20191023_144705.jpg
20191024_082308.jpg
20191028_083909.jpg
20191106_081747.jpg
20191120_113623.jpg
20191122_130616.jpg
20191209_130317.jpg
20200106_082856.jpg

I walk past this everyday using Kendall Station. With the building gone, you catch this great view of the Proto between the remaining buildings. It feels much more "big city" than Kendall ever has before. Once the monster-size Google building fills in this hole, its going lose that "pop." I wish the new building would be half the width and leave this area with just a little breathing room. Oh well.

At the other end of the platform where Broad, Third, and Main meet (Kendall Square proper), the view up Third or Main streets feels more urban than ever. Broadway will come along with the Volpe redevelopment and I think finally the "square proper" will feel like part of "Kendall Square the business district."

It’s great how all the buildings are the SAME height. Very interesting.

Why is there a difference between pic 1 and pic 2? Pic 2 has a notch/dark rectangle in the top right corner on the right side of the building but pic 1 does not. I keep staring at but can't figure out if I'm just not seeing it right.

Mods -- can we do the full rewrite of the Title of this thread
Google Cambridge -- 325 Main St. Kendall Square

Google is the sole reason that this structure is being built at the scale of 400,000 sq. ft in this location
I suspect that for our growing crop of new members that the[ MXD II ] means about as much as calling MIT building E-52 of the Sloan School as the Lever Brothers Building*1. Both buildings have names with historical antecedents -- but both have new high profile names [in one case Google and in the other the Morris and Sophie Chang Building]

The original Sloan building, now christened the Morris and Sophie Chang Building after Morris Chang, SB ’52, SM ’53, ME ’55, will encompass administrative offices for many of MIT Sloan’s academic programs and student services, as well as the MIT Department of Economics and a new MIT event space, the Samberg Conference Center. Morris Chang is the founding chairman of the Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company and a life member emeritus of the MIT Corporation. He also serves on the MIT Sloan School Asian Executive Board.

The building will be officially dedicated March 3.

E52 was built in 1938 as the Massachusetts headquarters for the Lever Brothers Company, but after the soap business moved to New York in the early 1950s, the School of Industrial Management (later named the MIT Sloan School of Management) moved in.

The previously hidden crane base has been revealed after Hub Foundation removed some of its equipment.

The roof garden is also closing in April, so get your pics from there soon.

With the official groundbreaking there is new name to be associated with the building

It is now called 325 Main St. -- aka Google Kendall
from the project website

325 MAIN STREET PROJECT SUMMARY
Located in the heart of Kendall Square, 325 Main Street is the future home of a mixed-use building consisting of office space and three levels of retail/public spaces. While being fully-occupied by Google, this 16-story building will also feature a new public indoor connector at the street level and two new access points to the redesigned and reimagined rooftop garden. The project features an enhanced visual connection to the rooftop garden, as well as mezzanine spaces for additional outdoor seating and activation to complement the existing programming occurring on Kendall Plaza. Approximately 420,000 SF, this building will be complete in 4Q 2022.

Hero-View-1-Day-10.9.19-1-scaled-e1583164436897.jpg

325 MAIN CONSTRUCTION UPDATE—MARCH 2020
  • Cranes onsite end of March through beginning of April
  • Foundation work continued
    • Drilled mini piles completed
    • Drilled shafts (caissons) completed
    • Pile Caps pouring continues
  • Temporary wall construction continues in 355 Main St.
  • Main electrical infrastructure digging begins
  • Steel fabrication continues
  • Curtain Wall fabricated
  • Mechanical Skids fabricated
ROOFTOP GARDEN CLOSING—APRIL 2020
Boston Properties is excited to announce the redevelopment of the Kendall Square roof garden in conjunction with construction of the 325 Main Street building.

The existing roof garden, located on top of the Kendall Center green garage, will close in April 2020 as we begin construction of a new and enhanced public greenspace.

Upon its reopening, estimated to be Summer 2022, the new roof garden will provide additional space for community programming, public seating, public art, and more. The garden, upon completion, will be accessible to all of those who live, work and visit Kendall Square.

Kendall-Center-Rooftop-Garden-1.png

Back