Music: Like Architecture but sounds better.

Re: South Boston Seaport

Post-Katrina and post-Recession, New Orleans has kept my doors [barely] open. Visiting on business impresses me that there is exactly NO vitality left in this place since the recent disaster. I've never encountered such a passel of conservative hangdogs as the ones who keep anything from happening there --architectural, musical or cultural-- and my clients are all black.

Having been to New Orleans many times post-Katrina (just after and then again in 08) I can happily disagree with your assessment.

I'll second the above comment. I'll be heading back to New Orleans in a month and I can't wait because it is such a vibrant and engaging city. Just because its not how you remember doesn't means its devoid of culture or vitality. You may just have to look in new places.

Lets divide the two camps for the sake of agreement. New Orleans has had the greatest impact on American music styles, blues/jazz etc.

Vienna has had the greatest impact on European music, classical.

American styles and their offspring now dominate popular music most everywhere. Here is my bias. I've taken music courses, I can appreciate classical but hell give me a back-beat. Classical can be beautiful but ultimately I find it boring. As a result my opinion of what city's impact on music should be given more value is skewed towards New Orleans.

In conclusion, why does the greatest musical legacy have to come from Europe? Seems like a rather conservative opinion.

Last edited:

You are missing the point. This is not a jazz vs classical discussion (or rather, it shouldn't be). It's a discussion about a lack of historical understanding.

This whole conversation probably needs to be moved out of this thread.

As I see it, somebody mentions rather innocuously that he thinks New Orleans has contributed the most to music worldwide and hey, "if you haven't gone... go." Now seeing as we're on the internet where everyone has to be a critic, and it?s rare to find a sense of humor, someone has to chime in with, "um Vienna". As in, don?t you know? So yeah, duh the home of classical music, the city that gave us titans like Beethoven and Mozart surely Vienna is the place. Well two rational minds can disagree so maybe it might be good to find some point of agreement. But agreement can be hard to find at a discussion board such as this.

Blues, gospel and later jazz were created by combining, African and Christian spirituality, with the pentatonic scale found in many folk traditions, with African syncopated rhythms, and hollers that were sung by slaves while they worked in the field. Besides certain instruments, European arrangements seem to have had a very limited impact at the early genesis of jazz because its focus on free improvisation.

Furthermore I would argue that as far as musical styles which are still evolving and popular today, the classical musical tradition has very little impact on the actual sound of the music. I?ll concede, of course, the rich legacy it has in producing the structure and foundation upon which music is built.

In the end most music heritage had more to do with the people than the cities. The latter is just an accident of geography.

Last edited:

I've often suggested that these two creative disciplines are correlative.

At KU, M.Arch students are required to take a variety of music courses because of the similarities between how music is made and how buildings are made, from the initial conception to the final production. At least, that's what the Associate Dean told me.

Nothing in the U.S. has had significant impact, artistic or otherwise, without owing some portion of the credit to another culture. Ours is simply an amalgamation of elements of other cultures that are coherent with our values.

Writing:Music::Dancing:Architecture

Of course that's not the exact quote, but you get the idea.

Boston Rap: "21 Crank dat (Packard remix)" by mc DJ

Free download off of Childish Gambino's blog, in the music section, off the album "mc DJ presents; FUCK YASELVES!"

The verse, not too deep but comical nonetheless:

If Lil? Wayne is Lebron, and Jay-Z is Jordan, then I?m something like 12th man on the Warriors, not that important-barely even in the game, so when I make this rap shit I use my full name, that?s N-i- to the c-k, P-a- to the c-k-a-r-d lets get started, rip it up retahded, where I?m from we ain?t crunk; we get wicked pissa, drink Sam Adams for lunch, spend the whole day drunk. That?s how we do it in the Bean, where right-wing Republicans are few and far between, you know what I mean man we're liberal as fuck, let you marry ya sister and have sex with a duck, but we?ll tax you like a buck on some fifty cent gum, ?cause we support the homeless and the poor where I?m from; that?s Boston, Mass. where we?ll stomp your ass if you talk about our city like it?s not first class, and houses of glass shouldn?t have thrown that first stone, and my state house has a big gold dome, and I know I?m home when there?s 25 letters-some people say ?r? but we know its much betta when you pahk ya cah look up at the stahs get smashed on PBR in a Charleston bah or watch the Red Sox, Celtics, or the Patriots play and every few months we have another parade. Some people might say, ?but the weather is shitty.? Man, shut the fuck up, you love my city.

Holy crap, 'mc DJ' is one of many aliases of Donald Glover, the dude who plays Troy on "Community"

Yeah, he also writes for 30 Rock. He's trying to get signed. But, he's not the one who's from Boston-that's Nick Packard, as noted in his little verse.

Back