MXD II (Google Kendall) | 325 Main St. | Kendall Square | Cambridge

3/5/22

Kendall 2.jpg

Why doesn't MIT find space for the COOP somewhere on its side of Main Street?

Why doesn't MIT find space for the COOP somewhere on its side of Main Street?

Are you referring to the "COOP build out" referred to in the above CRA presentation? No idea. MIT has tons of seemingly uncommitted ground level retail space across the street. Moreover, across they went to great expense to blast out the original concrete first floors of those old industrial buildings to re-cast them flush with sidewalk level.

Are you referring to the "COOP build out" referred to in the above CRA presentation? No idea. MIT has tons of seemingly uncommitted ground level retail space across the street. Moreover, across they went to great expense to blast out the original concrete first floors of those old industrial buildings to re-cast them flush with sidewalk level.

Yeah - I don't see how it benefits MIT to have its effective school store on Broadway, completely off the beaten path for anyone visiting.

They moved the admissions department into the Main Street spaces. They moved the MIT Museum and Bookstore there. Why not the COOP?

Yeah - I don't see how it benefits MIT to have its effective school store on Broadway, completely off the beaten path for anyone visiting.

They moved the admissions department into the Main Street spaces. They moved the MIT Museum and Bookstore there. Why not the COOP?

So I actually took the above presentation to imply the COOP is moving back to the 325 Main space (where it was for 30 yrs) as part of the ground floor build-out of this building. Maybe I'm misinterpreting. See "COOP build out" on 2nd to last slide (schedule).

I agree that the present Broadway basement spot is a total shit location for the COOP, but I think Boston Properties just temporarily put them there while their original home was being torn down and rebuilt. Again, that's just how I'm reading this.

My initial response above was to agree with what I thought was your point of: why are they leasing from BXP across the street when they have acres of vacant ground floor retail of their own on the other side of Main. Part of the answer may be that the COOP isn't really MIT; rather, its a quasi independent Harvard/MIT entity and therefore they'd be leasing the space from whomever anyway.

Early morning crane scheduled for signage installation tomorrow, for those early birds on this board.

I love the darker green hue of the glass here. Also the faceted glass facade in my opinion came out really good. Cant wait to see how the area around continues to fill out and especially the beautiful new tallest residential tower with the lit crown. Cambridge is going to have a more “normal” skyline with a peak in the center of a single cluster. Nice foil to Boston across the water with its multiple skylines. Its starting to become the twin cities of new england.

I like the Logo but kinda wish the G was animated but I'm sure that would probably be distractive to drivers.

Attachments

• ezgif.com-gif-maker__1_.gif
    ezgif.com-gif-maker__1_.gif
    266.6 KB · Views: 67

Back