky. Maybe a recladding in portions would help...

Ooh, and 100th post! (sorry, please forgive me).

Today

4352045601_091343b86e_b.jpg

Black and white reveals that the building on the left has Deco elements of massing --like a V.A. hospital-- and believes in windows as openings in planes. The two buildings at right with the gable roofs are hopelessly amateurish.

You needed a B&W shot to show you that? I thought it was fairly obvious.

I really like that building from afar, but I fear the ground level probably doesn't live up to potential.

Never saw that building with my own eyes. Black and white makes it easier to concentrate on form; no static from the color. But basically I'm thick. :)

It about the best possible way to build a landscraper/Boston stump.

Also, there is a picture floating around somewhere on the forum of the crown lit up at night. They did a nice job.

Ablarc, it's impressively girthy in real life. You can see it all the way down Cambridge St. from the Harvard campus overpass.

And at the Museum of Science?s annual Gala yesterday, it announced a new capital campaign to raise $250 million ? the largest fundraising effort in the 180 years the museum has been around.
?We have made spectacular progress,? says Ioannis Miaoulis, the Museum of Science?s president and director. ?Together with our benefactors and strategic partners we will realize our vision and reach the broadest possible audience with exciting programs, timely exhibits, and bold initiatives that attract and engage area residents as well as people around the world.?
The campaign will fund the Museum of Science?s plans to:
Transform its exhibits and galleries to tell the story of the natural and designed worlds and their extraordinary connections (Green Wing highlighting the natural world and Blue Wing, the engineered one);
Update and transform its public spaces and amenities, focusing on sustainable systems and materials without enlarging the Museum?s footprint;
Champion the growing integration of engineering into curricula, forming partnerships with museums throughout the world enabling visitors to connect with their counterparts in other countries;
Develop an expanded role for science centers worldwide as conveners of forums on critical issues that involve citizen discussion and deliberation to inform science and technology policy;
Maximize use of technology to enhance the onsite and online educational experience with media-rich, personalized interactions.
The museum says more information will be available about the campaign and its goals this summer. Make sure to follow them on Twitter @museumofscience.

http://bostinnovation.com/2011/04/1...tal-campaign-business-wire/?ref=curate&buid=0

Sorry to see that a new building is not in the works. This one is just so sad and ignorable. Given Boston's association with science, technology and education you'd think that one of the world's best and architecturally significant science musuems would be here. You'd be wrong.

My bet is that they end up using most of the money to expand such dazzling science projects as "Harry Potter" and "the history of baseball". #sourgrapes

Meanwhile, Miami moves forward with its museum, another Herzog design for the city, inspired by the Hanging Gardens of Babylon:
Miami-Museum-Park.jpg

When did Boston become so painfully boring?

^^^ Wrong museum. that's the art museum, not the science museum.

MiaSci-Approach-fr6B3AD6.jpg

Nicholas Grimshaw is the architect.

Oh, and generously financed by a $175 million voter-approved bond, voted seven years ago and before the Great Recession hit Florida particularly hard.

Back