SUPERCEDED MXD | Kendall Square

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the interlocking move takes this from a building that wouldn't even register to one that makes some people say, "oh, huh."

The official concept plan amendment proposal has been posted. As noted in the separate thread for 325 Main, the actual amendment concerns that site. However, there's a lot of updated information for the project as a whole:

Summary of the four sites - http://www.cambridgema.gov/~/media/...15_appnarrative_mxdamdnt1b_20180906.pdf?la=en

Design guidelines - http://www.cambridgema.gov/~/media/...315/sp315_dg_mxdamdnt_pt10_20180906.pdf?la=en

In a different PDF, the schedule is laid out: 325 Main is planned to break ground in 2019, with Residential Building South (395' according to the elevations) breaking ground in 2020. That building will also be very prominent - 100' taller than 145 Broadway, which is surprisingly large in the skyline. It will also be the tallest building in Cambridge until the Volpe site is developed.

How were they able to get approval for such a tall residential tower, and why don't we see more of this scale around Kendall?

How were they able to get approval for such a tall residential tower, and why don't we see more of this scale around Kendall?

We're starting to, but I think the building heights at Kendall have been set for a while. Boston Properties negotiated FARs and heights for the MXD master plan as a whole. MIT did the same for Volpe and East Campus. I don't think there are any surprises coming. < 400' at MXD, then < 600' at Volpe, and then that's it.

I suppose its possible that Constellation Center or something gets proposed as a one-off with some height, but there really aren't many developers at work in Kendall. It's BXP, MIT, and Alexandria.

Was the 34 story building always in the original plan or is this something new? Kind of slick to just drop that nugget in at the end.

According to page 76 in the first link Equilibria posted above, this was 33 occupiable floors plus 3 mech. So if they are making any changes it's only by 1 floor.

We could be seeing an example of how doing "something" simply for the sake of doing SOMETHING–can backfire.

A lot of thought needs to go in.

Tropes are not good. Tropes done poorly are worse. Tropes done poorly on a budget are horrible. I think this one falls in the middle.

cca

This is surprisingly very visible from the pike when entering the Allston yards area. Especially if you get off the exit to Cambridge on the left. I was surprised at just how much it sticks up above everything else and stands out in the area. I never would have thought... Pretty cool! Im not a huge fan of this when looking at the corner with the staggered boxes, but the rest of its faces look fine. The sides that dont have any of that stuff going on look good, especially with the deep blue facade. Cant wait until part 2 comes along it looks significantly taller and should be much more noticeable. Looks like a much sleeker design as well.

Broadway-Hero%20808x608.jpg

rw9jvygcdcsaki7rqtv8

Last edited:
The building is quintessential Kendall square isnt it?

Not making a judgement on the building itself

The building is quintessential Kendall square isnt it?

Not making a judgement on the building itself

I don't follow you. I think this building couldn't be more different from quintessential Kendall Square. It's tall. It's glass. It has about 8 balconies. It has a strong retail program. It has underground parking.

What else in Kendall has those characteristics (except maybe 2-3 building that have gone up in the past 2-3 years)?

Quintessential Kendall Square is the Akamai building across the street or the majority of the Biogen campus sharing the block. Lots of brick and paneling. Massive lobbies walled off from the public, often with planters. No retail.

I think it's Quintessential Kendall on steroids. In fact, it's essentially part of a new era where all the buildings are on PEDs (BGH ie Building Growth Hormone). It's Quintessential Kendall mainly because it's a large, hulking cube with both huge floorplates and substantial floor to ceiling heights.

We used to get these buildings at 8-12 stories, which is basically the foundation of Kendall. The new crop is more like 15-20 stories, but otherwise with similar massive massing. It's just the newest, "BEST YET!!!" version of the typical Kendall Cube.

Fine comment,

Solid counter argument.

and badass tweaked counter counter argument.

i'll just be happy if the State can allocate funding on transit and not waste taxpayer dollars while doing it.

If BNSF could just come walking through that door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back