SUPERCEDED MXD | Kendall Square

Status
Not open for further replies.
I walk by this multiple time per day and catch glimpses of it at various points on my bike commute through Cambridge and Somerville. It is, IMO, pretty much fantastic by Cambridge standards. Granted that may not be saying much, but beggars can't be choosers. This is the best thing to go up in Cambridge since... WWII maybe?

From Broadway on foot, it looks real good. The glass is a great color to catch the sky, it has verticality without looming, and isn't another fucking facade-mashup-from-hell like the Broad around the corner. From afar, instead of hiding by melting into the skyline like Proto and the Broad, it is a bright pop of color and stands out finally giving Kendall a visual marker.

....it is a bright pop of color and stands out finally giving Kendall a visual marker.

Just wait until the 2nd, notably taller tower rises and that visual marker will come more into focus.

It's Cambridge, is Kendall Square, so you want a glass cube? I like the individuality of this building, if you work for Akamai, no problem telling people how to find your building. I would love to work in this building.

Agreed, the building is fine thats the point. Nobody hates it nobody loves it. Its good enough and works for Cambridge.

^^^Supposedly after this one is finished. Doesn't that one also require some sort of demolition too?

From Chelsea, 7/28.

IMG_5805 by David Z, on Flickr

Wow DZ looks like some drier air moved in. Fantastic shots.

Save that secret spot. The residential tower will form a nice skyline piece there!

do you have a full skyline shot?

please disregard; just found it!!

Last edited:
Phase II has been changed a bit: rather than constructing the commercial building at 250 Binney St., they're now proposing to build a taller building at 325 Main St. (conceivably to accommodate Google's growth and approximately the same square footage): website and presentation.

Phase II has been changed a bit: rather than constructing the commercial building at 250 Binney St., they're now proposing to build a taller building at 325 Main St. (conceivably to accommodate Google's growth and approximately the same square footage): website and presentation.

They cut car parking by 47% and increased bike parking by 22%. I love seeing those numbers move in the right direction!

For reference, 325 Main Street is 4 stories and contains The COOP and a small, recently shuttered food court. It is literally on top of the T headhouse. Presumably Google is the tenant of the 3 floors of office, but I'm not certain.

Quick question whats the blue glass residential in Cambridge on the right of the last pic above? Up and to the right of the stadium and directly below 45 Stuart st. Looks great.

Lets see if the finished ground floor helps visually hold up whats above or not. I think it could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back