MXD Residential Tower | 121 Broadway | Kendall Square

Moving along. 1/26/2023

IMG_4354.jpeg
IMG_4354.jpeg

^Thanks, Equilibria, for the great future skyline projection...

Just recapping something from a discussion in another thread for continuity purposes in this thread: the title of this thread changed to indicate "121 Broadway" instead of "135 Broadway" because the report posted above noted the change of street address assigned to this tower. Thanks also to @DZH22 who also pulled screengrab of the glitzy new skyline shot, which is also over in the old MXD-wide thread (now locked).

Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 7.38.07 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 7.38.23 AM.jpg

75%
█████████▢▢▢▢

Almost there. It's crazy how fast this has come down after watching it every day. What's more amazing is that the side on Binney St where they started (pictures from 3 weeks ago) already has most of the concrete and rebar trucked away. They are doing the same clean up to the Broadway side now. This will be down in like 7-10 days and cleared before spring.

View attachment 34435
View attachment 34436

75%
█████████▢▢▢▢

Almost there. It's crazy how fast this has come down after watching it every day. What's more amazing is that the side on Binney St where they started (pictures from 3 weeks ago) already has most of the concrete and rebar trucked away. They are doing the same clean up to the Broadway side now. This will be down in like 7-10 days and cleared before spring.
Amazing how quickly and safely it can go when you aren't on top of multiple subway tunnels...

View attachment 34393

Same angle on my running Google Earth model:

View attachment 34394

I agree with others that have complained about all the flat-topped buildings in Boston and Cambridge. The Volpe parcel rendered in this view screams out to me for a nice spire of some sort. I think it would really add to the already impressive skyline of Kendall Square. Plus it's my understanding, that we don't have the FAA issue here like most of downtown Boston and Back Bay. The Volpe Parcel tall building with a spire would be a focal point on the skyline.

I agree with others that have complained about all the flat-topped buildings in Boston and Cambridge. The Volpe parcel rendered in this view screams out to me for a nice spire of some sort. I think it would really add to the already impressive skyline of Kendall Square. Plus it's my understanding, that we don't have the FAA issue here like most of downtown Boston and Back Bay. The Volpe Parcel tall building with a spire would be a focal point on the skyline.

They (Volpe developer, MITMCo) are approved for up to 500'. That will fall in their "phase 2" and they have not yet submitted a building design. But, yes, it will be quite interesting to see what they come up with.

They (Volpe developer, MITMCo) are approved for up to 500'. That will fall in their "phase 2" and they have not yet submitted a building design. But, yes, it will be quite interesting to see what they come up with.

They were given a firm height limit, so no spire. It would be a sacrifice of leaseable space.

I would also be a little less excited about a spire at that location up to 500', given that it would make the building thinner and it doesn't push past the 300' buildings on all sides by that much. It might get lost.

Cambridge should have given them 600-650. Would have helped a lot.

South…..Station…..Tower…….

and North Station - - would have been great symbolism of the two poles of Downtown Boston (Plus nice interesting transit landmarks for pedestrians).

THOSE were egregious misses.

But yes, a nice spire in Cambridge would be great - I’m hoping for the future.

Back