Music: Like Architecture but sounds better.

GW2500

Reaction score
Free piece of advice for all of you, if you haven't gone to New Orleans go. It's impact on music is greater than any other city in the world.

Re: South Boston Seaport

Um, Vienna?

^Does that figure include the large areas of the city undeveloped due to swampland?

Landsat_new_orleans_nfl.jpg

Only a small portion of the city limits is undeveloped, but almost all of the city outside of downtown is low density single story buildings on medium-sized lots.

Is Vienna in regards to musical impact?

That came to my mind as well as musically more influential than the Big Easy.

Maybe, but how often does the world listen to rock, blues, soul, jazz, r and b, funk, pop, or hip hop. All of which have a blues/jazz based origin. And how often does the world listen to castrated boys.

Thanks Lurker and Folky -- I was going to mention Vienna as well, but was afraid of being outed as an "elitist" or "intellectual."

I'm sure Vienna has nice musical buildings, but the second the sound that New Orleans was pumping out went over to Europe, Europe became obsessed with it. Instantly every bar, brothel, saloon, and hole in the wall was playing it. They couldn't get those musicians over to Europe fast enough. The same cannot be said about Vienna's music. Much like technology, the last 120 years of music has been the most profound, influential and diverse. And it has been America (more than any one other country) leading the way this whole time. And New Orleans being the source more than any one other city. I mean Louis Armstrong and his impact to popular forms of music is all I should really have to say. PLease understand most people listen to syncopated music and Vienna can't dance.

Also Statler instead of putting a hand to your face, how about a finger in your ass and we call it even.

Is a concert hall or jazz club planned for the South Boston Seaport? If not, I don't know why you're talking about this here.

Ron, if I can venture an explanation:

Seaport infrastructure improvements --> Boston tourism --> Baltimore tourism --> Baltimore sucks --> European tourists like dense cities --> List of dense US cities --> New Orleans density --> New Orleans music --> Hells no, Vienna music! --> Male castrata --> Take a music course at BHCC, buddy.

Vienna can't dance.

Someone had better tell Johann Strauss.

Has it occurred to you that the musical craft and tradition that was established in Europe in 1790 may have had had some effect on the music-making in the Mississippi Delta in 1890?

New Orleans has been described to me by a friend who's a native as a "cultural gumbo." If this analogy can be extended to its music, then Vienna (and the rest of Europe) sent the shrimp.

Someone had better tell Johann Strauss.

+Mozart
+Hayden
+Beethoven
+Schubert

But we really should get back to badmouthing Baltimore . . . Wasn't there one of the worst modern epidemics of syphilis there?

John Straus: He composed over 500 waltzes, polkas, quadrilles. Yea dude now those styles are really shaking. And I'm well aware that it required cultural diversity to create the sounds that came out of the Delta. FAR MORE of the influence is African (rhythm) than European, but yes it definatley required a melting pot. But where did the forge happen? Not tight but holed Vienna, but loose and free New Orleans, the big easy.

Mozart and all those guys were brilliant, no doubt. But those guys didn't make a song bounce, skip, hop and just have a fun with the rhythm. If they heard jazz and blues, it would have turned theyre world upside down. Because it did things so much more simple in some regards, but so brilliant and undeniable at the same time. Jazz and blues revolutionized music, classical is a very pretty, but it's just a style.

And you can have your BHCC classes I went to Berklee.

Oi vey. Almost as bad as debating politics, religion, or what makes good architecture. Musical tastes are subjective and everything is an opinion. It is impossible for an opinion to be incorrect. It also (much like good versus bad architecture) cannot be taught in a classroom. Learning music in a class is a lot like learning english in a class. Over the last 100 years really a standardized, acceptable way of speaking and writing in english has been set forth by "scholars". These same scholars will tell you how to spell and punctuate while also telling you how great Shakespeare was, when he couldn't spell or construct a sentence worth a shit. Subjective. Much like knowing the difference between doric or ionic columns is going to help you design good architecture.

Almost as bad as debating politics, religion, or what makes good architecture.

I've often suggested that these two creative disciplines are correlative.

I was listening to this on the way into the office today. Am I wrong to think of Hip Hop in the context of Post-Modernism?

We got off on this tangent because there was some questioning about the value of New Orleans as a vital urban space, and as a treasured cultural artifact. Though I haven't visited NOLA in over 20 years, I think it's both.

We got off on this tangent because there was some questioning about the value of New Orleans as a vital urban space, and as a treasured cultural artifact. Though I haven't visited NOLA in over 20 years, I think it's both.
Post-Katrina and post-Recession, New Orleans has kept my doors [barely] open. Visiting on business impresses me that there is exactly NO vitality left in this place since the recent disaster. I've never encountered such a passel of conservative hangdogs as the ones who keep anything from happening there --architectural, musical or cultural-- and my clients are all black.

If you want to play the influence game, then no one can deny that pop music today is just a bastardized amalgamation of soul/gospel/rock/funk/R&B, all of which trace directly back to jazz and blues.

I'm no musicologist, but I can't for the life of me hear any strong connection between a Mozart and a Blind Lemon Jefferson. And as GW pointed out, Africa never gets enough props. I would grant that the spiritual element found in the early blues must have come from the music of the Christian church..."influence" if you want to call it that.

Back